The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 3, 2011, 01:39 AM   #151
egor20

Gary L. Griffiths

Just bought a savage 350 (Ithaca 37 clone) as a barn gun, 5+1 with a ghost ring. When I get a chance to shoot it I'll let everyone know

I'm actually thinking about a Norinco Ultra 87 (a Remington 870) clone, same reason as the 350.

Why, you may ask; they fit my budget, TBH

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 4, 2011, 03:54 PM   #152
OscarTurner

I have a Mossberg 590 12-gauge with 20" barrel, 8+1 of 00 buckshot. Honestly, it shoots great, but it doesn't handle well. It would be my 3rd choice (3rd is far from last) for an HD situation.

The two or three occasions that had me grabbing a firearm for a possible HD situation (I think they all turned out to be cats loose in the house) I grabbed my Marlin 1894CS in .357 mag. I have more range time with the Marlin than any other firearm. In fact I took my first deer with it this fall. It is my "cold dead hands" gun and, therefore, primary HD.

I do have a youngster in the house now so my first concern would be getting him in his mother's arms, which would mean exiting the bedroom. So a handgun might be a better choice all around.
Old January 4, 2011, 10:02 PM   #153
kristop64089

I keep a Remington 870 Police w/Speedfeed, on the wall, cruiser ready. I keep it loaded, alternating shot then slugs.

I sleep with a G29SF next to my bed, stoked with 9 rounds of Black Talon.
Old January 5, 2011, 09:44 AM   #154
Mike Irwin
Staff

My home shotgun very well may get an upgrade when the new Keltec double-magazine bullpup reaches the market.

If it's decently priced and reliable, I'm going to pick one up.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 5, 2011, 09:45 AM   #155
OscarTurner

Correction

I erroneously identified my Mossberg as a 590 while it is actually a 500 Persuader. However, I still don't like it very much for HD. I'm going to try it with a standard stock on it before I sell it. I bought it used and is already had this stock installed and I don't think its original. For me, the advantage of having the safety on the rear goes out the window when you put a pistol grip stock on a Mossberg because it can no longer be easily accessed by my thumb.

Old January 9, 2011, 08:43 AM   #156
Miami_JBT

My HD Shotguns

Right now I am currently using a FNH-USA Self Loading Police loaded with Winchester Ranger SXT 00 Buck. My pump is a Remington 870 Expresd Magnum wiyh a Surefire fore end light. The SLP has a streamlight M3 on the factory rail.

My bump in the night handgun is FNH-USA FNP-45 with a Surefire X200.
Old January 9, 2011, 12:47 PM   #157
dgludwig

Quote:
more reliable with double slide bars.
I doubt that a shotgun having two slide bars instead of one necessarily makes it "more reliable". There have been more than a few shotguns that have been proven reliable with just one: the Winchester Model 97s and 12s come to mind. I don't even think twin side bars necessarily makes a shotgun operate more "smoothly". All that said, two side bars probably lends a degree of side to side stability when the shotgun is being operated and might be considered a plus for that reason.

Last edited by dgludwig; January 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old January 9, 2011, 12:52 PM   #158
dgludwig

Quote:
For me, the advantage of having the safety on the rear goes out the window when you put a pistol grip stock on a Mossberg because it can no longer be easily accessed by my thumb.

Good point. As much as I prefer a tang operated safety over a crossbolt, much of its easy access advantage probably is negated by a "tactical" pistol grip stock.
Old January 9, 2011, 01:03 PM   #159
Krav Maga

I also use a coachgun,a true one.Stoeger Defense with the rail and a Surefire light.I cut it down to about a 14" barrel.

Dont have to worry about running out of lead with a 56 shell bandoleer.
Remington 700,suppressed
Old January 9, 2011, 07:58 PM   #160
DanThaMan1776

Mossberg 590A1 loaded with snap caps and a bayonet

But seriously.. the bayonet joke aside I use 00 Buck. I have been reading about the effectiveness of #1 Buck and the benefits of it versus 00 so i'll probably switch to that when I get around to buying a few boxes.
Old January 13, 2011, 11:07 AM   #161
TacticalDefense1911

Base gun: Remington 870 Super Magnum Express

18.5" Remington police barrel
Blackhawk Knoxx SpecOps adjustable stock
Surefire 618F forend w/ weapon light
Nordic 2-shot magazine tube extension
Vang Comp shotshell side saddle

Old March 29, 2011, 07:41 PM   #162
Archametes

NEF Pardner Pump "Protector"

Here's my NEF 870 clone. Has a Tactical stock from Valhalla Armory on it, came with the front rail and foregrip, but i not sure i like the foregrip....

*this is not the "Recoil Reducing" stock. I just needed a little shorter LOP for more comfortable manuvering. also allows for when my son is older he can still use it by adjusting the stock....

Old March 29, 2011, 09:01 PM   #163
dwaawd

I don't see too many 1300 Defender's posted lately so here's my old school 1984 model. Next up is either a Knoxx Spec Op or KickLite stock. Still unsure which to choose. I'm not yet sure if I will loose the current fore end or keep it. I'll know more once the stock is on and I have done some testing.

Old March 29, 2011, 09:22 PM   #164
spyderdude

Mossberg 590 Special Purpose
Old April 1, 2011, 10:59 PM   #165
Stevie-Ray

Spacecoast

Quote:
Stevie-Ray -

No problem, I wanted to test the "even birdshot is a solid column of lead/steel at HD distances" theory for myself, and was a bit surprised at the discrepancy. At 30 feet the buckshot spreads from a fist-sized clump at 20 feet to one about as big as your open hand. Pretty effective in groups of 9, even if they are only 50 grains each.
Well, you were certainly right. When I took my SPX out last week, the spreads actually surprised me. All shooting was done at 8 yards. Now, I am even a bit leery of using #4 buck. Of course it's light-years ahead of the 7 1/2 load shown here, but the real accuracy and the shot-out middles were done with 00 buck. Since I am having such a hard time finding #1 buck, I would imagine 00 will be my go-to load. Good thing I bought a bunch of it.

Old April 3, 2011, 11:57 PM   #166
Matthew1973

Remington 870 Ati stock and 6 round holders , Remington 18inch police barrel,ATI fore grips, Botack, 1 point sling adapter and sling, and 7 round tube mag extender . Makes a Marine Proud!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 870 Black Heat 3 enhanced.jpg (112.5 KB, 43 views)
Old April 4, 2011, 05:50 PM   #167
Steamboatsig

Remington 870

"Fingers off trigger, action open, and check barrel before even possibly pointing a gun [at] anyone"
Old April 5, 2011, 05:40 PM   #168
blueridgerunner

Hawk 982 with Remington .00 Buck in the tube.
Old April 5, 2011, 06:11 PM   #169
lawnboy

Mossberg 500A 12GA. Synthetic. 20in smooth barrel it came with. 8rd capacity but it's plugged down to 3 and I don't want to lose the plug dowel so I leave it in. Loaded with 7 1/2 birdshot.

I used to keep buck in it, but then I read some Ernest Hemingway stories about following wounded leopards and lions into dense cover where he carried a shotgun loaded with birdshot for probable lightning fast close quarters engagements where failure means a bad day all around. And then I read about thin walled houses like mine and buckshot. Then I considered that I have a wife and kids. So I went to birdshot. I'll let you know how it works if I ever have to use it. Unless the birdshot decision was wrong. Then you might never hear from me again.

Last edited by lawnboy; April 5, 2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old April 9, 2011, 11:42 AM   #170
t45

Mine is the average Mossberg 500 but soon to be replaced with the Kel Tec KSG.
Old April 9, 2011, 01:10 PM   #171
TheKlawMan

t45 you may want to look at the two nutnfancy videos on the kel tec ksg; especially the parts about jamming, loading, and setting the safety.
Old April 9, 2011, 01:45 PM   #172
mnero

12 gauge coach gun. Short of dying, I would do anything to keep from having to grease someone, so I load the right barrel with skeet shot, if a blast of sand won't deter or disable the intruder, I will fire the left barrel which is loaded with a rifled slug. That way I can honestly say I did all I could to not kill the intruder, right up to the point that the rifled slug cut the poor bastard in half. After that it is my .38 S&W; at 25' I can't miss, assuming I am not in full panic mode of course.