The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 30, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1
cajun47

anyone make a good over and under shotgun for $500

or less?
Old March 30, 2013, 08:46 AM   #2
big al hunter

That depends on your definition of "good".

Mossberg imports an over/under and sells it as the maverick hunter. It is a bottom of the line no frills shotgun. No spring ejection, no wood stock, none of the high end features. What you do get is a simple break action that functions, albeit roughly, every time you use it. Price on Mossberg site is $488.

You might find it for less at a retailer. I have one that was not imported by Mossberg but made by the same company. It took a few hundred shells to wear in the action enough to smooth out some of the functions. I have had it for 8 years or so with no problems. I wanted a cheaper gun for hunting ( I don't worry about scratching the finish or getting rained on in my duck blind). Any more expensive over/under will operate smoother and have better looks, and more frills, but they break clay and kill birds just the same.

So it depends on what you call good. ( beauty is in the eye of the beholder )
Old March 30, 2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Slugo

no...
Old March 30, 2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Virginian

^^^^^ DITTO ^^^^^
You are waaaay better off with a good repeater than a poor double.
Old March 30, 2013, 09:44 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

NO
Old March 30, 2013, 10:01 AM   #6
BillM

Baikal, Yildiz, Khan, Huglu and Lanber-----all offer O/U's in
your price range. I have zero hands on with any of them, but
some review better than the price would suggest.
Old March 30, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7
BigD_in_FL

GOOD and under 500 do not go in the same sentence.

Read this: (from Shotgun World)

Quote:
I've got $0-$600 to spend
Look, I hear you. You want an Over/Under because that's what everybody has. Your options at this price point are limited. Understand what you are getting into and that you're not going to be the next Anthony Matarese with a CZ. There are some guns in this range that have better reputations (like the CZ and other Huglu branded guns). There are others with not-so-great reputations. Understand at this level that there is a greater likelihood that you're going to have problems. For somebody that shoots about 1000 rounds a year or less, you will probably get along OK with a CZ, Mossberg Silver Reserve, or a Yildiz (if you live in the Southeast near an Academy Sports).

For target shooting, I think there are much better options in this price range than an Over/Under. The Mossberg 930 series Semiautomatic is a great choice if you have to have something new. Another great new choice is the Beretta 390 that some big-box stores are selling right around $550. If you are confident in your gun-buying ability or you're just feeling lucky, a used Remington 1100, Browning Gold, Winchester SX2/3, or a Beretta 390/391 are all good choices for target guns.

I've got $600 - $800 to spend
We're into the range where careful shoppers can come out with a nice gun. If you are looking for something new, your first stop is CDNN Investments (http://www.cdnninvestments.com, download the latest catalog). CDNN is retailing a bunch of Lanber 2087 and 2097 shotguns in this range. Lanber guns are reliable and to me handle like a Browning. You can get them in nice target configurations with 30" barrels.

Another new option is the Savage Milano. While these guns are not in production anymore, they have been selling in the $800 range from places like Bass Pro. I don't expect these guns to be for sale much longer. I feel that the Savage Milano (A F.A.I.R. gun) feel most like a Beretta.

On the used gun market, you have more options. Typically in this range you will find older Browning/Beretta/SKB guns with either fixed chokes or short (26") barrels. At one time 26" barrels were all the rage in skeet, so it's not that they're bad, they're just not as desirable today as longer barrels.

I've got $800 - $1200 to spend
This is the sweet spot for bargain hunters. Most of your bargains in this range are going to come from people selling nicely equipped entry-level upper grade guns. Here you're going to start to see things like older Browning Citoris with 28" and 30" barrels. You will also start to see Beretta 68x with Mobilchoke barrels in this range. Another good gun in this range is a Franchi.

Every now and then something will show up in this range that the discriminating buyer will recognize as a deal. Nicely equipped guns like an LL Bean (by SigArms/B.Rizinni) or Weatherby guns (by SKB) will start showing up in this range. Most guns in this range are going to be 28" or 30" barrels.

If you are looking for new, you want to navigate over to CDNN. They have been closing out some Winchesters and Weatherby guns under $1000 with decent barrel lengths. Again, these guns are not current production, but what do you care?

I've got $1200 - $2000 to spend
This is the sweet spot for the target shooter that wants to start getting serious about his equipment but doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg to do it. Toward the bottom of this range ($1200 - $1500) you will be looking at former kings of competition; Browning 425/Ultra/GTi, Beretta 686/687/or a well used 682, and Modern SKBs. In the upper end of this range, you will find the more desirable barrel lengths and better wood.

Most guns in this range are going to be current production guns, but used.

Be educated in this range on what your options are. Some of the F.A.I.R. guns or the B.Riz guns that fall into this range are hidden gems.

If you are patient, you may even find a used Caesar Guerini in this range.

Most guns in this range are going to be 30" or 32" barrels.

Be patient, you will find what you are looking for on the used market. It helps to understand what the gun you are looking for sells for new.

Also, if you are looking for new guns, you should take a look at CDNN Investments again. They run specials on nicely equipped target guns that are closeouts from some of the bigger manufacturers. Recently they have had some very nice Browning Cynergys and 525s in the $1400- $1800 range. In fact, CDNN has some nice JP Saur Sohn branded Caesar Guerinis selling at $1800 or below.

I've got $2000 - $5000 to spend
You're getting serious about your shotgunning now. Here you will be looking at new guns with all the bells and whistles you are looking for. The big names in this range are Browning, Beretta, and Caesar Guerini.

A hidden gem in this range is the Zoli guns from Antonio Zoli.

Feel and fit is important in this range, because you're going to have this gun for a long time. If you are oddly shaped like me, a fitted gun may be in your future and you'll be able to find one in this range.

I've got over $5000 to spend
Dude, why are you asking me? If you're spending this kind of jack, you already know what you want. If you don't know what you want, stick with an off-the-rack gun until you know what you want.
Old March 30, 2013, 11:14 AM   #8
jmr40

No. You might find something used for under $1,000.

If someone has a $500 budget they are far better off buying a good pump.
Old March 30, 2013, 01:20 PM   #9
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
NO
Old March 30, 2013, 03:04 PM   #10
publius

Nope. Might find a beat to hell Ruger Red Label for around that.
Old March 30, 2013, 04:07 PM   #11
BarkeyVA

What do you want to do with it? What gauge? Single or double triggers?

I am very partial to Marlin Model 90's. They were made between 1937 and 1957 (DT's). ST's were sold from 1954 to 1963. They come with fixed chokes, Mod/full in 28" barrels and IC/Mod in 26" barrels, and extractors. You should be able to find a decent 12 ga. for around $300-$350. ST's sell for more, as do 16 ga. and 20 ga. Model 90's. 16 ga. and 20 ga. guns were made on the same size frame that is smaller than the 12 ga. frame

I think they handle and shoot great ( I have 13 in various gauges and barrel lengths) and they are durable. I got my first 12 ga Model 90 used in 1957 or 1958 (still have it). Weagle posted on the Shotgun World web site last year that he had shot over 25,000 rounds through his used 12 ga. Model 90 DT without any problems.

My favorite upland bird gun is a 16 ga. Model 90DT with 26" barrels made in 1947.
Old March 30, 2013, 09:18 PM   #12
TheoShooter

Again, no.
Old March 30, 2013, 11:35 PM   #13
Arocholl

Ditto the above:

You would be better served buying a good auto vs a bad o/u.
Old March 31, 2013, 08:23 AM   #14
BarkeyVA

I still contend that Marlin Model 90 O/U's are good "shooters." They were made in the USA, and I and many others think they handle and shoot great.

I forgot to mention that Sears sold Model 90's under the Ranger 103.xx name prior to WWII and as the JC Higgings 103.xx after the war. Also, Model 90ST's have a non-selective single trigger, firing the more open lower barrel first.

Here is a photo with some of my Model 90's.
Old March 31, 2013, 09:44 AM   #15
Creek Henry

Stevens 512... Not a bad bang for the buck.
Old March 31, 2013, 11:41 AM   #16
BigJimP

No, not unless you find something used...
Old March 31, 2013, 02:10 PM   #17
zippy13

Quote:
No, not unless you find something used
or have a time machine.
Old March 31, 2013, 05:15 PM   #18
BigD_in_FL

BARKEY - where do you get parts?
Old March 31, 2013, 05:23 PM   #19
P5 Guy

Time Machine

Zippy13 got to that before me!

My Dad paid about that much for a Browning Superposed (sp?) in the mid 60s.
Old March 31, 2013, 07:57 PM   #20
Slugo

BarkeyVA, that is quite a collection. I like the two 410's and the skeet gun! Outstanding photo...
Old April 1, 2013, 07:30 PM   #21
BarkeyVA

slugo,

Thanks. As for the .410's, the gun on the far right is actually a .22/.410 combo.

BigDinFL,

Other than the two examples below, I have not needed any spare parts for my other Model 90's.

I bought the 16 ga. Skeetking (custom engraved model 3rd from the left) knowing it had a broken top lever spring. A gunsmith found a replacement at Numrich.

I bought a 16 ga. Model 90 with 26" barrels made in 1952 for $150 that I thought I might use as a parts gun. The firing pin springs were so weak they would hardly make an indentation in the primers. It had a lot of rust/corrosion on the outside of the barrels and frame. However the bores were bright with no rust or pitting. It was choked .003" and .009" (approx. Skeet and Lt. Mod.)

Out of curiosity, I checked to see if the parts gun barrels would fit any of my other 16 ga. or 20 ga. Model 90's. I was surprised to find that the barrels fit perfectly on my 20 ga. Model Model 90 with 28" barrels made in 1954. The factory forearm on the 20 ga. would not fit the 16 ga. barrels but the forearm that came with the "parts gun" did fit on the 20 ga. frame.

Because the gun looked so bad, I decided to try cold bluing the barrels with Brownell's Ox-Pho Blue. I didn't want to disassemble the entire frame (I would not know how to do it anyway!) so I used Brownell's 44-40 Cold Blue on the frame. The "new" finish is not perfect but it looks better than it did.

Now I have to decide what to do with the gun. I can:
1. Keep the barrels and forearm for use on the 20 ga. frame and keep or sell the rest of the gun for parts. I think it would be cool to have a Model 90 with interchangeable 16 ga. and 20 ga. barrels. (I already have a 16 ga. with interchangeable 26" and 28" barrels)

2. Keep the the parts gun as a shooter and try replacing the firing pin springs.

Before.

After.

Old April 2, 2013, 07:53 AM   #22
Doyle

Quote:
I still contend that Marlin Model 90 O/U's are good "shooters."
Barkey, I agree with you 100%. I picked up a fairly ratty looking 20 a few years ago in trade. I stripped the stock and refinished it with Minwax Tungoil finish (functional and easy but isn't the best choice if you have really nice wood to show off). I steel-wooled the metal parts and did some touchup with some Oxfo Blue. And, I ground a Pachmayr Decelerator pad which lengthened the pull enough for my arms. It turned into a nice shooter. I've got maybe $300 in the whole package.
Old April 2, 2013, 05:29 PM   #23
new_shooter

Recently looked at a maverick hs-12 I saw it at my local gun store for $449 sweet o/u might be my next toy? If funds permit of course! Good luck with your search
Old April 2, 2013, 06:25 PM   #24
shortwave

I favor the M90 as well.

I came across a mint, double trigger 16ga. a couple years back that belonged to the father of a friend of mine. He said it had not had a box of shells ran through it. As tight as it is, I believe him.

I'm doing my best to break it in.

Question...where would I go for the man. date?
serial # is G56x
Old April 2, 2013, 07:14 PM   #25
k511

the baikal O/U is the best bang for the buck in your price range IMHO, no im not camparing it to a B gun, but, they have mechanical trigger, chrome lined barrels, i have around 1k rounds through mine and its still pretty tight, which is a lot more than i can say for other sub 1k shotguns i have tried in the past