The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 3, 2012, 12:28 AM   #1
DennisCA

Spanish Mauser Problem

I recently bought (from Samco) a M1916 Spanish Mauser (converted to 7.62 Nato) and took it out to fire it for the first time today. I fired the first round, tried to eject the round and I couldn't. After several attempts, I ended up taking a cleaning round down the barrel, tapping on it lightly to loosed it up so I could work the bolt enough to remove the spent shell. If figured it might be the ammo (which was Chinese Surplus 7.62). I tried different ammo but that same results. The only way it worked was by using match-grade .308 ammo (which is really expensive). Does any one have any suggestions? I really like the gun but don't like the hassle. Appreciate the input!
Old June 3, 2012, 02:02 AM   #2
Ignition Override

I don't really know, but (you might be well aware) there have been many discussions on the Internet about the safety issues involved with converting small ring (Spanish 7mm) to NATO 7.62 or .308.

This won't help you specifically, but I have two FR8s, and wading through the potential issues with those took me hours, and these were built with large-ring (8mm) Mauser actions.
Old June 3, 2012, 06:31 PM   #3
tahoe2

If you reload I would drop the pressure a bit. I believe the the original max loads for that action is
around 44,000 psi and the .308 is around 55,000-60,000 (max loads also).
Hence the sticky ejection. There is the 7.62 CTME rounds if you can find them.
They are lower pressure then 7.62 NATO or .308
I you don't reload try "managed recoil" loads from Remington I believe.
Any others "Please Chime in" !! suggestions

Last edited by tahoe2; June 3, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old June 3, 2012, 11:18 PM   #4
chiefr

I fully concur with previous posters on the pressure limit with these rifles. All I can think of as a cause of your problem would be a rough chamber, excessive headspace, or the chamber has a defect, providing it is not the ammo. I have seen my share of rough chambers on milsurps. Anytime, I have doubts, I always make a chamber cast and slug the bore. You can find plenty of info on both slugging and casting the chamber on the forums.
Old June 4, 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
HankC1

Chamber maybe dirty and gummy. Clean and polish the chamber, check headspace and don't shoot commercial 308. 7.62NATO is fine.
Old June 5, 2012, 03:21 PM   #6
DennisCA

Update: Spanish Mauser Problem

I gmailed Samco concerning my problem and here's their response:

"The nato 7.62x51 round will be stronger than the average win. .308 round the military cases will be thicker to compensate, but you should return it anyway so the headspace can be checked and corrected as needed. We can send you a call tag if you like. So you can return it back to us either for exchange or repair. Let us kow if you have any questions."

Whatda think.... send it back?

Can't hurt, right?
Old June 5, 2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Hardcase

I would send it back, especially if they're willing to pay the freight. chiefr and the other posters have raised good points. And if it's a headspace issue, you certainly want that fixed.
Old June 5, 2012, 09:33 PM   #8
TX Hunter

Dennis,

Send it back, let them replace it, I have one of them that I reload for, and its a dandy shooter. Mine is not pretty but its an old Rifle.

Sounds like a Chamber issue, I only shoot my Hand Loads or Tula FMJ in mine and have had no problem except that it dosnt feed soft points very well, you can rack the long FMJs through it pretty quick though.
Took forever to get mine, it was on back order for ever.
Old June 6, 2012, 11:31 PM   #9
DennisCA

TX Hunter
Thanks to all for the the input!
I just rec'd a gmail from Samco, they sent me a UPS and it's going back tomorrow or Friday! Stay tuned, will let you how things go.
Old June 7, 2012, 03:41 PM   #10
TX Hunter

Good luck Dennis

I bet if they replace it for you they will send you a nice one that they have gone over. Hope it all works out.
Old July 2, 2012, 04:27 PM   #11
DennisCA

3rd Time's a charm!

Well it took a while but I rec'd (another) replacement from SAMCO and could not be happier! The weapon is super-clean and everything functions smoothly (Just hope it shoots ok!). Don't take my word for it -Judge for your-self:

Last edited by DennisCA; July 2, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old July 3, 2012, 09:47 PM   #12
TX Hunter

WOW !!!!

Denis thats a Beautifull Mauser. They did you right. It looks new, and the bore is perfect. Congratulations. The one I have looks like it won the Spanish Civil War by itself. LOL mine is pretty beat up, but is very accurate. I bet yours is a fine shooter as well. Anyhow, I hope you the best of luck with your new Mauser, its Beautifull.
Old July 31, 2012, 12:20 AM   #13
DennisCA

Spoke too soon :(

I took the Spanish Mauser to the range this past Saturday and was I dissapointed! First time the firing the rifle.....and it stuck (it was 7.62X51).
Had to use a cleaning rod down the barrel to un-stick the spent shell.
Ok I thought, I use commercial .308 ammo. Chambered a round a fired a it off, the bolt worked but I had to physically remove it with my fingers, because the it wouldn't come out by itself. I am patient person but enough is enough!
I called SAMCO today and today them I want to send it back and want a refund! I am though with SAMCO! My business will go to someone else!
Old July 31, 2012, 12:28 AM   #14
Hawg

You're over pressuring it with NATO and commercial ammo. It was rechambered with 7.62 CETME ammo in mind.
Old July 31, 2012, 08:44 AM   #15
TX Hunter

Did you clean the Cosmelene out of the Barrel and Chamber before firing ? How did the extracted Case look ? Do you still have the Rifle ? Im interested in it.
Old July 31, 2012, 05:36 PM   #16
HankC1

I had M1916 in 7.62 once. No problem firing 7.62NATO, 1916 is converted for 7.62NATO, not CETME. There is a Spanish manual clearly says 7.62NATO. Your rifle looks very nice, clean and polish the chamber.
Old July 31, 2012, 08:31 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCA
I took the Spanish Mauser to the range this past Saturday and was I dissapointed! First time the firing the rifle.....and it stuck (it was 7.62X51).
Had to use a cleaning rod down the barrel to un-stick the spent shell.
Ok I thought, I use commercial .308 ammo. Chambered a round a fired a it off, the bolt worked but I had to physically remove it with my fingers, because the it wouldn't come out by itself. I am patient person but enough is enough!
I called SAMCO today and today them I want to send it back and want a refund! I am though with SAMCO! My business will go to someone else!
Your problem is not with SAMCO, your problem is that you didn't pay attention early in this thread when people tried to point out that these Spanish small-ring Mausers were NOT intended to be shot with either commercial .308 or 7.62x51 NATO ammunition. They were built to fire the Spanish 7.62 CETME cartridge. There is a LOT of information confirming this all over the Internet.

There's a beautiful example of one of these (nicer than your second one, in fact) in a small gun shop 3 miles from my home. I drool over it every time I'm in there, but I won't buy it because I don't reload .308 so I have no way of replicating the less powerful CETME round. I have an 8mm Mauser but nothing in .308. IF the Spanish Mauser would handle commercial .308 or mil-surp 7.62x51 I would already have brought the rifle home, but I know it wasn't ever intended to fire either of those so I don't intend to push the envelope.
Old August 26, 2012, 11:51 PM   #18
DennisCA

Update

I finally decided I had enough and Saturday the gun was packed up and sent back to SAMCO for a refund. I thought about finding a local gunsmith but just didn't want to more money into the gun. This was the third gun from and as they say in baseball; "3 strikes and you're out!"
Now that sad chapter is over is over, what should I get to replace it?
Old August 27, 2012, 12:21 AM   #19
Ricklin

Don't believe everything you read

I had a Spanish 1916 for about twenty years or more, never had one single issue with the rifle. Never a stuck case. Put many hundreds of rounds through it. Finally traded it of for a nice riding lawnmower. Not bad for a hundred dollar gun.
How many here have ever seen one of these rifles have a major failure? No not heard about, not read about it on the net. Actually seen it?

When a rumor is repeated enough, it becomes fact. How many of you that are postulating on this weapon have owned one? How many have owned one long term?

These old warhorses have been being imported for many years, I bought mine from Samco, ask them how long they have been bringing them in. Do you think if these rifles were failing in mass, or worse yet blowing up as many seem to allude to, do you suppose Samco would still be selling them?

And yes you do need to thoroughly clean a mil-surp before taking it to the range.

My ONLY issue with the Spanish Mauser was.......they kick like a mule.

And these guns were rechambered for 7.62 NATO, not CETME.

If I needed a knock about pickup gun I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Ricklin; August 27, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old August 27, 2012, 06:39 PM   #20
DennisCA

Ricklin- my conscience is clear, I gave Samco every opportunity to make it right but after three guns enough was enough. I don't know maybe I was just unlucky or maybe just a bad batch of guns. It's funny because I heard a lot of good things about Samco. And no I am not knocking Samco, this is based solely on MY experience. I have bought firearms from other companies and never had the problems I had with Samco. One more thin; I cleaned the hell out that thing, so that wasn't the issue.
Old August 27, 2012, 11:56 PM   #21
Ricklin

Thanks Dennis,
I would just about bet that they are getting to the "bottom of the barrel" with these old Mausers. As I said I bought mine in the late 80s or early 90's how many other Mil-surps have had that sort of long term availability?

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, and glad to hear that you cleaned the cosmo out of it. I was annoyed at all the "experts" chiming in repeating internet and gun rag rumors that are essentially untrue. The two lug small ring Mausers are not the strongest action, but at the end of the day it's still a Mauser. Yes one should keep an eye on the headspace, but that's true of any old rifle. These Spanish Mausers have gotten a bad rap, and they don't deserve it. Best of luck to you.