The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2002, 11:02 AM   #1
anand

Custom Bullet Moulds for Hi power in .30 Mauser.

Hi,
As mentioned in some of my other posts, I am working on converting a Browning Hi Power to .30 Mauser & 7.62x25 Tokarev.
These rounds in standard factory lengths are too long to fit the magazine of the Hi power. A custom 1/2 E Ogive is required to ensure magazine fit and smooth reliable chambering.
I' ve read that the factory bullet weights range from 86 grains to 110 grains.
Some .32 acp (unjacketed lead) bullets are even lighter (55 grains -75 grains) and shorter and they might work, I am using these to experiment.

Who can make me a custom bullet mould if I can give them specifications like length, weight and Ogive etc?

Anand
Old September 4, 2002, 12:04 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Check with Colorado Shooter's Supply at (505) 627-1933 (no website or e-mail address given) and ask about Hoch Custom Bullet Moulds (Catalog #11, $3.00).

Another listing shows:
Colorado Shooter's Supply
P.O. Box 3777
Milan, NM 87021
505/285-3338
(moulds)

They make bullet molds by lathe boring and since there is no labor or expense to grind a "cherry" can turn out anything you can furnish a drawing for. I understand they will even help on design. Pistol molds run from $70 up. Way up.
Old September 4, 2002, 07:02 PM   #3
sjc1

Try: www.neihandtools.com
Old September 5, 2002, 01:10 AM   #4
Paul Fitz Jones

Competition winning 30 Luger-mauser bullet mold

I had a 4 cavity Meehanite Iron mold made to Space age standards By California-Saeco in 1972 with a Cramer Co. cherry from the 40's for my 30 American Eagle and shooter Lugers that I have never used.
By varying the hardness and sizing diameters this 95 gr RN can be used for .32SW-L and 32-20 pistols also. It has a crimp groove.

All California-Saeco Molds were designed to win in target competition as the 4 bullets have the most identical weights of any molds ever made.

The current Redding Saeco sells their lesser quality materials and workmanship version for $192.50 with plain handles.

I also have a H&G San Diego made 32 caliber 6 cavity wadcutter mold like with handles.

Ca-Saeco's come with patterned gunstock walnut handles

Pics on request
Police Firearms Instructor

Last edited by Paul Fitz Jones; September 7, 2002 at 07:53 PM.
Old September 7, 2002, 04:41 PM   #5
AC

Cool project

Old West Bullet Moulds also will custom make bullet moulds. They are in Flora Vista, NM and usually advertise in Handloader magazine, but don't have a website. Good moulds and I own several.

NEI has a large mould selection (www.neihandtools.com).
Redding/saeco has a large selection of moulds and a website also.

While not pretending to know what 1/2 E means in terms of ogive shape, I have trouble believing someone doesn't make an off the shelf design that would work. Usually you don't want a bullet that seats deeper than the base of the neck but you may be able to break that rule with a case full of a slow powder.

And since the recoil spring in the original gun is set up for standard weight 9mm bullets, maybe you could use a bullet for .32-20s and such or light .30 caliber rifles and not have to change the recoil spring. I'm thinking of bullets around 110 grains. If you use a gas check bullet it will help when deep seating too, because even if there is a bit of gas cutting it cannot erode that copper gas check.

That is an interesting project. I've considered one in .30 Mauser myself, just because it would be unusual and Lugers in that caliber are reputed to be accurate. Are you sure that .30 Mauser in factory loads is too long for the magazine, because you are likely aware that Browning chambered the HP for one of the small bottle neck .30s and I had thought it was the Mauser round? Did they make a special magazine?

Who is making your barrel?
Old September 8, 2002, 04:32 PM   #6
anand

AC:
Hi powers and other pistols like 1911 Colt Commanders, Sig P210s, Ruger P 85s(?), Beretta 92s and a bunch of others were made in .30 Luger also called the 7.65mm Parabellum. Overall Cartridge length for these is 1.175 inches.

The .30 Mauser on the other hand has an overall length of 1.381 inches.These are similar to the 7.63mm Tokarev cartridges.So these will not fit the Hi power's magazine and hence this project.

Your suggestion is very good, in that using either a 110 Grain .30 Carbine or .32-20 bullet would be a good starting point to cut down the bullet and get where I want to. Makarov.com is advertising 113 Grain lead bullet for the 7.62mm Tokarev this might be the one.

My gunsmith intends to sleeve a regular 9mm barrel to .30 mauser.

Regards,
Anand