The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 25, 2012, 10:01 AM   #1
BPowderkeg

I Need An Answer To Why Is The Mosin Nagant Is So Popular ?

Mosin Nagant

What is so fascinating about this rifle ? seems every gun forum i visit has Q's about this rifle. personally i do NOT like foreign military guns...., with one exception. i would love to own a Lugar, i had a chance to buy an UNFIRED 9mm American Eagle Lugar for $800.00.., i screwed up and passed it up.

does anyone here own a Lugar ? how would you rate it against any other 9mm pistol ?
Old February 25, 2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Skadoosh

The Mosin Nagant is cheap and still plentiful.
Old February 25, 2012, 10:11 AM   #3
okiewita40

The thing with a M/N is they are cheap and powerful. Can be a lot of fun if you want to tinker too. As a plus the surplus ammo is cheap also. I have seen a few video's of guys shooting the M/N out to 800 yards. YMMV
Old February 25, 2012, 11:14 AM   #4
emcon5

They are cheap, and artifacts of the most historicly significant time period in recent history. And you can get a 880 round case of ammo for $140.
Old February 25, 2012, 11:19 AM   #5
tobnpr

For me, it was the perfect choice to be able to have a fun project off a cheap, and quite accurate action that is also capable of long-range performance.
This rifle was fun to build- and yes, because I did the work myself, I have less "in it" than a comparable Savage or (fill in the blank).

Would the factory rifle be a bit more accurate? Yes...but mine is still capable of sub-minute accuracy with match grade handloads.

Others like to collect them because of the wide variations in history/markings. They are quite fascinating to collectors, but I do feel that the values of some have been overdone recently.

Overall, they're a fun rifle to shoot, the round is comparable to the 30.06 both in terms of power and accuracy. If you hunt, it will take any game on the continent. Where else are you gonna find that for under $100?

Old February 25, 2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Father Time

The Mosin is popular because its cheap to buy and shoot and tough as nails.

And they have lots of different variations so if your into collecting they are good for that as well.

Quote:
does anyone here own a Lugar ? how would you rate it against any other 9mm pistol ?
The Luger (spelled with an E not an A btw) is a good pistol but its not as reliable or durable as modern 9mm handguns. Its got lots of parts and is kind complicated. But they are fun to shoot and the do have a certain visual appeal.
Old February 25, 2012, 11:48 AM   #7
BigMikey76

Cheap is the key word. They are proven rifles, and make either a good historical piece or a good base for building without spending an arm and a leg. Of course the build can add up if you start going crazy with it, but it doesn't have to, which makes the MN a good choice for a fairly wide variety of people.

tobnpr - nice looking rifle. What kind of stock is that?
Old February 25, 2012, 11:51 AM   #8
RC20

It seems the only reason you posted was to express you dislike of something that you have no interest in (and then make and exception so you can grouse about how you failed to get a foreign gun that you have decided is an exception to your distain.)

And that contributes to the forum how?
Old February 25, 2012, 11:56 AM   #9
the rifleer

Don't buy one, it leave more for people that actually want one. you can buy a high powered rifle that shoots decently and 440 rounds of ammo all for less than $200 dollars. There is no deal anywhere else come comes close to that.
Old February 25, 2012, 12:30 PM   #10
rickyrick

1. Cheap.
2. Powerful
3. Most are in good condition.
4. Fun.
Old February 25, 2012, 12:33 PM   #11
kraigwy

It's cheap, its a piece of history, farily accurate (once you learn how to shoot it).

It allows anyone, regardless of income to shoot competition and be competitive.

Competition being the CMP GSM Vintage Military Matches.

I ran a CMP GSM match last spring, the guy who won just bought the Mosin and some surplus ammo the night before. First shots he fired out of his new Mosin was the sighters for the match.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 25, 2012, 12:49 PM   #12
KenLondregan

It’s currently $109 on budgun.com. For the price it’s hard to find a better rifle. Plus, these rifles are a piece of history. The only drawback I have noticed is that every listing online describes the rifles as being covered in cosmoline (a rust preventative applied before storage). I have never dealt with cosmoline before but it doesn’t sound like fun to remove. That is the only thing holding me back from getting one.
Old February 25, 2012, 02:02 PM   #13
kraigwy

Quote:
I have never dealt with cosmoline before but it doesn’t sound like fun to remove. That is the only thing holding me back from getting one.
I've bought a lot of surplus rifles, bayonets 'n such, covered in cosmoline. I found kerosene is the best and easiest to remove that gunk, soak it, brush and wipe it away.

I certainly wouldn't let that stop me from buying a rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 25, 2012, 03:07 PM   #14
publius

Cheap and I'm not sure running over it with a tank would ruin it.
Old February 25, 2012, 03:41 PM   #15
Irish B

Cheap, powerful, and virtually indestructible. Cheap to mod too.
Old February 25, 2012, 03:46 PM   #16
TX Hunter

I think everyone answered it, but they are alot of fun, and such a Rugged Rifle, great for hunting, very powerfull and so far I have not heard about anyone having trouble with them other than the ocasional sticky bolt, or shooting high. I like them in their original form, but have seen some really cool looking sporterized ones. This rifle works, as a matter of fact its been encountered on the battle fields of Afganastan and Irac in modern day combat.
Old February 26, 2012, 04:13 AM   #17
Scorch

They're cheap, rugged, inexpensive to own and operate, fire cheap ammo, fairly powerful, and have the "other side" aura about them, whether you are referring to WW1, WW2, or the Cold War and its associated skirmishes (like the 1963-1975 Southeast Asia War Games).
Old February 26, 2012, 06:33 AM   #18
Dr. Strangelove

Looks like you got your Mosin Nagant answers.

The Luger is a great pistol, to me one of the most beautiful ever designed. The German models are very reliable with the FMJ German Army standard ammunition they were designed to shoot, but modern ammo can cause problems.

The toggle design is very finicky as far as being clean and doesn't like mud, dirt, etc. It's a very heavy pistol for it's size and has a small magazine capacity.

I love 'em, but most any modern 9mm, even the venerable Browning Hi Power will eat it's lunch on anything except collector value.
Old February 26, 2012, 07:05 AM   #19
Kreyzhorse

They are cheap and in great condition. Why wouldn't they be popular?
Old February 26, 2012, 08:08 AM   #20
Tikirocker

There's no teaching someone to get it ... you either get it or you don't. Seems this post would have been better served discussing what you do like ... Lugers.

Tiki.
Old February 26, 2012, 08:55 AM   #21
spyderdude

I think the Mosin Nagant is ugly as sin but for 100 dollars you get a rifle that fires a hard hitting round capable of reaching out to very long distances. I own a 91/30 and if I ever run out of ammo it'll make a superior club and spear with the bayonet attached!
Old February 26, 2012, 09:12 AM   #22
Sarge

I grew up in the golden age of milsurp rifles, when wonderful old Mausers and '03s and SMLE's were abundant. So this recent obsession with one of that family's ugly sisters is perplexing to me as well.

You have to understand that today's shooter is far more media-driven... one good movie like Enemy at the Gates is all it takes for a gun to take on cult status. Beyond that, the Mosin is cheap, accurate enough and durable as hell. Add plentiful, cheap milsurp ammo and you have the star of the moment.

I remember when SKS rifles were everywhere for under $100 and Chicom ammo was cheap as sunshine. Everybody had one and everybody who didn't, wanted one.That all changed and the Mosin has replaced it.

Never be surprised when history repeats itself/
Old February 26, 2012, 09:16 AM   #23
BPowderkeg

i want to thank everyone for your honest replies..., it is CHEAP !!
Old February 26, 2012, 09:28 AM   #24
deerslayer303

^^^ I'm with ya Sarge, I remember my Dad bought me my first hunting rifle when i was 14 ( an enfield no.4 mkI) He told me he paid 79.00 for it. Try touching one for that now. And when I turned 18 I bought a Norinco SKS for 80 buck at a gun show, they are what now 250? So yeah I am buying the heck out of Mosins right now,call me crazy but they won't be 100 bucks forever.
Old February 26, 2012, 09:39 AM   #25
TX Hunter

BpowderKeg

If you dont like them nobody really cares.