The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 3, 2012, 12:39 PM   #26
ThomasT

Hello tahunau. I do reload and have been rolling my own ammo for close to 30 years now. All on the same rockchucker press I bought when I first started. I will wear out and break before that excellent piece of equipment will.

I don't shoot as much as I used to so it would take me a while to work throug 5000 rounds of ammo. Thats just about the amount of 223 I have on hand now plus enough componants to load another 8000 rounds. That should be a lifetime supply for me.

I did just go to WalMart to see if they had a Colt 6920 that some have said they carry now. No Colts but they did have a BMI (IIRC) patrolman carbine. Its not what I want so I didn't ask to see it.

I may go to Academy and look at the Bushmasters but they are not what I want either but at least I can see if they look like a quality gun. i will have something to compare the DPMS to if I go look at those tommorow.

A few years ago when I was looking at ARs and ended up buying a mini 14 there was one place that took police trade ins and went through them and rebuilt or made one gun out of two. I can't remember who they were. Does anyone remember who I am talking about? Each gun was listed on their site with the details. I read good reveiws on them for the most part. Most guns had blemished finishes but were mechanicaly sound.
Old December 3, 2012, 03:19 PM   #27
Wyoredman

Hello,

I have a DPMS Bull 24 rifle. I use it stictly for shooting prarie dogs and coyotes. I have owned the rifle for 5 years without a single problem.

The lower is built well and will accept any standard pin upper.

The bolt and carrier have given me absolutely no problems and the stainless barrel will last my lifetime.

I shoot about 1000 rounds a year, for an idea of how I use the gun.

I would have no problems reccomending a DPMS rifle to someone who has the same shooting habits as myself.
Old December 3, 2012, 03:39 PM   #28
ThomasT

Wyoredman you sound like you shoot like I do. Thanks for the report. I have many guns so the wear and tear gets spread around. Each gun has a very easy life.

I did go look at the Bushmasters at Academy. They had an A-2 and an A-3 both for $999.99. Neither spoke to me. They were lightweight at what felt like a little over 7 pounds. Nice but not what I am looking for. I still plan on going tommorow and look at real DPMS rifles at the dealer I listed earliier in Ft Worth.
Old December 3, 2012, 04:31 PM   #29
sailskidrive

FYI - Bushmaster and DPMS are both owned by Cerebus/Freedom Group; they are assembled in the same plant in Ilion, Illinois. The company also owns the Remington trade mark.

So unless you are buying an older rifle, from before the acquisition, they are essentially the same thing.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old December 3, 2012, 04:46 PM   #30
Quentin2

Quote:
...I did go look at the Bushmasters at Academy. They had an A-2 and an A-3 both for $999.99. Neither spoke to me. They were lightweight at what felt like a little over 7 pounds. Nice but not what I am looking for. I still plan on going tommorow and look at real DPMS rifles at the dealer I listed earliier in Ft Worth.
For $1000 I see no reason to buy a 5.56/.233 DPMS or BM. At that price you're in the ball park for Colt and BCM. And for much less you can get a PSA. Anyone who already has DPMS/BM and likes them that's great but should you recommend them today for a new purchase when there are so many other fine choices out there? I wouldn't do such a thing to a new buyer.
Old December 3, 2012, 04:55 PM   #31
CTUAgent247

DPMS = great budget rifle

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these rifles. You don't need a Bushmaster or Smith & Wesson to have a great AR platform. If you're looking to have an old style AR-15 and you don't wanna spend a lot of cash, DPMS is a good option.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:06 PM   #32
RKG

Like tahunua001 (and a couple of others), I have a DPMS with about 1,000 rounds through it. Nary a problem; easily 1 MOA or better (if my eyesight were better).

However, I don't think you should get an A1 or A2 pattern, with the non-removable carry handle. DPMS makes its AP-4, which has a removable carry handle for when you like that look (or want to shoot with the A2 iron sights) but still can take flat top optics when you feel like moving up.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:35 PM   #33
droptrd

Quote:
FYI - Bushmaster and DPMS are both owned by Cerebus/Freedom Group; they are assembled in the same plant in Ilion, Illinois. The company also owns the Remington trade mark.

So unless you are buying an older rifle, from before the acquisition, they are essentially the same thing.
This is incorrect.

They are not the same rifle.

Bushmaster is made in ilion ny, and I think dpms is made in Minnesota

2 completely different companies
Old December 3, 2012, 10:44 PM   #34
sailskidrive

Uhhhh... Okay.

Freedom Group bought them a few years ago; they may still be assembled at two different locations but they are the same company. They also own Marlin and Remington.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_owns_dpms_firearms#page2
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old December 3, 2012, 10:47 PM   #35
droptrd

sorry if I came off as a jerk

I was just sayin

Last edited by droptrd; December 4, 2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:48 PM   #36
sailskidrive

Lol... No big deal.

I'm wondering if they are producing more rifles than Colt.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:21 PM   #37
ThomasT

Quote:
However, I don't think you should get an A1 or A2 pattern, with the non-removable carry handle. DPMS makes its AP-4, which has a removable carry handle for when you like that look (or want to shoot with the A2 iron sights) but still can take flat top optics when you feel like moving up.
RKG I went to the DPMS site and looked at the AP-4 and it has two things I don't like. A collaspable buttstock and a 16" barrel. I like open sights and even at 55 years old I can still shoot some pretty good groups with open sights. I still don't need bifoculs but do wear glasses to drive and fly my R/C airplanes. Most of the time I don't wear lenses. But thanks for the suggestion.

I posted before I have a Mini-14. I did put a scope on it. For about 15 minutes. I hated the weight and how it made the gun feel awkward. With good light and a steady field rest I can hit a small coffee can at 200 yards. I shoot open sights all the time. I do most of my practicing with open sighted air rifles and pistols. Its cheap and quiet. I live in town so air guns are a good way to practice without the neighbors knowing.

Quote:
For $1000 I see no reason to buy a 5.56/.233 DPMS or BM.
Quentin2 I don't plan on spending that much. If I can get what I want for around $750-800 I will probably buy. I have other things I could use the money for but have never owned an AR. I would like to get at least one but don't plan on hocking the farm to do so.

Last edited by ThomasT; December 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:49 PM   #38
ThomasT

Well I went to the "stocking dealer" I mentioned earlier to hopefully look at a DPMS rifle. That was the most sparsely stocked gun store I have been in in many years. Asking about ordering one seemed to be a problem. He wanted just about the suggested retail if he could find one. It was explained to me that there is an AR shortage. I guess he hasn't been to a gunshow lately and seen the tables full of ARs for sale.

Last edited by ThomasT; December 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM.