The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 6, 2011, 01:31 PM   #1
wlemay

Mini-14 factory folding stock?

For a long time I have been trying to find a reasonably priced wood/metal factory folding stock for a mini-14 rifle or at least a lookalike, but have had no luck. I don't know what it is about that stock but I love the way it looks and have to find one.

I want to know if there are any companies that produce folding stocks like the original factory ones from the 80's, or if ruger still even makes them ( I have heard that they do not offer them to general public, but that was like 5 years ago. )

I also want to know if anyone has had experience with these folding stocks and knows if they will fit the newer 580 / 581 series minis.

( I am aware of ATI, butler creek, and a few others that make folders for mini-14 rifles, but they look nothing like the original & are cheesey at best.)

---> So far it seems like the consensus is that you can't really get these stocks anymore for less than $400 (a crap-ton considering how simple it is). I say we all start pestering the heck out of Ruger, to get them to bring back these classic stocks. I am sure they would not lose any money on it considering people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a used one.

Last edited by wlemay; February 7, 2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old February 6, 2011, 06:43 PM   #2
zombieslayer

Welcome to the forum.
I too want a factory folder. And I'd like to know if they fit 580's. Probably not. Saw an old ss mini with a factory folder at a gunshow this weekend, and the guy wanted $1100!
Old February 6, 2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Icopy1

The factory folders will cost you around $450 if you can find one. Search Ebay and Gunbroker for the folders. Occassionaly you will find an aftermarket one made by Falcon and these are close to the original factory. I've seen these go for as low as $200.

I am still kicking myself for passing up a GB factory folder for $450 right after the ban sunsetted.
Old February 6, 2011, 10:34 PM   #4
joehorner

There have been a couple of post on Perfect Union Board with the late model minis that will fit a factory folder. I recently purchased a 184xxx factory folder (blued) that belonged to a friend of mine who passed away. He was the original owner and it was and is "UNFIRED" . It is in perfect condition. According to Ruger it was born "June of 1983". Factory folders command high dollars. Attached is a pic of it alongside of my modified 186xxx Check it out.............Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 186+184 005.jpg (102.9 KB, 311 views)
Old February 7, 2011, 02:07 AM   #5
armsmaster270

My mini had a Ruger folder on it when I sold it (silly me) It was great to store the rifle and only OK to use, the metal was cold when you put your cheek to it and there were other detractors I can't remember, but it was serviceable.
Old February 7, 2011, 11:23 AM   #6
theinvisibleheart

BC stock

try Butler Creek. It's rock solid and available for something like $70-$80/each.
Old February 7, 2011, 05:40 PM   #7
wlemay

reply to butler creek:

Quote:
try Butler Creek. It's rock solid and available for something like $70-$80/each.
I already said I'm not interested in BC, BTW I already have a ATI folder & I want to steer away from anything else that is plastic ,not that it is crappy or anything like that, I just want the real deal.

I would have bought a BC but I don't like the plastic. When it is folded up I find that the end of the stock is right in the way of where I like to hold on to and is a little awkward feeling.

Last edited by wlemay; February 7, 2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old March 5, 2012, 12:03 AM   #8
tomdomma

Some people might consider the Federal Ordnance stocks to be comparable to the OG folding stocks. I actually like how they fold under the rifle instead of to the side. I hear one of the drawbacks is that the stock can't be folded with a 30 round magazine attached. Doesn't matter much though because in my opinion both the stock and a 30 round mag are pretty unnecessary. It does look pretty awesome though.

Regardless of the stock, you should make sure it has the stock reinforcement and forend liner. They can be purchased through midway if it doesn't have them. I'd go with the stainless over the blued.

Good luck
Old March 5, 2012, 09:35 AM   #9
Skans

You can find factory folding stocks for $350-$400; that's just what they sell for. Yes, there was an aftermarket stock made that look very similar to the factory Ruger folder. You would have to look really close to tell the differences. These clone stocks are even harder to find and they still sell for about $250 if you were to find one. They are pretty good quality, though.

There was also an underfolder made for the Mini-14. They look like the factory folder, except the stock folds under like an AK-47 rather than to the side. These are pretty good quality and would give you a similar "look" to the factory folder. I've seen the underfolders sell for $150-$200, and it's been a number of years since I've seen one for sale.

One other alternative is a SCAR (Sage) stock. It's made of milled aluminum and you can add a folding stock to it (comes with AR type stock)
Old September 7, 2012, 06:29 PM   #10
jcsturgeon

Why are these things so rare? A quick GIS plus the priced tag on some used ones shows there's a pretty big market for these. I'm kind of surprised no one seems to make an after market wooden folding stock... or that Ruger doesn't re-introduce them. Hell, I'd buy one.
Old September 7, 2012, 08:51 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Why are Ruger factory folding stocks so rare?

People who have them generally don't part with them.
Old September 8, 2012, 09:42 AM   #12
Skans

They are rare because they can't be easily replicated. You can't just take a Mini-14 stock, cut it down and make a factory (styled) folder. There were some aftermarket folders that come close to the look and feel of the factory folder. There was even a neat underfolder version that I like - I've seen those sell for about $250. Factory folding stocks go for roughly $400, when you can find them.

Ruger never sold their factory folding stocks to the public, so they had to be married to a Mini-14. The Buttler Creek stocks work, but they are ugly (IMHO). I paid about $400 for a Sage-SCAR stock for my AC-556, and then bought the parts to make it a side-folder (I don't like the AR look for the Mini-14.) The Sage stock is far more practical and comfortable than the original folder. I have put my side-folding stock safely away, but would never part with it.
Old September 8, 2012, 01:57 PM   #13
jcsturgeon

I wish there was even a company that made a wood after market replica... there's just no way to even get one. It's kind of frustrating. Anyway, I e-mailed Ruger to ask why they don't make them anymore (they make an ugly synthetic one) and if they ever planned to re-release the wood one. Maybe that will help let them know there's a market.
Old September 8, 2012, 04:11 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

So I went to Perfect Union and found the image of the near-factory folding stock. It was the second version of RamLine and the distinction is the AR style grip. Go to this link and look at image #7:

Link
Old September 9, 2012, 06:25 AM   #15
jcsturgeon

Unfortunately, RamLine doesn't seem to make those anymore. Even the after market guys stopped making the wood folder.

Tags
folding , mini 14 , mini-14 , ruger , stock