The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 4, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1
hooligan1

Timney: its not just for the Smitty!!!

Hey just finished the trigger project on my Weatherby Vanguard. I had originally tried to adjust the factory trigger, but was'nt totally satisfied. I took the factory setting (7lbs) and trimmed it down to about 3 and a half lbs, but it still had some creep that for whatever reason (safety) I couldn't get rid of. After installation of a Timney trigger, I finally have a crisp 2 and one half lb trigger, it's very nice!! Can't wait to take her out to my range. I will be posting some targets!!! BTW the title just means if an idiot, like me,,,,,, and so on!!
Old March 5, 2011, 01:06 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...2 and one half lb trigger..." 2.5 lbs is too light for a hunting rifle. Be decidedly careful. An over light trigger takes getting used to.
Old March 5, 2011, 07:56 AM   #3
hooligan1

Hehehe it's pretty light but after it's been to the range several times I'll "grow into it", you might say. I shot those heavy-barreled .22's for the MOARNG, they also have a pretty light trigger. But T I'll be real careful.
Old March 5, 2011, 02:02 PM   #4
guncrank

2.5 pounds is too light for hunting rifle.
Not for use but what you are walking in thw woods and trip
Bang your buddy has an extra hole.
Or say you drop it out of a tree?
Bang you have an extra hole.
Four pounds is plenty IMO.
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old March 5, 2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Jerry45

I’ve never understood people saying a 2.5 # trigger is too light for hunting. If you’re walking through the woods or in a tree with the safety off before you even have a target in sight you’re NOT practicing good safety. If the safety is on it isn’t supposed to go band with any trigger pull. If your finger is on the trigger before you are on target you AREN'T being safe. If you're on target and it goes bang that’s a good thing.
Old March 5, 2011, 09:15 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I too think that 2.5 pounds is too light for a woods rifle, but if the hunter is used to that weight and calm and cool enough to handle it, it is not really unsafe. It is the nervous newbie who lets off a round while bringing the gun on target who puts a hole in something he didn't want to put a hole in.

Jim
Old March 5, 2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Jerry45

I’ve heard of those that have put a load of shoot or bullet in someone through negligence. I knew a man whose son took out the back of his, the man’s head on a duck hunt so I can agree about nubies/careless people. However it wouldn’t have made any difference had the shotguns had a 2.5 or 10 pound trigger. An “experienced”, safe hunter shouldn’t have a problem with a 2.5-pound trigger. I’m sure many varmint hunters have even lighter triggers. I do agree that a light trigger should not be the norm.
Old March 5, 2011, 09:56 PM   #8
hooligan1

Didn't AIM to make it a SAFETY issue. I know that from the sound of it, it seems like maybe it's a little aloof, however I CAN handle it. And although your actually thinking of my safety and those in the woods with the Hooligan1, fellas I assure you that this rifle is going to the range several timeas before it goes to the woods. And for one minute if I didn't think that it was safe for me, we wouldn't even be chattin about it. Also 1st and foremost you all know from my past post and replies, I'm no newbee. I have extensive training in the use of different weapons, be it for hunting, or for target, and for selfdefense. But it's cool to me that you fellas show some (for the lack of better knowledge of the english dictionary) care. Oh and by the way, it was never decided that it was to be a "hunting rifle" did it? I know I posted that I have taken one deer with it, but I only wanted to remark on the ease of installation of my new Timney, and that most anyone could do it. Thanks for your concerne but wait til I post a thread asking for concern pertaining to hunting with lighter than factory trigger pulls!
Old March 6, 2011, 04:22 PM   #9
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Gunsmithing isn't Voodo or Black Magic . Its a trade practiced by men with above average mechanical ability ! You can have above average Mechanical ability , and do many of the things a Smith does . As gun work goes , installing an after market Trigger is one of the easier jobs . A 2.5 # Trigger pull is fine till you put gloves on or your hands are cold , I like 3 to 4 # on my rigs !
Old March 12, 2011, 10:42 PM   #10
David_S

Hooligan. Congratulations. I have also just installed a Timney - in my Model 70. Pretty straight forward installation and feels so much crisper. Haven't tried it out yet though.

This is a hunting rifle and like you I have set the trigger pull at 2.5lbs which is close to where I had the original trigger set (Timney minimum recommended was 2lb I think). Checked it with "bump drop" and safety operation.

As Jim Keenan says it depends on what you are used to, and I am used to a light trigger. Also my hunting is mostly in open country with 200 to 300 yard shots so accuracy is pretty important. And because of the difficult terrain I never chamber a round until I am ready to fire at an animal - just too easy to take a tumble.

David
Old March 13, 2011, 07:15 AM   #11
hooligan1

David S, thanks and congrats to yourself young man. I know that it sounds and actually is light but it's like I said IT'S MY RIFLE, and I may not even use it for hunting, but if I do I'll be practiced up and ready!!! That's always the main thing PRACTICE. period......... I just didn't like the Creep in the factory trigger, plain and simple, and easy to install, Forget about it! Only one thing could I like a little better is a wider trigger shoe, maybe like the older 700's. That would be the only thing because now there's ZERO creep and a light trigger pull which should never pull my crosshairs of target at distances. Oh and by the way, I just traded my brother out of his handloading equip. there will be some targets posted after we get the thing rolling!!!
Old March 13, 2011, 08:15 AM   #12
tkofoid

I'm with Hooligan!
If he wanted a lecture,,he could always go out with the boys and stumble home in a drunken stuper.
I love these forums,but it seems there is always those who feel they'd like to contribute to the forum by criticizing. We all a good bunch bunch of folks enjoying the same sport. Please respect each other. Thank you.
Personally, 2 1/2 # of trigger pull is a bit heavy.
Old March 13, 2011, 08:36 AM   #13
M.O.A.

glad to hear that the triger is easy to put in im about to get one for my stevens 200 223 and a riflebasix for my savage 93r17
Old April 1, 2011, 01:40 PM   #14
gkdir

Hooligan
Weatherby Vanguard
www.erniethegunsmith.com
Target spring kit--$6.89
My limited abilities= 20 mins.
Trigger pull= 21oz
Done.

and NO, I don't hunt at 21oz.!!
Old April 9, 2011, 12:59 PM   #15
rbursek

Saftey is not just about a "light" trigger, creep plays a large part of it, if not more then pull weight. I rather (and do) have very light trigger pulls and they are Timneys, but there is a bit of creep, no creep, heavier pull and a easy bang when jarred. Once new a guy who dropped his rifle from a tree stand and bent over to watch it hit the ground, the last thing he saw!!!! Investagation showed the saftey was on. Saftey is you, not the mechanical devise.
Old April 9, 2011, 06:12 PM   #16
hooligan1

2 and 1 half lbs...... no creep..