The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 12, 2011, 09:39 PM   #1
MEATSAW

Just bought a Finn M39 B barrel

Just purchased a Finn M39 "B" barrel from Pat Burns. Shipped out within a few hours of placing order! I can't wait to get it!

http://gunsnammo.com/4273X.htm<-- pictures.
Old May 14, 2011, 04:08 AM   #2
p99guy

I got an unissued B barreled M39 from her last autum..... Easily my favorite Mosin! bet you like yours too.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:12 AM   #3
TX Hunter

Very nice looking Rifle, I bought an older Sako from Mrs Burns.
It was shipped very quickly and was exactly as described.
It is nice to be able to see detailed pictures of what you are buying before you buy it. I recomend buying from her also.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Garand1957

I just got a 1941 VKT in a excellent war time stock and a antique receiver last week.
I am very happy with the rifle and it's the fifth M/39 rifle I have purchased from WGA over the years.
It was listed at her web site as "with sling". When it arrived there was no sling.
I gave them a call and a guy answered the phone. After I explained there was no sling and giving him my name etc. he said " well, that's impossible because I put a sling on every rifle myself before we box them up".
I was silent for a few seconds unsure how to respond
I said: " I can tell you I looked through this box twice and all the newspaper packing and there is no sling here."
He started back with a very annoyed sounding voice " I will have to call you back"
He eventually called back after I left for work and told my wife " It's not worth arguing over" and agreed to send a sling.
I did recieve a sling a few days later but am a little miffed that he insinuated I was lying about not getting a sling.
Old May 16, 2011, 12:34 PM   #5
TX Hunter

Gerand 1956

Mine didnt come with a sling either.
Old May 16, 2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Garand1957

Was it listed "with free sling" ?
Not sure if it was some kind of special deal they were running when I ordered.
I noticed the web site still lists: SALE UP TO 10% OFF AND FREE SLING WITH ALL RIFLE PURCHASES
Old May 16, 2011, 01:22 PM   #7
TX Hunter

No it wasnt i orderd mine last summer.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:50 PM   #8
MEATSAW

I should be getting it on Wednesday. It should have the sling. So I am wanting to put a scout scope mount on it. Not sure if I want to get the S&K mount or the Darrel's mount. Whichever allows me to mount the scope lower...
Old May 16, 2011, 07:59 PM   #9
TX Hunter

Meatsaw

I really wish you would not Drill and Tap this historical relic.
But it is yours, so you have the freedom to do what you wish with it.
Old May 16, 2011, 08:59 PM   #10
MEATSAW

These mounts do NOT drill/tap anything. They make no permanent modifications to the rifle (no gunsmithing necessary) and in a matter of minutes you can re-install everything back to stock configuration. I wouldn't do it if I didn't already consider this.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:44 AM   #11
TX Hunter

Meat Saw

In that case go ahead and please let us know how it shoots.
Old May 18, 2011, 08:50 PM   #12
MEATSAW

Ok so I got the rifle from the UPS guy today. Got it un-packaged and she's a beauty. Packed pretty heavy with cosmoline. Action was slick and the trigger was noticeably better than my old M44.

So I began the cosmoline removal process with a heat gun, some xylene and plenty of rags. Stuff came off easy!

Now comes the interesting part... I started the disassembly process. As soon as I removed the stock it was quite apparent that everything that was enclosed in the stock was coated with sand and dirt! I mean the stuff was EVERYWHERE! It took more than an hour with a box of q-tips, RemOil, and compressed air to get it out. I'm sure there a still a few grains of sand here and there. I found this to be quite odd, as I have never heard of people talking about finding dirt and sand in their C&R rifles. I mean it looked as if it stormed the beaches of Normandy (of course it didn't) and then got dunked in cosmoline and stored. Obviously no one bothered to field strip it before storage. It makes me wonder where the sand is from?

Anyone came across this before?
Old May 19, 2011, 07:15 AM   #13
jhenry

My 1943 Sako M39 on a 1916 receiver that I got from Pat Burns had pine needles and some dirt in it. Also, the receiver is shimmed to fit, the trigger is quite nice, I never had to touch the sights, and it will hold an honest and witnessed sub 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yards with irons and dirt cheap surplus. This is with a decent but far from pristine bore.

It came with a sling Easily one of my favorite fun guns.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:39 AM   #14
shooter970

My m39 1944 sako SK.Y had dirt, and straw in it and looks like blood rust around the muzzle and sight ears.
Old May 19, 2011, 11:10 AM   #15
TX Hunter

I have never disasembled mine its a war time sako. I will never know for sure. But it looks like its seen action. I treat it with respect.
Old May 19, 2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Wyosmith

There Mosin Nagants have quite a following. I also enjoy my own a lot.

I am tempted to buy a 7.62X54R chamber Reamer with interchangeable pilots. I may start doing re-barreling on those that have poor-to-fair bores.

I will use both .308" and 310" bore barrels. That’s why I want to get a reamer with both pilots.
That way I can re-barrel either the Russian or the Finish rifles. Or even re-barrel the Russian rifles to the Finnish specs.

The ammo is so cheap that many men don’t want 308” bore guns. The better Russian ammo shoots very well, and it’s about half the price of a reloaded cartridge using all American components. We can’t say how long the cheap ammo will be available however.

For those that want to handload with good American components, I would recommend going to a .308 bore instead of the .310 bore barrels.

Do you gentlemen think that there would be enough call for such work?

To rebarrel a Mosin in most cases, it would cost more then the usual price of the rifle.
But I still think such work would be in demand. People will often spend $100 for the stock and action, knowing that for an additional $250 they can have a rifle with a perfect bore. At least I believe that to be the case. I would replace the sights and blue the new barrels for that price.
What are your thought gentlemen?
Old May 19, 2011, 02:07 PM   #17
Garand1957

Quote:
Do you gentlemen think that there would be enough call for such work?
Not with Finnish Mosin M/39 rifles because most have good bores to start with. Then the other model Finnish Mosin rifles are too collectable to screw up by messing with.
Many Soviet Mosin rifles are too cheap to replace at less than $100 to pay $250 anyone to rebarrel it. At that point you have $350 in a no longer collectable rifle that could never be sold for anywhere near what you have spent. You could simply buy a collectable M/39 that has a nice/like new bore that shoots very well with suroplus ammo for that price. An original Finnish Mosin rifle will likely increase in value over time unlike a "customized" one that takes a steep nose dive in value the day you start "customizing" it.
Old May 19, 2011, 08:53 PM   #18
shooter970

Myself I would like to have a custom hunting rifle in 7.62x54r so I would be interested.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:05 AM   #19
Wyosmith

Garand1957 has expressed a few of my thoughts very well. That is why I have not spent the cash yet to start this project.

However, we are in the same place right now with MN rifles that we were a few years ago with mausers. There was a time when you could buy an entire Mauser 98 rifle for less then a re-barrel job. But that made no difference to the men and women that wanted a good mauser in either full military configuration, or in a sporterized configuration.

Now, the MN is never going to be as shapely or pretty as a well made Mauser sporter, but it's a way to get into a very solid 30 cal military rifle or a "sporterized" hunting rifle for less than you'd pay for a 30-30 lever action at Wal-Mart, and you'd be getting a more accurate, more powerful and more reliable rifle than you would get with the lever action.

The down side of this project is the fact that any man who would look at a MN as an investment is going to be offered only 1 caliber, the 7.62X54R.

Sure, MNs can be converted to other calibers and the magazines and actions reworked, but by doing that you may start to push into the price range of having a good custom rifle done on a Mauser. So in my opinion the original 7.62X54R is the way to go with this kind of project.
One thing can be said, there is certainly NOTHING wrong with that caliber, and for those that want to use the American standard diameter bullets, I would offer the jobs with .308" bores.

There are potential pros and cons that are equally weighty in this idea.
I truly want to hear from you gentlemen what you think.
Thanks to Garand1957 for putting out his opinions. I want to hear more.
Fire away gentlemen.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:15 AM   #20
TX Hunter

wyosmith

i wouldnt advise using a .308 bore on a 7.62X54 because if someone used standard .311 ammo or surplus the pressure may be dangerous
Old May 22, 2011, 10:43 AM   #21
Wyosmith

That can be a consideration, but it's got to be pointed out that all the Finnish MS are 308-309, and people fire them. All Finnish Mosins have Russian made receivers and bolts too. So from the standpoint of the barreled action, rebarreling a 91/30 with a 308 bore is no different then what the Finns did with millions of them.
Old May 22, 2011, 11:48 AM   #22
TX Hunter

Wyosmith

I was unaware of this i thought they were .311 anyhow its a good action and im sure that with the amount of Mosins in our Country and around the world there will alwayse be amunition available for them, even after the cheap surplus runs out. So i think your project would be worthwhile.
Old May 22, 2011, 04:56 PM   #23
Wyosmith

I have been told that both Hornady and Remington are making it in this country on a limited basis.
Is that true? Have any of you guys seen such ammo?

I would be curious to know what bullets they are loaded with. Remington makes 180 grain .311" bullets and Hornady makes a few bullets in the .312" diameter. But if we look at Hornady's handbook for reloading they show all their data with .308" bullets.
Does anyone have any details?
Old May 22, 2011, 06:15 PM   #24
kraigwy

With the advent of the CMP GSM Vintage Sniper Rifle Matches, Hornady is making match ammo for the 7.62X54R. I haven't seen any as yet but I understand it will be available for the CMP Eastern & Western Games as well as Perry.

Personally I wont shoot surplus ammo in mine. It (91/30) has a good bore and I load Sierra .311 bullets with Winchester Brass. It shoots quite well in my rifle.

I put on a CPM-GSM Clinic and Match yesterday, there were three Mosin's in attendence, the surplus ammo gave fits to two of the Mosins. I loaned mine out, with my ammo, and it produced no problems.

Yes surplus ammo is cheaper then quality reloads, but I'll take accuracy over cheap any day.

A good 91/30 will shoot as good as a finish model if one learns to shoot it, and takes care in the loading of ammo for it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 22, 2011, 06:24 PM   #25
kraigwy

Sorry, duplicate

Had a double.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; May 22, 2011 at 09:08 PM.