The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 19, 2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Trade Glock gen 4 & Springfield mil-spec for colt commander?

Should I do this? Yes or no? Always needed a compact .45 don't have one. Always wanted this colt. Last day of the gunshow is tomorrow and I don't want to miss this.

I don't shoot the Springfield anymore and the Glock 19 is acting up.

It's a stainless 1911 commander.

Yes or no?

SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P220 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power blue & stainless - Glock 17 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 “Americans can no longer depend upon legislation to defend them from all who intend to do them harm.”
Old January 19, 2013, 11:38 PM   #2
9mm

Uh no IMO. Glock 19 used is $700+ on gunbroker last time I saw.

BTW those two guns used are worth more than the commander I believe.
Old January 19, 2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

Forgot to mention. Both guns are problematic.

SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P220 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power blue & stainless - Glock 17 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 “Americans can no longer depend upon legislation to defend them from all who intend to do them harm.”
Old January 19, 2013, 11:55 PM   #4
9mm

lol.... not nice to trade in problem guns. Your Glock 19 sounds like easy fix with recoil spring change. I would get a new recoil spring for it then list it on grunbroker.com get about $700-$800 right now because of the panic buying then buy that Colt commander new somewhere else. I wouldn't trust a used gun for carry.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:11 AM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
not nice to trade in problem guns
I'm openly bitter, for having gotten 2-3 problematic guns off dealers already.

If he asks? Sure bud...this is why.

Safety on that Mil-Spec is stiff as can be. It shoots fine, accurate as heck. Jams sometimes. I have no good 1911 mags. If you want trial and error with it, go ahead.

Glocks...like you said. Easy.

He is asking $950 for that thing..I'm a little impatient with internet sales. I also haven't seen a commander size down here in about a year. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough? I don't know. I want it before it's gone.

Also, I have no sentimental value or regrets after I get rid of those for that Colt Commander. I feel I don't have the patience or time anymore to fix guns like that. However, that Colt is completely factory and I wouldn't mind tuning and extractor if need be. All else seems well with it.

The Mil-Spec is custom and the Glock 19 is custom. That's always a hit or miss. Usually, that depreciates value tremendously unless you're in private party. (which this guy is)

So I'm going to see if he goes for it. I'll make room in my safe, and have a gun I've always wanted. Already got myself a 9mm Glock that I carry that's a 3rd gen and has been flawless. Have 3 other Government models that I've been happy with but, the SIG 1911 has been the only one carried. The other two are babied cause they're too pretty for me to carry. (they will get banged up) This commander won't recognize a scratch on itself if it gets a new one when it looks in the mirror.

lol ok...NOW that we have more details...what do you guys think?
Old January 20, 2013, 12:13 AM   #6
9mm

it's used right? I would just sell the Glock and use that money for the commander, then sell the springifeld mil spec for more $$$ and buy ammo ?
Old January 20, 2013, 12:22 AM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

Point taken brother...Let me see if I can pull that off. Maybe when I sell the Glock tomorrow, if I do...cause I'm iffy about people. Private party dealers with FFL's? Ok...but someone walking up to me and such? Even though in Florida it's currently ok with a bill of sale...uh uh.

So if I can find some one normal. I can do that. Maybe 700 or 650 since everyone is panicking? I saw mags going for $60 for the 15rds Glock mags and $125-$160 for the 33 rounders.

I'm like a heat seeking missile when I want something. I lock on and have to get it. I won't be taken for a fool either though. lol...funny. Everyone's going for high cap, and I'm going for a CCW 1911 commander.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:30 AM   #8
9mm

List it on gunbroker, usually local gun shops do it for you. Or do it yourself. Those magazines are worth a ton, I saw a lot of three new 15 rounds go for $200+
Old January 20, 2013, 07:53 AM   #9
smee78

I would rather send the Springer & Glock back to the factory for repairs and then sell them and buy a Colt later, I believe the two for one in this case is not equal. Problems or not the math puts you in the negetive this time. Get the guy's card and get your guns fixed and sell them (gun broker) and call the guy and work a cash price later. If it does not sell then I bet you could get a lower price, dealers dont get anything from hauling the same guns back and forth to shows.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:09 AM   #10
dayman

It sounds like you like the deal, so I say go for it. Worst case scenerio you wind up a couple hundred behind to get what you want when you want it, and in my opinion that's okay. Same reason it's okay to spend $20 for a beer and a hotdog at a baseball game. Plus, you avoid all the pita of dealing with selling a gun on the internet. The dealer gets a couple of guns that with some work he can make money on, and you get a gun you want. Everyone wins.
It's your money, and I'm not going to tell you not to use it to get the stuff you want.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:28 AM   #11
Baba Louie

Do it. Life is short. Glocks aplenty. Mil Spec a little less than aplenty but if neither are making you "happy", move them.

One question... with all of the 1911s you have listed, you state you have NO good 1911 mags? Might want to get a dozen or so Wilsons then whilst you're a'tradin.

Just one fool's opinion mind you.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old January 20, 2013, 08:37 AM   #12
Sarge

The basic Glock is a good gun, Gen 4's not so much. Personally, I'd trade it on a G30 if I could make a good deal on one. But don't get
hosed. If you come out better selling them, bide your time and do that.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:03 PM   #13
smee78

Ya +1 on getting some good mags for your 1911's, I have had good luck with the Wilson mags as well.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:53 PM   #14
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
The basic Glock is a good gun, Gen 4's not so much. Personally, I'd trade it on a G30 if I could make a good deal on one. But don't get
hosed. If you come out better selling them, bide your time and do that.
That exactly what I did! Lol. Thanks for the input guys.

As for sending them in to the factory. I cannot. Both are highly customized and voided on the warranty.

The gen 4 Glock has all the right parts and its still acting up. That's a gen 4 for you. And the mil spec was bubba'ed a long time ago. When I first got into 1911's years and years ago. Before I knew better. No not by me. But it needed a new barrel cause the crowning was beyond horrible. The safety couldn't be worked normally. Too stiff. And the cerakote finish...is. Well cerakote. Not to mention they throated too much on the frame and there's no coming back from that. The person who got it said they can fix them and didn't mind.

So even trade for the Glock 30sf 3rd gen and I don't feel cheated at all. Nobody wanted them for anything. They wouldn't sell user consignment. Nothing. It was two years trying to move the 1911 with no luck. Jammed too. Just. Glad it's gone.

The Glock...gen 4 left a bad taste in my mouth. Gave it way too many chances and don't want so many handguns with issues.

I feel better this way. Instead of listing it where it won't get sold. It's always better in person to list and issues it may have. And that worked.

The gen 4 19 was stipples by me. Love it or hate it. I finally found someone who bought it and didn't mind it and actually liked it and didn't try offering me $150 for it.

In the end, I'm really happy with my Glock 30sf. Been wanting one anyways. I posted 2 threads that pertain to this.

One on the Springfield being messed up.

One on almost getting a Glock 30 but falling through.

I'm good!

As for the 1911 mags. I have factory colt mags which have been flawless and the sig 1911 mags.

I said the thing about to the mags to give me some leverage today. But didn't even mention it. I was straight with it all. After being denied on every table I went to. Didn't want to bring them home.

Thanks guys!

Old January 20, 2013, 04:46 PM   #15
Sarge

Great! Range report at your earliest, please
Old January 20, 2013, 06:25 PM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Great! Range report at your earliest, please
Thank you!!!! will do. Can't wait. My G21 has a partner now lol.