The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 9, 2002, 12:54 PM   #1
9mmPara

Fire safe modifications

Hi all,
I recently acquired a fire safe from a former employer. It is extraordinarily heavy and seems quite sturdy, so I think it would make an ideal gun safe. With a few minor modifications it can be made to hold more long guns and handguns than I can afford to populate it with.
The problem is that fire safes tend to accumulate quite a bit of moisture inside, so some sort of dehumidification is definitely in order. My first thought was silica packs, but what does everyone think about drilling a small hole through the safe for a cord and installing a Golden Rod? I am trying to decide if the benefits of the Golden Rod outweigh the costs to the fire rating. How much do you think the fire resistance would suffer from drilling the hole? Is it worth the trouble, or should I just stick with the silica?

Thanks in advance for all the great advice.
JR
Old June 9, 2002, 03:26 PM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I am no expert but it would seem to me that if you drilled a hole in the safe and it was then exposed to a fire the hole would be an entry for heat espically if it was a total home fire, then you would have oxygen in the safe, flamable items, and then you introduce heat through the hole and the fire triangle is complete. One other thing..........I am not sure of the type of steel but drilling the hole could turn into Pure D Hell and a fortune in drill bits.
As I said I am no expert but I would buy a few cans of silica and recharge them in the oven as needed. If the safe is in an air conditioned/centrally heated home moisture would be minimal, even in a high humidity area such as I reside in.
Old June 10, 2002, 07:28 AM   #3
braindead0

I use a fire safe for gun storage, simply put one or two (or however many you need) of thos spiffy rechargable silica gel packs in them.

Seems to last pretty well too.