The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 31, 2016, 12:10 PM   #1
Fuzzymaster

Bolt 22, New Savage or used Marlin

I am wanting to get a 22 bolt rifle and do not want to pay for a CZ. So it looks like a new Savage model, FV or FV SR would be my choice. The SR just because the HPA bill might pass, hopefully at some point. Now, some of the older Marlins are said to have amazing accuracy. The money saved could go for glass. The rifle will be used for mainly pests, but it;s fun to shoot paper and see a nice little group.
Old January 31, 2016, 12:23 PM   #2
Greg500sw

Savage FVSR gets my vote.

Be careful, they are fun to trick out...

I paid $225 for mine brand new and have put probably 6x what I paid for it in stuff to make it "Tacticool"

It's my go to pest gun inside 200 yards for anything coyote size and smaller.

With match ammo It will put 5 shots into a inch square at 100 yards darn near every time. Even when it doesn't it says under 1.3"

Old January 31, 2016, 02:12 PM   #3
Dranrab

Greg that is a seriously sweet rig. OP, the Savage heavy barrel rifles are hard to beat. The Accu-trigger is fantastic. I have never heard of one being inaccurate. About the only functional complaints I have ever heard of was cheesy magazine related issues.
Old January 31, 2016, 03:16 PM   #4
Snyper

Even the cheapest 22's are inherently accurate.
I'd get a Ruger 77/22 myself, or any tube fed bolt action.
The crappy magazines are the biggest drawback to most 22's
Old January 31, 2016, 03:35 PM   #5
alex0535

My only Marlin vs savage rimfire bolt experience was with a light barreled savage 93r17 and a heavy barreled Marlin 917v both in 17 hmr.

I liked the Marlin more, its used and pre-remington. What I would look for would be something before that too. My complaint is that the savage accu-trigger will trounce any Marlin trigger from that time. You'll probably want to budget a rifle basics trigger for it.

A heavy barreled savage would probably be great, and you won't have to buy a new trigger to get a weight you want for better accuracy.

At this point I've coveted the CZ rimfires long enough, and they have a reputation for shooters, and an even more adjustable trigger than the savage, that id also heavily consider one from them.
Old January 31, 2016, 06:24 PM   #6
akguy59

another one to consider would be the Ruger American rimfire. I have one with the 18" threaded barrel and love it. Great trigger, highly accurate, interchangeable stock combs. Also very reasonably priced, I got mine for pocket change over $250.
Old January 31, 2016, 06:44 PM   #7
Panfisher

Personally I don't like magazines sticking our the bottom of a rifle, ones I have owned never caused me any problems just don't like it. I like clean lines and not too heavy as I like to hunt and not belly up to the target line in competition. Did that in college and it left me wanting the smell of the woods and a squirrel or two on my belt. I have never had a bad shooting Marlin, but like the Savages too. Hold some of each and at least one will call your name and you will keep.coming back to it. I love my Ruger 77/22.
Old February 1, 2016, 05:42 PM   #8
Fuzzymaster

I looked the the Ruger American Rimfire, and found the Model 8334 Predator. I like everything about it except haven't found many reviews, especially accuracy. Thats where Savage MKII always seems to shine.