The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 10, 2005, 09:21 AM   #1
Coop de Ville

Pet peeving... Why am I so picky?

Just got my 870P back from my smith who put GRs on it. I zeroed it at the range and it's giving me one very ragged hole at 25yds.
(brenneke ko's out of the 20" IC bore). I am happy with that.... especially for me.

But, I noticed that the rear sight is mounted off-center about an 1/8" or so. The GR needed to be cranked all the way flush left to zero. I hate sounding so petty, but it's one of the only things I feel a gun needs to have... sights that zero CLOSE to mechanical zero...

So, I know it's a SG, not a rifle, but I shoot the thing just as well.

The rear is mounted by 2 screws. Obviously, it can't be remounted this way because of the existing receiver taps. Can smiths fill the holes and redrill or remove and epoxy/ solder it at center?

Anyone else ever have a seemingly stupid obsession with their sights

Best -Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old April 10, 2005, 09:59 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't think it is unreasonable. Any so-called gunsmith who would mount a sight 1/8" off centerline is an incompetent butcher who has ruined your shotgun. Sue him.
Old April 10, 2005, 10:56 AM   #3
Coop de Ville

ok, ok, I had it coming. I just thought there was an easy fix.

Best -Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old April 10, 2005, 10:14 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

easy Huh?

The man drilled and tapped the wholes off center line because he was in a hurry and tried to get er' done so he could make money on the deal or he was a complete imbecil. Either way, he screwed you out of the gun for anything but dealing with the problem. You asked about a quick fix, well heres one, take it back to him and ask him to give you another gun just like the one he ruined. If he is any kind of a business man, he will do this since it was his mistake. Anything other than this will ruin the appearance of the gun and or the safety of it if he tells you he can fill the holes by any means other than putting screws in the holes and redrilling and tapping the gun in front of or behind the holes in it now. Tell him if he offers to do this to do it himself after he replaces the gun. Don't let him out of this one.
Old April 11, 2005, 01:02 AM   #5
mtnboomer

Yes, the holes can be filled with screws that will have to be cut off, ground flush and blued/parkerized to match the finish. If you are lucky, after drilling and tapping the new holes, the sight will cover the previous, mislocated holes. This, as stated above, is total stupidity on the part of the 'smith! You should DEMAND that he redo the rear sight AT HIS OWN EXPENSE. He should agree without a fight if is he's worth his salt - in fact, he should be the one to suggest it!

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old April 11, 2005, 12:22 PM   #6
Coop de Ville

Thanks for the advice. I have another gun to pick up next week and I will bring it to him and see what happens.

Best -Coop
Old April 11, 2005, 10:42 PM   #7
cntryboy1289

I would double check the other gun as well.

I am not saying the guy is completely imcompetent, but if he passed it off without looking at the gun, he may be too busy to do my repairs.
Old April 12, 2005, 06:27 AM   #8
Coop de Ville

Well, the other gun, a G3, was given to him specifically to fix a canted triple frame.

We'll see.
Old April 12, 2005, 12:01 PM   #9
Dave Sample

What would make anyone think that if he can't do it right the first time, that he can do it right the second or third time? Is the Competenyt Fairy going to touch him with Her Magic Wand and make him good at his business overnight? I really doubt it.