The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 14, 2013, 10:35 PM   #1
TxFlyFish

Which CZ 75 full size models should I get?

I know this is like asking which Glock model is desirable, but nevertheless for those who love their full size CZ 75, which models are nice to have in ones collection? At this stage I'm only interested in full size 75s (already own PCR)

So far I've come up with,

CZ 75 short rail
CZ 75 short rail 75th anniversary
CZ 75b high polish blue
CZ 75 pre B
CZ 75b stainless
CZ 75BD POLICE
Old April 14, 2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I HAVE a "pre-B"

I think the Shadow Custom most desirable.
But that is choosing to shoot, not for a collection.
Old April 14, 2013, 10:53 PM   #3
TxFlyFish

thanks Jim, yea I'm more interested at classic 75 lines at this stage. I figure down the road I'll get a pro-tek or custom shadow if I went down the competition route
Old April 14, 2013, 11:59 PM   #4
blackamos

I like the beavertail on the CZ 75b stainless so it gets my vote and is also the next handgun I am buying.
Old April 15, 2013, 02:40 AM   #5
WildeSide

Shot a 75B a couple weeks ago and a 75 SP-01 yesterday.
I loved them both, too bad you can't find CZ product in Nor Cal.
In 6 months of looking I have yet to find one in stock.
Old April 15, 2013, 03:54 AM   #6

That list is a good start
Old April 15, 2013, 05:41 AM   #7
Baba Louie

Well sir, if I was in Texas, where certain parts of the State do enjoy a bit of humidity every now and then, and if I were a fly fisherman, which typically involves being in or near bodies of water, I would seriously consider placing the stainless model at the top of my list.

YMMV

But you know you can't go wrong with any of your choices.

Catch as catch can.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old April 15, 2013, 06:22 AM   #8
Pilot

I have a 75B, and also the 75D PCR. I enjoy shooting them both, and carry the PCR almost daily.

A friend of mine has the steel framed SP-01 and that is what I would recommend. While I am not a big fan of light rails, I can handle them on home defense, and range guns. The SP-01 balances really well, and the upswept, newer style beavertail allows a little higher grip. I really like the feel of the gun, and the accuracy is superb as with all CZ's.
Old April 15, 2013, 06:41 AM   #9
Zhillsauditor

I prefer decockers to external safeties. However, it it was strickly a range/home defense gun, I'd go with the stainless, just 'cause it looks cool.
Old April 15, 2013, 07:57 AM   #10
TxFlyFish

Ah there are so many stainless variation too and nickel satin I think there's one that's brushed and bead blasted stainless

Btw I just got a 75th anniv. short rail.And so the CZ journey continues heard its pretty hard to cure

Last edited by TxFlyFish; April 15, 2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old April 15, 2013, 08:37 AM   #11
Walt Sherrill

If you can find a used one, CZ made a run of RETRO models a few years back -- the are true 75Bs (with the firing pin block), but have the rounded trigger guard of the pre-B models, and none of the potential parts-shortage issues (for some of the more obscure parts) that will eventually be an issue with certain pre-B models. It would be hard to beat the looks of the pre-B, a much better (almost indestructable) polycoat finish, and no concern about parts.

Pre-Bs are nice guns, and generally well-broken in with great triggers, but things like better sights can be a real problem, as they have different dovetails. Any of the B models can be improved by a competent gunsmith, to have the same smooth/crisp trigger as the pre-Bs, and some gunsmiths (like Cajun Gun Works, or the CZ Custom Shop) can make them almost 1911-like in their function.

Barring that, a Custom Shop SA (single action) model, or one of the Tactical Sport models (designed for IPSC and quite a bit more expensive) would be worth consideration.

The stainless steel models have new features incorporated, like the longer beavertail of the SA models, and reversible mag releases, and (I think) ambi-safeties. In the matte polish level, they are low-upkeep guns. The high gloss versions appeal to many, but can show scratches and mars more easily. (Those marks can be rubbed out without too much effrort, but are more work to keep looking their best.)

The Short rails are collector guns, and too expensive to just shoot.
Old April 15, 2013, 12:25 PM   #12
loose_holster_dan

i personally like the good old basic 75b the best. either the original 75b or the omega trigger are both great. some people like the sp-01 frame better (shadow is built on this), but not me.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 15, 2013, 12:28 PM   #13
MLeake

I like several of them.

However, since the OP already has a PCR, I'd say go with the BD model, to keep the manual of arms consistent.
Old April 15, 2013, 02:19 PM   #14
dgludwig

Of course, you might consider getting the Model 85B, the ambidextrous twin of the 75B; if having the slide-release and the safety on both sides of the pistol appeals to you.
Old April 15, 2013, 03:57 PM   #15
tekarra

I would lean towards the short rail, but they are hard to find.
Old April 15, 2013, 05:21 PM   #16
shouldazagged

I devoutly wish I'd never sold my pre-B. LOVELY pistol!
Old April 15, 2013, 07:00 PM   #17
ponchsox

Get a 75B and a Kadet kit if you can find one.
Old April 17, 2013, 10:29 PM   #18
Valerko

Here you go.

http://youtu.be/U3ZreUY3WxI
Old April 17, 2013, 11:15 PM   #19
TxFlyFish

Thanks everyone for the tips. I think I made up my mind on the next purchase. It will be a basic 75b or 85b. I've toyed with the idea with the other variants and almost committed to a NIB glossy blue 75B and nice non import marked condition pre-B. Then it occurred to me...CZ 75 is a service pistol and it wont be right for me to buy one to sit around in the safe to look at. I want the most recent finish and internals and parts support without straying too far into the competition realm, hence the basic 75/85B (ugly goopy paint and all). This lately has been a strange thought process for me as I tend to collect the less common/sought after variants. I have been missing out on the good old basic gun.

now its easier said then done as there seems to be some kind of shortage of CZ all across the board. Apparently not cz custom have ETAs on their backorders

Last edited by TxFlyFish; April 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 11:27 PM   #20
LockedBreech

The stainless 75B is breathtaking. One of the only pistols in my eye that can come close to the Beretta 92 and 92 INOX.
Old April 18, 2013, 05:39 AM   #21
Walt Sherrill

If you like the 85B you might like the 85 Combat even better. Especially in satin nickel. It's what I've had for years, when all of the other CZs I've owned, have moved on.

It's just like the 85B (which is just like the 75B, but ambi-dextrous), but it has a modified mag brake allowing drop-free mags, a slightly extended mag release, the same ambidextrous slide stop and safeties as the 85B, a trigger that has an over-travel adjustment, and adjustable sights. And, of course, NO FIRING PIN BLOCK, which gives you a slightly more-tunable trigger. It is, in effect, a pre-B CZ with a warranty. (Not as pretty as most pre-Bs, however.)
Old April 18, 2013, 05:46 AM   #22
JimmyR

If I were collecting CZ-75s, I would aim for basic 4 to start
1) pre-B
2) 75B
3) 75BD
4) 75B Stainless

Any of these would be excellent shooters as well. I personally carry a 75BD most of the time that I carry a full size pistol.
Old April 18, 2013, 08:42 AM   #23
JayPee

You might like to read the seven part comprehensive article on the design and production evolution of the CZ85/85B series found at;

http://guntalkers.blogspot.com/2010/...t-1-by-jp.html

Jaypee
Old April 18, 2013, 08:53 AM   #24
TxFlyFish

Yes I have that's an excellent write up! That's another reason I'm steering toward current production.
Old April 18, 2013, 11:25 PM   #25
chris in va

I had a 75bd for ten years. I lusted over a 75 stainless once I saw one.

That being said may I humbly recommend a 75 SA. I've since converted my 97b to SAO and it is a wonderful thing having the same crisp trigger pull every shot without the hooked trigger.