The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 7, 2002, 04:30 PM   #1
PWK

Delay to see screen

I only have this problem at TFL web site. When I select a forum to read the viewing area goes blank and then at the bottom of the browser screen it shows "Reading File" then "Documentone" and then it just stays blank for 5, 10 or 15 seconds and then poof the whole screen appears. The little monitors at the bottom left of my screen don't do anything after the Documentone appears. I am running Netscape 4.72 with W2000. Like I said I don't have this problem at any other site I visit, mainly newspaper and other news sites.
Old January 7, 2002, 04:57 PM   #2
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

It's most likely caused by the time it takes for the software to parse the information from the database and create the html code to display the page added on to the normal LAG for your internet connection.

Mix that with Netscape's inability to properly handle style sheets and you are going to get a delay in load time while netscape makes a desperate attempt to figure out what we are trying to tell it to do.

It's an annoyance but not a problem on our end.

I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen too many of them get elected.
Old January 8, 2002, 08:02 AM   #3
PWK

Ok, thanks. Is it worth going to Netscape 6.2 or should I just go over to IE 5.0.
Those little smiley things shouldn't be appearing. I just typed the capital d followed by quotes and they popped up.
Old January 8, 2002, 08:02 PM   #4
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

I have never used Netscape 6, but I haven't heard many good things about it. Everyone I know that still uses Netscape has told me to avoid it.

If you go to IE go for 5.5. 6.0 is extremely buggy still.

I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen too many of them get elected.