The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 25, 2009, 09:10 PM   #1
arcticap

Cutting Over Powder Cards with the Triple P Loader

I cut some .45 over powder cards today using the wad cutter attachment that I ordered along with the Triple P loader.
I've been saving up wax board for this purpose.
The Triple P cutter worked great and with a minimum of effort, it was easily cutting perfect paper disks through up to 5 layers of wax board. Wax board containers come in a variety of thicknesses, so I chose to start with a medium thickness.

I'll probably order some Durofelt, but I wanted to see if it was really necessary. Plus the thicker felt wads may take away chamber space when loading conical bullets.
A single card was placed on top of the loaded powder in each chamber and rammed down.

Then after ramming the balls, I compressed another single card on top of the ball for good measure.

Here's another:

Next time I may load with 2 cards over the powder, but I wanted to try it out with just one first.
Next it will be off to the range to test them out.
Maybe a small amount of lube could be sandwiched in between 2 cards?
Old May 26, 2009, 06:25 PM   #2
Oldfalguy

Nice job

Look forward to your range report-
Those cylinders look great- like a coat of many colors
might be a tad (or a lot) less messy
Old May 27, 2009, 01:27 PM   #3
arcticap

The loads consisted of 35 grains of APP fffg and the cards worked just fine.
The material is very tough and dense and didn't seem to burn, but I could
only find 4 of them which were all probably loaded over the balls.

This was the first time shooting a Pietta Remington target model that I bought used.

Old May 31, 2009, 01:59 AM   #4
arcticap

Pictures weren't showing up...

so I embedded them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060004a25%.JPG (76.1 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg P1060007a60%.JPG (90.9 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg P1060009a50%.JPG (86.5 KB, 487 views)

Last edited by arcticap; May 31, 2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old May 31, 2009, 02:03 AM   #5
arcticap

continued...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070007a55%.JPG (75.8 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg P1070012a75%.JPG (60.3 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg P1070015a66%.JPG (57.7 KB, 393 views)

Last edited by arcticap; May 31, 2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old May 31, 2009, 02:04 AM   #6
arcticap

continued...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070020a40%.JPG (203.2 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by arcticap; May 31, 2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old June 6, 2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Gatofeo

Though I'm a strong proponent of stiff, felt lubricated wads under the ball in cap and ball revolvers, I never use a wad under a conical bullet.
As you suspect, it turns out that you sacrifice too much powder to allow sapce for the conical bullet to be seated fully. Besides, it's often redundant.
If the conical bullet has grease grooves, such as the Lee and Lyman designs, then I simply fill those grooves with Gatofeo No. 1 Lubricant -- the same lubricant I use for the felt wads under balls.
If the conical bullet does not have grease grooves, like the old, original designs of yore, I use lubricant over the top of the conical.
However, I don't often shoot the old design conicals as they are not nearly as accurate as a ball. They are also more troublesome to load.
Every few years I'll try a cylinderful of the old design conical bullet, just to prove to myself that they're not worth the trouble, and then go back to shooting the lead ball.

I just don't see much point to using a felt wad under a conical bullet. But perhaps a point will be discovered. I've tried it both ways and not noted a difference in accuracy between wadded and unwadded conicals.
Old June 7, 2009, 07:32 PM   #8
messerist

I have a Triple P loader also. Next I'm going for the punch thanks to your post!
Old June 7, 2009, 08:57 PM   #9
madcratebuilder

Quote:
If the conical bullet does not have grease grooves, like the old, original designs of yore,
Actually they did have grooves. The first Dragoon moulds did not have a groove, that evolved over time to one grove, then two by the end of their production. Most of the .36 Colts had a single groove mould, but their are some original moulds with out grooves, mostly found on the 62 Police Pockets. The .36 B moulds (Belt) had a different taper conical than the P moulds (pocket) I have seen four different conicals from old Colt .36 moulds, one with no groove, two different taper with a single groove and a two groove.