The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 28, 2007, 12:46 PM   #1
onlybrowning

Weaver handgun optics

Anyone have any experience with them? I only have experience with Leupold. I am wondering if the Weaver will have shorter eye relief as magnification increases (like a Burris) or does it stay constant. I am also wondering if they are bright, clear, and if they will hold up to the recoil of a Contender with a .35 Remington Barrel? Any input is appreciated as always. I am looking at the 2.5-8 model brand new.
Old August 29, 2007, 08:12 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

I have used two weaver handgun scopes and they were ok on a contender. For a fairly mild cartridge they should hold up just fine.

Personally I prefer leupold, Burris and Bushnell 3200 pistol scopes- In that order for heavy caliber handguns.

You are looking at $150 or so for the weaver, the Bushnell 3200 is in the $250 range and IMO is worth the extra money, it has rainguard, constant eye relief and a great warranty. I personally have several 3200 scopes on rifle caliber ( .223, .243, 7mm-08, and .308 ) pistol barrels on my encore and they have never given me a lick of trouble. The burris and leupold are even better.
Old August 29, 2007, 11:19 AM   #3
onlybrowning

Thanks for the reply. I am currently in the process of purchasing a Burris 2-7X32 from a gentleman on this forum. I can't wait to put it on this Contender.