The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 3, 2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Jerry45

I put a new trigger in my 700.

Put a Jewell Trigger in my Remington 700 BDL that's in a Boyd's Thumb-hole stock today. I think a monkey could install it in the action. Except I dropped the spring for the bolt stop. Darn, those things can hide in plane site. I had to do a little inletting in the stock. Taking my time the whole job took maybe 20 minutes including getting tools out, putting them away, "finding the spring" and adjusting the trigger to my liking. What a nice trigger! We'll see how she shoot tomorrow.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:53 AM   #2
sourdough44

I've had a factory 700 trigger or 2 maybe that adjusted O.K.. I agree, one's $$ & time is usually better spent on just replacing it. That goes for the newer 'X-Mark Pro' too.
Old January 3, 2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Jerry45

I had adjusted the factory trigger down to 2.5 Lbs.. It was sweet. Broke like glass. It worked flawlessly for a year and one half. I function test all my firearms before loading. The old 06 saturated doing the.... "I never did anything to the trigger on my gun but it goes off when I close the bolt".... thing. I re-tuned it and never could get it to function properly below 3.5 lbs. Now it functions properly with a 1 Lb. trigger. When I go in the woods I'll just turn the Allen screw up to 2.5 lbs.
Old January 3, 2013, 07:02 PM   #4
mete

Can't be a very good gun if you can find a small spring within 20 min !

Remember that if you send the gun back to Remington for service they will remove the trigger [an keep it] and replace it with the factory one.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:37 AM   #5
Jerry45

There was/is no need to send it back. It originally had a 3.5 Lb. trigger. I reduced it to 2.5 Lbs. It function just fine... for a time. Then I started releasing the firing pin upon closing the bole. You know the problem that people who never tampered with trigger supposedly were having. I re-adjusted the trigger back to 3.5 Lbs. Why would I want to send my rifle back to Remington to get a new 3.5 Lb. or maybe even a 5 Lb. trigger? I put a Jewell in because I want the advantage of an adjustable trigger that is SAFE.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:13 PM   #6
hooligan1

That 2.5 lb setting is super Jerry45, I set my Timney's at 2.5 and I love them.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Jerry45

I have the one in my bench-rest gun (308) set to 6 oz.. It was installed by the smith when he built the rifle. He had it set at 1.5. I love it set at 6 oz. I shot the 06 yesterday set a 1 Lb. I think I would like it a little lighter off the bench but agree 2.5 would probably be very nice in the field. My 45/70's Happy Trigger brakes at 2.5 and I love that one.