The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 25, 2016, 11:27 AM   #1
MikeGoob

Does any retailer ship in unmarked boxes?

I'm looking to get a few magazines shipped to my work address but want to avoid attention caused by the box saying 'weapons world' or similar. I know there are plenty of people who will say I should boast about gun rights at work, but in my case there are better ways.

Anyone know?
Old July 26, 2016, 07:56 AM   #2
CowTowner

All I ever get from http://www.sportsmansguide.com is plain boxes with shipping labels. No clue to contents. The same goes for http://www.cdnnsports.com
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old July 27, 2016, 09:36 AM   #3
dogtown tom

Quote:
MikeGoob I'm looking to get a few magazines shipped to my work address but want to avoid attention caused by the box saying 'weapons world' or similar.
Then buy from places that don't have gun in their name:
CDNN
Brownells
Sportsmans Guide
And there are thousands more...................

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 27, 2016, 11:28 AM   #4
carguychris

Although the OP's question applies to magazines specifically, there's an important point to note if mail-ordering ammunition.

Packages containing loaded cartridges MUST be labeled in some manner per USDOT regulations.

AFAIK UPS still accepts packages marked with the ORM-D "CARTRIDGES - SMALL ARMS" labels. This is pretty much a dead giveaway that there is ammunition in the package.

However, a shipper may also use the 4in x 4in "Limited Quantity" black-and-white diamond symbol when shipping via UPS, and AFAIK FedEx now requires the symbol. The symbol gives no verifiable clue as to the actual contents of the package, as the same symbol is used for a variety of commonplace household chemicals. However, the size requirement for the symbol makes it difficult to fit on small boxes, so make sure you order in bulk to be safe.

DHL and the U.S. Post Office do not handle ammo, so don't worry about them.

On another note, I've determined through experience that ordering anything from Midway USA results in the shipping address being added to their sales flyer mailing list, and it seemingly takes forever for the address to be dropped. Although the name "Midway USA" doesn't scream GUNS! in and of itself, their sales flyers make it obvious what they sell. Consider yourself warned.
Old July 27, 2016, 03:18 PM   #5
danco

Quote:
ORM-D "CARTRIDGES - SMALL ARMS" labels. This is pretty much a dead giveaway that there is ammunition in the package.
Yeah, but I'll bet you dollars to donuts most Liberals don't know what "CARTRIDGES" are...they seem to keep wanting to call them bullets, as in "that clip holds too many bullets"...

Every time I get a shipment of ammo at work, the people up front, who sign for it, just say, "ooh, that's heavy..."