The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 31, 2013, 01:47 PM   #26
noelf2

The flash cups were added because someone found out the hard way that musket caps will blow over and burn your wrist. Don't ask me how I know. I would definitely go back to 11 nipples, ones with vent holes to stop the blowback.
Old August 31, 2013, 04:45 PM   #27
Mr.Guido

Quote:
Believe me sir when I say pulling any harder on the hammers without the triggers pulled would result in breaking them....

I did try though, as advised to hold the trigger back. And yes pulling the triggers at full cock, holding them down then pulling the hammers back they will contact the stock.
This statement seems a bit disconcerting to me because as I am typing this, I am holding in my other hand a left hand lock from a CVA Express rifle. I can see no mechanism that would explain this increase in resistance other than the slight effect of the sear spring. Please post a picture of the inside of your fully cocked lock for comparison purposes and we can walk through setting the creep as well as looking for possible anomalies.

part (1).jpg

Also, hold the left lock in place with one hand and having the right lock removed, put the left lock in the half cock position and pull the front trigger forward. this is what you should see from the right side. Notice the ample clearance between the sear bar and the hole through the stock.

image2.jpg
Old September 8, 2013, 12:43 PM   #28
DD4lifeusmc

dings

maybe already answered didn't read each reply post.
Most likely the hammer is being blown back during firing.
It happens.
I doubt you are doing it while cocking, you would likely notice it.
The blow back can be caused by a weak hammer spring, over charging and / or
to big a flash hole in the nipple.
Just my guess!