The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2009, 12:21 AM   #1
mwcarl

Anyone use Green Dot in 45ACP Load

Does anyone use green dot for a 45acp load. I found a recipe in the lee manual that uses it for a 185 grain jacketed bullet with a start load of 6.5grains with a max load of 6.8grains. Not much to work with on that load. Also in the lee manual it just states jacketed bullet and I would be using JHP. Would the pressure be different between a jacketed round nose and a jacketed hollow point. The only reason I am considering green dot is that powder is hard to come by where I live and green dot and 700x is the only powder I can find in stock around here.
Old February 5, 2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Chucky64

If Green dot is all u have, use it.

I inherited a 8 pound jug of greendot and there is nothing wrong with using it as a pistol powder. My problem with greendot is that my powder measure would not throw consistent powder charges, with the flake powder. Here is the link for the "Burn rate" of different powders. Look at the powders above and below green dot and hopefully you will find more loads for those powders listed. Just be careful and start low and work Your way up.
http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
Old February 5, 2009, 12:36 AM   #3
Big-O-2

I have not used green dot, but I have used the 700-X in 9mm and I plan to use it in my 45 ACP as well. It seems to be a good all around powder, it takes a little less then most other powders to make your loads, so it last a little longer then I expected.

David
Old February 5, 2009, 12:43 AM   #4
zxcvbob

I've used Green Dot in 9mm; it worked great, but I switched to Bullseye because it meters better. It should also work well in .45ACP, plus you won't be trying to measure such small charges.
Old February 5, 2009, 12:50 AM   #5
mwcarl

I did load some rounds with 700x last weekend in my xd45 and I have no complaints. I started at 4.5grains with 185grain JHP and worked up to 5.1. I really liked the 4.5 and 4.7 grain load. Most accurate and a very mild recoil.