The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Super-Dave

What is the deepest penetrating slug they make?

This summer I plan on going hunting for the elusive "Florida Skunk Ape"

I need a slug that will do the maximum ammount of penetration. Skunk Apes have thick fur and all the swamp sludge sticks to it make almost a type of natrural body armor.

What is the deepest penetrating slug (not sabot) that I can use to take him down.

Nothing is worse than having an 800 pound wounded enraged skunk ape chasing you through the swamp.

George Orwell

Last edited by Super-Dave; February 19, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old February 19, 2009, 08:00 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In my estimation... the 800 pounds is an exxageration. All the swamp cabagge man/skunk apes I have seen were just a couple hundred to 275 pounds. Don't kill the skunk ape... get a tranq gun! I will have it fed and on display within 24 hours... admission fee will never be under 20 bucks but to start it will cost thousands to get a peek.
Welcome to Ye Old Hogdogs swamp ape emporium and saloon...
BTW IBTL since this will be closed due to non-sense
Brent
Old February 19, 2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Super-Dave

This is not nonsense. It is a legitimate question phrased in an entertaining way.

You people have no humor.

All of your lives must be nothing but work and depression.

What is the deepest penetrating slug they make?

and by the way the Skunk Ape does exist. If I see him this summer he is getting a slug to the chest.

Do some searching on the internet.

George Orwell

Last edited by Super-Dave; February 19, 2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old February 19, 2009, 10:10 AM   #4
.45 COLT

Smoothbore, Dixie Slugs' Tusker. Cylinder Bore.
Rifled, Dixie's Terminator.

Most smoothbore slugs are soft, which doesn't give deep penetration. If you can't, or don't want to, get Dixie's offerings, cast and load your own.

DC
Old February 19, 2009, 10:29 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While living in central florida I have heard many of the stories.... But of all the long time hog doggers, deer doggers, coon doggers and even a few fox doggers... I have never met one that has seen so much as a foot print let alone the distinct possibility that of the thousands upon thousands of dogs in these woods in the last 200 years, ain't no one ever bayed one up or treed any! That right there is enuff proof for me that the wrong kind of copper was used in someones still when they seen 'em. i wasn't knocking your thread when mentioning being locked nor did I hit the tattle triangle button. And as you seen I have a humorous take on it too. If my trash happy dogs bay one up I am sending in the bulldogs and going for a tip and tie up. Meez keepin' that bugger alive!
Brent
Old February 19, 2009, 10:34 AM   #6
dahermit

The Florida Skunk-Ape is not an animal. It is my ex-mother-in-law.
The Brennke slugs I tried just bounced right off her.
Old February 19, 2009, 10:34 AM   #7
T191032

"You people have no humor.

All of your lives must be nothing but work and depression.

What is the deepest penetrating slug they make?"

Almost right on the "no humour" part, though my cousin says different. Offbeat maybe?

Work and depression?

No, like to avoid work when possible.

I was going to say look at the Brenneke, but .45 COLT chimed in with the Dixie Slugs reference, so I'd have to agree there. Dixie if you can afford 'em, Brenneke if not. Then you'll get into those Sabot slug rounds.

Skunk Ape? Why chase it around the 'Glades?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_Ape
Old February 19, 2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Super-Dave

The reason dog hunters do not tree a skunk ape is that it does not smell like an animal. It has such a putrid smell dogs will not track it, nor even think it is alive.

Now for Hogdog's experience, the skunk apes can easily hear the dogs and disapear in to the swamp long before the dogs are near. Now since the dogs do not have any desire to follow the skunk apes smell print they do not trail him.

Also being the skunk ape prefers living in swamps not many foot prints are left of his presense. Any foot prints quickly dissapear.

George Orwell
Old February 19, 2009, 11:11 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The putrid smell has been described as "musky" which sounds like the boar scent my dogs are attracted to. It don't have to smell like an animal. I have seen dogs bay up survey stakes and tree stumps with some regularity. As for fleeing... I have a bulldog that will hunt and if she hears anything, it gets her undivided attention... Like I said my dogs are "TRASH HAPPY"... once a sound is placed to a scent trail, a dog knows it is a live critter ahead.
Brent
Old February 19, 2009, 04:57 PM   #10
banditt007

from what i've seen, dixie slugs is what you want to check out. they also make a rather serious buckshot load.
Old February 19, 2009, 05:31 PM   #11
goodspeed(TPF)

I have had good results with Brenneke slugs. http://www.brennekeusa.com/

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 20, 2009, 05:11 AM   #12
darkgael

Dixie

I've tried the Dixie slugs. They shoot well and have a lot of power - haven't hunted with them yet.
About the Skunk Ape - that's a new one for me. Sounds like the Murphysboro Mud Monster. Sounds like Sasquatch. The picture reminds me very much of shots we see of Bigfoot in the NW.
Here's one of many sites collecting the different versions of this creature -
http://www.unknown-creatures.com/mur...d-monster.html.
I find two things remarkable (he remarked) about this enduring.....what? Myth? Elusive reality? One is that it is so widespread and consistent from place to place; two is that, given the widespread nature of these reports, no one has captured or taken one in all the years it has been discussed. The last is what leads me to doubt.
Pete
Old February 21, 2009, 03:11 AM   #13
Mike U.

Please feel free to take the following post with a grain of salt.

I don't believe they've been taken because they are about the smartest critter in the woods and masters of camouflage and E&E. You live in the forest you learn to use everything in your world to your advantage. An old saying goes something like "You don't find Bigfoot. Bigfoot finds you."
Also, most dogs, even otherwise fearless hunters, nearly always turn tail and leave if a bigfoot is in the area. Many reports of otherwise loyal hunting dogs nearly running over their owners gettin' the hell outta Dodge. Bigfoot it seems, has a distinct disdain for canines and kills them at every opportunity.

The majority of reported sightings I've read appear to be purely accidental. Right place, right time for the human. Wrong place, wrong time for the bigfoot. Bigfoot are very shy creatures and dislike human attention. Normally a sighting is brief because once the animal becomes aware it's been spotted by a human, it leaves very quickly. It's usually the same case for the humans. The animals are nearly impossible to spot once they've detected human presence in their environs. They use all of the terrain plus light and shadow very effectively in avoiding detection. I imagine they could certainly teach our best Special Forces a thing or two about camouflage.
I've heard it said that in the forest one could be 15' away from you and if it knows your there, you won't know it's there unless it wants you to know.

I have no doubt that eventually one will be captured or killed. Seems they are a bit territorial and at the same time curious about humans and their activities. That may eventually be their undoing. That, and they seem to have a penchant for crossing roads at inopportune times. Many reports of seeing them crossing roads late at night and quite a few reports of near misses on interstates and back roads. There is a running joke in the bigfoot community that the first dead bigfoot brought in won't be by hunters, but will be on the hood of an old lady's '75 Cadillac. Or maybe a logging truck.

I've read a number of reports of them looking into people's windows at night. One example, a lady was working at her computer one night when she looked up over her monitor and out her living room window and there was a very large bigfoot standing just outside her window watching her. She saw it plainly in the ambient light from her living room's illumination. She even made a very good compelling and damned scary drawing of the creature. The window she was looking out of was 8 feet off the deck. The bigfoot turned and walked off into the night once it was seen. She found huge footprints on the ground outside her window the next day.
There are thousands of reported encounters by people from all walks of life. And that's just the ones brave enough to come forward. Imagine how many more have kept silent fearing ridicule, the laughter curtain and the resulting turmoil it might cause in their lives and careers if their encounter got back to their places of employment.
We have a pastor in these parts who had a face to face with a big one out in the Ocala National Forest. IIRC, he was woodswalking and nearly bumped into the thing. Might have been a case of neither paying attention to where they were going. I believe he mentioned it looked as surprised as he was when they met. Both made hasty retreats. If your a pastor of an Assembly of God Church you don't go public with something like that if it's a hoax. Unless, of course, you want to destroy all you've worked for, your reputation and calling/career as a church pastor. I believe his encounter solely on that basis.

Super-Dave, I'm not knocking your hunting prowess, but I believe your chances of bagging one is about the same as bagging an African Lion out there in the Florida swamps. I believe they know all too well about humans and their bang-sticks and the damage they can do. It's almost a certainty that they've observed humans hunting with guns before.
And, I certainly hope you don't run across a female with a young'un in tow. It would probably be a good idea to leave that area quickly if you do. You know about mothers and the protectiveness of their offspring. Nothing worse than having 600 lbs. of 7' tall highly irate bigfoot mother thinking you intend harm on her young'un. She could pull you apart like a child does an insect. And for the love of God, don't approach a small one if you see it. If you do, let me say it's been a pleasure reading your posts here and before you go, please make sure all of your affairs are in order. You know, just in case...

Oh, BTW, if you DO happen to see one, please keep in mind that where there's one visible, there are likely to be more nearby that you don't see.

And, to keep this gun related, Dixie Slugs is what I'd have in my 870. Barring that, I'd have Brenneke Black Magic 3" slugs.

Good luck!
Old February 21, 2009, 01:38 PM   #14
lipadj46

Brenneke slugs, Dixie Slugs or Sabot slugs. Some of these require a rifles barrel though.
Old February 21, 2009, 02:04 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Mike, the hunting dogs we use often have scars 16 inches long in many spots from fighting boars. Many have had hundreds upon hundreds of staples in them over the years... Critters don't scare hog dogs....
Same goes for bear and cougar dogs. And I assure you my bulldog "Deadly" won't run!
Brent
Old February 21, 2009, 03:11 PM   #16
Super-Dave

maybe we can all get to gether with hogdogs, and go nail this skunk ape.

We can all claim equal ownership of the carcus. Yall can split the fame. I just want my share of the cash.

To keep this post shotgun related I will definety use some cash to by me atleast 4 benelli's.

George Orwell
Old February 21, 2009, 07:55 PM   #17
Mike U.

Brent,

Dogs know when sasquatch are in the area and they leave or they show signs of distress or outright terror. Those fearless hunting dogs that have gone after a bigfoot scent don't come back or come back with their tails between their legs at full speed as if the devil himself were chasing them.
There are also reports of people with bigfoot activity in their area having their dogs killed. And it's seldom pretty. I've read reports of dogs literally being torn into pieces. I've even come across reports suggesting dogs are a food item to sasquatch.

And to keep it shotgun related, Super-Dave, I think your on the right track in going with the hardened slugs. I would definately go with the Brennke 3" Black magic, 3" Gold Magnum or the Dixie Termintors.

I would steer clear of the Dixie Tri-Ball even though it looks like a possibility. That is, until you've tested it on larger, well muscled game. Having an 8' tall 600 lb ****** off Sasquatch coming for you after you shot him with a substandard load is not the time to find out you shoulda gone with something different.

Oh, and, Brent, I've seen video of hog dogs at work. It's damned impressive and totally gutsy work they do and makes me glad I wasn't born a southern hog.

Last edited by Mike U.; February 21, 2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old February 21, 2009, 08:30 PM   #18
Mike U.

goodspeed(TPF),

Those were fascinating pics for the first few years they were out. It's my understanding that there is mounting evidence that those pics were hoaxed.
Sadly, there are a bunch of wanna-be clowns trying their hands at hoaxing bigfoot pics/videos. Just check out you tube. Unreal...

On the other hand, the Patterson-Gimlin film has kept de-bunkers banging their heads for over 40 years now. Try as they might, no one can prove it's a hoaxed film. It stands as the best video evidence to date.
The PGF is the most popular video when it comes to the subject of bigfoot/sasquatch. You usually see a still taken from the clip that shows the bigfoot looking back at the guys filming her.
And yes, it's a female. Looking at the clip you see a large pair of pendulous breasts that quiver like a naked woman's breasts kind of quiver when she walks.

And, in keeping with the shotgun nature of the thread, I'd like to put forward the prospect of using a pump shotgun in lieu of a semi. Unless, of course, that semi has been THOROUGHLY tested and proven fool proof and jam proof as much as humanly possible. Think of it as if you were going to Africa to hunt the Big Five. You wouldn't dream of taking any gun that had the possibility of jamming on you, would you?
Old February 21, 2009, 08:36 PM   #19
kayakersteve

For what weapon??

For my 460V handgun, Corbon would fit the bill withh a 395 grain hardcast bullet.
https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/prod...roducts_id=117