The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 29, 2015, 06:49 AM   #51
BlueTrain

While not everything I say is meant to be taken literally, when I said if I were really religious, I wouldn't own a gun, I mean I wouldn't own any guns at all. And I also wouldn't own anything worth stealing either. We apparently have different ideas about religion. Christianity started going downhill when it became legal, followed by when it became required. Anyway, I certainly wouldn't kill someone. It would land me in a lot of legal trouble and probably upset the person's relatives.

Returning to running away, I understand there are laws in some places that require people to retreat when possible. Of course, it's not always possible, such as where I sit now upstairs at home.

I think one's reaction time or lack of, is going to make more difference than anything when something happens. Some people won't react no matter what happens, while others will react almost instantly, like in the incident aboard the French train. So ultimately, it isn't so much about weapons and training, it's about reacting. Curiously, on the train, it wasn't the bad guy who was charging, it was the good guys.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 29, 2015, 09:27 AM   #52
DaleA

Quote:
Even today we're buying land in the heart of the city--Ivy Hill Cemetery in Alexandria, Virginia.
Hokey smoke BlueTrain, go get your Colt! The way things are now, if you don't like it and want to get rid of it you might be able to MAKE some money on the deal.

Good luck.
Old August 30, 2015, 02:04 PM   #53
Glenn E. Meyer

Wandering off into religion isn't our thing. Stay away from it. Thanks.
Old September 1, 2015, 08:49 AM   #54
dannyb

The biggest inaccuracy that can be dispelled (maybe) is that you can be prepared for anything, even with situational awareness. Training and awareness are a huge help, but luck plays a huge part.

I grew up in NYC and was in HS during the Lindsay administration. I went to a private school whose uniform was blue blazer, grey slacks, white shirt, and tie (ie, walking target). I was 15, armed with a briefcase containing 20 lbs of books, and an attitude that came with having already been mugged twice. There was that moment when you suddenly realize that everyone around you is ignoring you except for this skinny kid who is approaching you.

He steps in front of me, opens his jacket, displays a butcher knife tucked into his belt, and demands 20 bucks. I've rehearsed my response to this situation and prepared to pit my loaded briefcase against his belted knife (yes, stupid but I was 15). Here comes the weird luck part.

As the crowd continues to ignore us, my mother actually steps out of the crowd and asks me who my little friend is. I mean that literally. The kid now has his hand inside his jacket. I decide that I need this situation to end quickly and nonviolently. I reach into my pocket, come up with the $10 that's in there and offer it to the kid while telling my mother that he's an acquaintance from school who wanted to borrow bus fare.

The kid grabs the $10 and scampers off. My mother questions me about when I expect to be repaid. I made something up because she did not need to know.

The above is why I purchased a revolver and learned to use it when I moved to PA. I pocket carry something smaller now, but know that it's better to be prepared but also that nothing can make you totally prepared.
Old September 1, 2015, 12:43 PM   #55
TimSr

Since are are in the political season, how about this myth? "Nobody wants to take your guns away."
Old September 2, 2015, 01:35 PM   #56
BlueTrain

If we can't discuss religion, I doubt we can discuss politics. But let's go off on another tangent.

Is advertising always truthful or accurate? Advertising years ago was decidedly full of exaggeration and hyperbole. For instance, Colt used to claim that their .38 Super could kill any game animal in North America. Do you suppose that was true, at least in a useful sense? Some small revolver calibers in the past, including .22 rimfire, were sometimes described as "powerful." But we learned not to believe everything we read since then.

We have, haven't we?
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 2, 2015, 06:21 PM   #57
P5 Guy

Quote:
Since we are in the political season, how about this myth? "Nobody wants to take your guns away."
That there are anti-gun politicians is an extension of the quoted post above. It is just that some are less anti-gun than others.