The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 27, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1
StainlessSteel215

my new carry alternate in 9mm :)

Just put this (like new) baby on layaway at my local shop...waiting for a nice check to be cut in a week. other than an idiot scratch on the slide, this thing looks good as new and I cant wait to fire it for the first time. I know some of the die hard/trueblood 1911 guys out there will turn their noses up at a 1911 style compact gun in 9mm but I think its an incredible firearm personally and was built to perfection. They are even putting a new high polish on the feed ramp for me...on the house. I will probably replace the sights with big dots or night sights...right now it has plain Novak iron sights

I'm excited to have 2 compact 9mm with lots of diversity all things considered as my dedicated carry guns. I strictly use 124gr +P Golden Sabers as my defensive ammo for these guns. Happy early X-Mas to me

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; October 27, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old October 27, 2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Creeper

Quote:
I know some of the die hard/trueblood 1911 guys out there will turn their noses up at a 1911 style compact gun in 9mm
Not really... if it goes bang every time you pull the trigger, it works for me.
Quote:
They are even putting a new high polish on the feed ramp for me...on the house.
I don't know who "they" is... but I hope like hell they are a qualified 1911 gunsmith who knows what they're doing. More people have screwed up 1911s by just "polishing the feed ramp" than just about any modification you can mention... with trigger jobs coming in a close second.
Quote:
I will probably replace the sights with big dots or night sights...right now it has plain Novak iron sights.
I don't know how you intend to carry it, but big dots can create problems with some holsters.

Enjoy it... they're a nice CC gun.

C
Old October 27, 2012, 09:42 PM   #3
StainlessSteel215

Good point creeper...usually IWB holster carry so I want to reduce any chance of getting hung up. Ill probably look into low profile night sights. Im just so conditioned to having 3 dots so might as well spring for night sights

And the guy at the shop is THE dedicated 1911 smith. Knows more about them than John Browning lol. In all honesty he's been there for 20+ years and knows 1911's inside and out. The ramp isnt bad but its seen better days so I asked for a polish.

Its such a sweet gun man...fell in love as soon as I picked it up today. Never owned a Springfield yet, glad Im starting off right!
Old October 27, 2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Creeper

Just noticed you said "idiot scratch" on the slide. The slide? Did you mean frame?

Just out of curiosity, are you a lefty or a righty?

Sounds like you've got it well sorted out... Good shootin'.

C
Old October 27, 2012, 10:14 PM   #5
StainlessSteel215

Good catch, nope that was just a simple idiot typo about an idiot scratch lol....its your typical scratch from the slide stop/release running in a downward curve on the frame indeed. Didnt notice any scratching on the slide itself even though its totally possible while re-assembling if you are careless and fling it upward
Old October 27, 2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Creeper

I figured it was a mental typo.

Have the smith check the slide stop for an adequate little bevel on the tab edge, so it doesn't require too much effort to install... without the use of any dumb plunger "holder-downer" tools. Or not... that's just a personal pet peeve.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nice, but posted in the wrong forum.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread