The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 11, 2005, 07:09 AM   #1
Cecelius

Beretta 1935/ Removal of Extractor Pin

I have an old 1935 in .32 that I am planning to re-finish at bargain basement prices (ie, basically little or no tool investment), and I'm looking at how to remove the extractor pin (and basically any other pins that are similarly fixed in place).

Are these removed by punching them out? Any ideas for removal without a special punch? Do you think it's likely that I will damage it in the removal?
Old September 14, 2005, 04:09 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know what you mean by a "special punch". You will need a couple of sizes of drift punches, preferably no longer than the frame/slide width to prevent bending or breaking. You might also need a short starter punch. The pins are all basically drive fit, and come out left to right. Make sure you don't lose parts like the extractor spring, which can jump out when the extractor is removed.

Can you damage anything? Of course, but that is not too likely, as that is a pretty rugged gun. The most likely problems are losing parts or getting the gun apart and not being able to re-assemble it.

You don't say how you are going to refinish "at bargain basement prices", but if you are considering cold blue, I have to say that IME, it is never very satisfactory. Also note that any decent refinish job has to begin with the correct polishing. This requires a combination of equipment, experience and knowledge.

Good luck.

Jim