The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 18, 2015, 06:25 PM   #1
jmstr

To refinish or not: 1972 SBH grip frame

Just put a '72 OM SBH into the 10-day wait period. uncoverted 3 screw!

It looks to be in great shape-except the grip frame.

The back strap of the grip frame is very discolored: the finish is worn until it is a pretty uniform grey.

This is a 1972 model. My instinct is that it doesn't have the highest collectors value.

My goal is to have it as a 'shooter'. Retail sales down the road are not what drive me, but my own overall happiness.

Out of respect for the gun, I have left my 1940s handguns in their original finish [Star B and High Standard HD Military].

This one looks VERY VERY sharp, with almost no other discolorations I can remember, except on the backstrap of the grip frame.

SO-how bad is it for me to refinish the grip-frame? Thanks!
Old May 18, 2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Model12Win

Just get a container of Brownell's Oxpho Blue and re-blue the backstrap.

Use some 0000 steel wool between coats of the Oxpho Blue, and you'll have a great reblued finish that will looks great for very little money. Based on you making this thread, it seems you do want to refinish the backstrap. Oxpho blue is the best cold bluing solution there is, I've used it with great results. Just use it and I bet you will be very happy with the results, and is FAR less costly than factory reblue. It can be found online but I bought my container at Cabelas (or Bass Pro, can't remember!).
Old May 18, 2015, 07:00 PM   #3
Doyle

Are you sure it is a steel frame? The reason I asked is that there were certain barrel lengths (post transfer bar) which came with the XR3-Red aluminum frame. I don't know if any of the pre-transfer bar SBHs came with an aluminum frame or if they all came with steel frames. For a while, I had one of the SBHs with the aluminum frame. It was a handful with full .44 mag loads.
Old May 18, 2015, 09:26 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

It's probably an aluminum grip frame.
If so, you can have it re anodized, or paint it. Brownell's Aluma Hyde works well, of you could have it done with one of the other gun paints.
Old May 19, 2015, 09:30 AM   #5
Bob Wright

Hold it! Hold it! Hold it!

A Super Blackhawk with an aluminum grip frame? Say it ain't so!

Every Super Blackhawk, of the three screw vintage, had either a steel or brass Dragoon style grip frame. A .44 Magnum Flat Top with aluminum grip frame is a Blackhawk.

If the gun truly is a Super Blackhawk, then the grip frame has been switched out.

Bob Wright
Old May 19, 2015, 10:30 AM   #6
jmstr

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I don't have it in hand-so I can't magnet it. It is a 7.5" barrel, it is a 3 screw, and it is a .44mag. It definitely does NOT have a trigger bar safe ignition system retrofitted to it [yes: 5 in cylinder, hammer down on empty, for carry. Got it. ]

The grip frame is the dragoon-type trigger guard, with the OM type trigger spring.

Did they ever make a Dragoon-type grip frame in Aluminum? I haven't heard of that combo. I thought all the aluminum ones were rounded trigger guards.

I'll be able to report more accurately by this time next week. Until then-taking suggestions.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:30 AM   #7
Doyle

Quote:
A Super Blackhawk with an aluminum grip frame? Say it ain't so!
Post-transfer bar SBHs with 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" barrels came with the aluminum XR3-Red aluminum frame. Those are the only ones I know of for sure that were aluminum.
Old May 19, 2015, 01:52 PM   #8
Model12Win

Well if it doesn't "magnet", get you a container of Oxpho-Blue and follow the instructions.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1072.aspx

Fast, EASY, inexpensive and should last. You can always come back and touch it up, and can use it on the rest of the gun if it ever starts to get faded bluing.
Old May 19, 2015, 02:23 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Shows what I know about Rugers!
Old May 19, 2015, 03:28 PM   #10
Bob Wright

Doyle said:
Quote:
Post-transfer bar SBHs with 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" barrels came with the aluminum XR3-Red aluminum frame. Those are the only ones I know of for sure that were aluminum.
Must have been very early, limited production. All current Super Blackhawks have the XR-3RED griups frame of blued (or stainless) steel.

Maybe after market switch?

Bob Wright
Old May 19, 2015, 03:31 PM   #11
Doyle

Bob, from this chart it looks like 72 and 73 for aluminum framed SBHs but the chart also shows "current production". Looks a little confusing.
http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm
Old May 19, 2015, 07:22 PM   #12
Bob Wright

Doyle:
Quote:
Bob, from this chart it looks like 72 and 73 for aluminum framed SBHs but the chart also shows "current production". Looks a little confusing.
http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm
Bill got a little too much information in too small a space. All New Model Super Blackhawks have steel grip frames, regardless of design. The XR-3RED has been made both in aluminum and in blued steel, the steel being used on Super Blackhawks. Notice in the "boxes" he lists both alloy and steel.

To my knowledge, no Super Blackhawk has ever lettered with an aluminum grip frame. As I said, if its a SBH and has an aluminum grip frame, it's a retrofit.

The current production blue Blackhawk revolvers have aluminum grip frames, except the .44 Special Flat Top, which has the steel grip frame. The New Vaquero and the Flat Top Blackhawk share the same grip frame, which is identical in shape to the original XR-3, though grip panels are not interchangable. To be more precise, grip panels will not interchange between Three Screw XR-3 grip frames, and New Model XR-3 grip frames. While the profiles are the same, grip locator pins are in different positions.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; May 19, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old May 19, 2015, 07:45 PM   #13
Bob Wright

To quote Bill Hamm:

Quote:
Redesign of the Old Model 1962/63 XR3-RED for the New Model to accommodate new trigger spring and safety transfer bar. Same dimensions as Old Model XR3-RED. Marked XRN-3RED on black anodized and blued steel, KXR3 on stainless (began with Super Single-Sixes in 1974). Used on New Model Single-Six, Super Single-Six, Blackhawk, Vaquero, and 4-5/8” & 5-1/2” barrel Super Blackhawks.
Bob Wright
Old May 19, 2015, 11:30 PM   #14
Model12Win

Oh man, this is making my head hurt!

STAHP!!! STAAHPPP IT!!!! *Arnold Schwarzenneger voice*

OP: I'd stick a magnet to your grip frame and see if it sticks.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:34 PM   #15
jmstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Doyle:
To be more precise, grip panels will not interchange between Three Screw XR-3 grip frames, and New Model XR-3 grip frames. While the profiles are the same, grip locator pins are in different positions.

Bob Wright
I thought this was true of early (pre62?) SBH grip frames but not true of later ones?

Or am I getting Blackhawk and Super BlackHawk grip frames confused? I can report my findings in a week.

I do know the 1970s Single-Six and Blackhawk and Old Army all use the same grips. The Blackhawk has gone from aluminum grip frame to SBH stainless steel, which use the same grips.

Next week i will report on 1972 steel dragoon SBH grip compatibility.
Old May 20, 2015, 02:03 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

"...doesn't have the highest collectors value..." Absolutely correct. No collector value at all. So it makes no difference what you do.
Like Model12Win says, a magnet will tell you instantly if it's steel or AL. Steel uses regular cold bluing. Al needs Birchwood Casey's Aluminum Black(not cheap stuff though. 3 oz. bottle runs $12.). Same process as cold bluing. Just remember that cold bluing doesn't provide much protection for either metal.
Old May 27, 2015, 02:39 PM   #17
jmstr

Got it: steel frame, modern 'extra large' grips, compared to rounded trigger guard Blackhawks. Not same sized, but larger.

Darned it. I was hoping to move the Herrett Shooting Star grips from the 357 Blackhawk over to this one. Oh well. Have to just lover her as is.

Thanks all!