The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 25, 2012, 03:00 PM   #1
cchesser1990

First 1911

Hey guys, new to the forum here, been a reader for a long time. Looking into getting a 1911, been wanting one since I was a kid. Looking to stay around 600-700 for a nice looking reliable model. So far I've looked at the Para GI Expert, STI Spartan V, Springfield Mil Spec, Ruger SR1911, and RIA Tactical. These all seem like quality within my price range. Any suggestions on which model to go with out of these options? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old November 25, 2012, 03:05 PM   #2
willmc33

Others experiences may be different but my G.I. Expert was pretty problematic. Had alot of malfunctions and only really seemed to like 1 kind of ammo. I am looking at getting a different kind of 1911 right now. Just my experience with it but it was a bad one.
Old November 25, 2012, 03:36 PM   #3
cchesser1990

yea thats the only thing kinda scaring me away from para. seems to be alot of horror stories about quality online now that ive looked and no one has anything good to say about their customer service.
Old November 25, 2012, 03:41 PM   #4
bird_dog

My Para GI Expert has been very good -- except with the factory magazines. Lots of failures to return to battery. With 2 Kimber mags, none of those issues.

I think it's a great gun. My only other 1911 was a Springfield GI, and it's comparable to that, with several upgrades such as lowered ejection port and much better sights.

I'd recommend it.
Old November 25, 2012, 03:50 PM   #5
erob3

Welcome to the starting of the "yellow brick road" for 1911's and the forum.

The RIA is an excellent pistol, I currently own a RIA 1911 9mm Tactical and it is great. The STI frame is actually made by RIA so it could be argued they are the same pistol. It is true STI have the frames shipped to them and they finish them. So, is STI and RIA the same pistol other than "human hands" finishing it?

As to the Springfield, I owned a Springfield Mil-Spec and it was fine. No problems with anything other than the trigger out of the box; it was terrible. I was able to do a trigger job on it and after that it was better but off it went. I don't miss it.

That only leaves the Para and that one I cannot comment on because I have not owned one.

Ahh the Ruger SR1911. This is the one from your list I would recommend. Why? First off it is American made! It has every option I think should be on a 1911 and NO more; Combat Trigger, Combat hammer, Beavertail safety, NO front slide serrations, SS finish, Novak adjustable rear sights, nice grips and a nice trigger out of the box. Not too mention the company of Ruger standing behind it. And all for well within the price range you are wanting to spend. There is a reason these are difficult to find and the others are not.

Good Luck - I hope this helped.
Old November 25, 2012, 03:57 PM   #6
cchesser1990

thanks for the help guys i appreciate the input. I was at first leaning towards the para gi due to the fact i can get one for 550 so its the cheapest out of the bunch and i think it looks the best. The ruger looks awesome but Ive heard by the few shops ive gone to that theyre extremely hard to come by and Id have to wait a while. RIA looks cheap to me even though ive heard nothing but good things about them the looks are kinda throwing me off. Im fairly set on the mil spec springfield now, not just because of springfield quality and customer service but also they come with a nice case, holster, two mags and the works which some of the others do not. So that would save me some money on accesories. Ive heard the springfield mags are decent.

Anyone know of anything else i should be looking at within my range?
Old November 25, 2012, 04:03 PM   #7
cchesser1990

i guess i should also say that the main use of this gun will be to look pretty in my collection, which up until this point includes a WWII 8mm Mauser and P38, a Wasr 10, and a bunch of old .22s and .410s. I mostly just target shoot with my guns so ill shoot it a couple times a month, have my p38 by my bedside now for protection but this may take its place. Hopefully going on a boar hunt sometime next year too so this will ride my hip when i go there as well.
Old November 25, 2012, 04:12 PM   #8
royal barnes

One pistol you did not mention that falls into your price range is the Remington R1. I have several friends who own them and there have been no issues plus it's made in the USA.
Old November 25, 2012, 04:14 PM   #9
cchesser1990

good point, the remington 1911 enhanced is one i had looked at online before and it is a beautiful pistol, all the prices ive seen on it though have been around the 800 dollar range. I know the basic version is less but im looking for that tactical look with some decent sights.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:17 AM   #10
cuba

PT1911

You owe it to yourself to look at the PT1911 it is made from hammer forged steel (barrel, frame, slide) comes totally feature laden with all the modern upgrades, has a no questions asked life time warranty and offers the most bang for your buck $650.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
Old November 26, 2012, 12:31 AM   #11
540EdgeFlyer

My LGS has the Kimber Custom II on sale right now for $699. I think regular price is $729. That's a lotta gun for that kinda dough.
Old November 26, 2012, 03:24 AM   #12
scsov509

Quote:
Im fairly set on the mil spec springfield now, not just because of springfield quality and customer service but also they come with a nice case, holster, two mags and the works which some of the others do not.
If you plan on shooting it much then you're going to find out in a hurry that the sights on the GI models like the mil-spec are pretty bad, and upgrading them is a pretty substantial undertaking. For how much you're talking the RIA or Armscorp 1911's are a lot more gun for the price, especially given features like a high ride beaver tail and much better Novak-style sights with a dovetail that allows a lot of aftermarket options. If you're sold on a Springer then I'd look at stepping up to something like the Loaded or Range Officer to at least get into a better sight setup. That alone is worth the extra cost IMO, or if you want to stay in your price range then I'd give another look at something like a RIA or Remington.
Old November 26, 2012, 02:09 PM   #13
JimDandy

I'm more interested in a high ride beaver tail... I've gotten slide bite once. And it was my own fault that no beaver tail would have prevented, but it learned me a thing or two. I never made that mistake again, and will always prefer the high ride so that I've got more protection.
Old November 26, 2012, 02:16 PM   #14
Ajtozzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540EdgeFlyer View Post
My LGS has the Kimber Custom II on sale right now for $699. I think regular price is $729. That's a lotta gun for that kinda dough.
At $699 this is almost a no brainier.
Old November 26, 2012, 02:48 PM   #15
DASHZNT

Yea.. agreed. Anything that goes bang for that price is a total no brainer!!

DASHZNT
Old November 26, 2012, 04:16 PM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

A very handy link for folks looking into buying their first 1911s: http://www.1911addicts.com/showthrea...u-1911-addicts...
Old November 26, 2012, 10:04 PM   #17
Captain H

scsov509

The SA Milspec has good sights these days, not like in the 80's & '90s. They are not the tiny GI ones you are thinking of.
Old November 26, 2012, 10:30 PM   #18
TheoShooter

I've looked at several of the Remington R1's in that price range and they seem pretty good. I presently have a Colt, Kimber, and Smith&Wesson 1911 and they are all very nice but cost more than what you're looking for. Good luck in your quest. Be safe.
Old November 27, 2012, 01:30 AM   #19
scsov509

Quote:
The SA Milspec has good sights these days, not like in the 80's & '90s. They are not the tiny GI ones you are thinking of.
I'm familiar with them, we've sold several Mil-Spec pistols to guys looking for a 1911 on the cheap. They may be better than some of the smaller blades they've used in the past, but they're still a poor sight IMO. The other thing I don't like about them aside from the style is they're not upgradeable without cutting new dovetails into the slide. If you look at the cost of cutting new dovetails and installing new sights, then the upgraded sights of the Loaded or Range Officer are worth the cost alone, and that's before you consider the other enhanced features like the beavertail safety. And even if you don't want to spend that additional money you can still get something like a RIA or Armscorp 1911 at the same cost as the Mil-Spec, but those have the additional features and better sights which I think is just a lot better bang for your buck. But that's just me, YMMV.