The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 9, 2011, 01:23 PM   #26
egor20

Quote:
I'll give them a hard time is if they have a CCW license, but yet are NOT carrying.
Me and my wife always knows when we're each going to the Commissary or the PX.

No gun LoL.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 9, 2011, 01:53 PM   #27
pgdion

No law to disclose in MN either unless asked. I would think the officer would appreciate being told though and if it makes the officer happy, then it makes me happy. ;-) I also know that the officers I've spoke with are quite supportive of the permit to carry. One guy said they have never had an issue with a person with a carry permit (regarding the gun of course). I would think it might just cut you a little break (between the politeness and the responsibility and training that comes with the permit it might slip you onto the good side of the fence ). Thanks for sharing.
Old December 9, 2011, 02:36 PM   #28
secret_agent_man

Has it been considered that a duty to inform could unconstitutional under the Fourth Amendment? Stopping a motorist doesn't give the cops the right to go on a fishing expedition. On the other hand, maybe it falls withing the scope of the Terry search and you're being let off light on the basis of your verbal statemet in lieu of a frisk. Whatever the case, seems like not informing is protected by the Fourth, and the Terry search is within the right of the police. And of course, one of the dangers here lies in informing a police impersonator.
Old December 9, 2011, 09:45 PM   #29
Vermonter

4th ammendment

My point of offering up the information is to show them that there is nothing for me to hide. If i should be asked to step out of the vehicle i dont want a pat down to reveal my gun.
Old December 9, 2011, 10:13 PM   #30
ltc444

Based on the Canton OH situation, I have pondered this question at length.

I have asked several officers what their training is. To my suprise AZ does not appear to have a standard. One AZ State Trooper told me that Officers have not been trained nor is there a published standard for dealing with concealed carry. One Deputy I spoke with also confirmed this lack of procedures.

My personal procedure is to hand my CCW and DL to the Officer. I also when stopped at night Turn on the interior lights, roll my window down and place both hands on the wheel of my truck. Any moves I make are slow and deliberate. "Slow as lasses in winter".

Since my registration and proof of insurance is in my center console along with a pistol, I inform the Officer and follow his instructions to the letter. I will probably place my registration and proof of insurance in the side pocket.

When in Pinal County, I do not stop for a deputy unless I am in a well lighted location with other people present. I also request a DPS Officer respond. The reason for this is another story.
Old December 9, 2011, 10:13 PM   #31
Hunter Rose

Location: 30 miles from Everywhere, right in the middle of Nowhere...
Some states have a requirement to inform, some don't. I figure it's just easier to go ahead and inform...
Old December 9, 2011, 10:23 PM   #32
spaniel

My home state is a not-required-to-inform state but my state of birth (where there is reciprocity) is a must-inform state. I had one experience where I needed to call police in my state of birth and as the law requires I informed them I was CCW as soon as they arrived to deal with the situation (in which I was a victim). First officer was professional, second was a nervous SOB. I ended up not only having my weapon taken away (understandable) but being subjected to a full-body frisk afterwards. Idiot had no clue on reciprocity. Then he tried to refuse to give me my ammo back, saying that I may reload my gun and shoot him before he could drive away. Really, that was what he said, after I called THEM as the victim of a crime. During most of the encounter he had his hand on his weapon.

After that experience, I would never inform unless I had to..either by law or because there was a realistic chance the office would find out I was carrying...like having to get out of the car during a stop.

After my experience with a couple LEOs on an identical thread to this on another forum, my concerns and beliefs have only been reinforced.
Old December 9, 2011, 11:31 PM   #33
shootniron

Quote:
After my experience with a couple LEOs on an identical thread to this on another forum, my concerns and beliefs have only been reinforced.

My experience also over on DC, really makes me question why they became police officers and also makes me very leery of them.
Old December 9, 2011, 11:57 PM   #34
stephen426

I am from Florida and I have been pulled over several times for speeding and I had a weapon in the car each time.

The first instance was before I was before I was even 21 and was made by city of the city Miami Beach (day time). I was legally carrying my gun in the glove box in a snapped holster. As soon as I was pulled over, I put down the windows and placed both hands on the window. I instructed my buddy who was riding with me to do the same. I told the officers that I was legally carrying a firearm and that it was in the glove box. I also have my license and regstration in there so it would be a pretty bd idea to go fishing for them with a gun in there. The officers made us get out of the car, patted us down (after telling them we had a gun in the car), and proceeded to remove the guns. They wrote me a ticket and handed me back the guns unloaded. This was pretty much as expected except for the pat down. City of Miami Beach cops are known for being jerks though.

I was pulled over by the Highway Patrol on the FL Turnpike going 102 mph in a 70 mph. It was really late at night and there were no cars on the road. Since it was at night, I turned on the interior light first. I then put down the windows and put my hands out of the window. I had another friend with me and instructed him to do the same. When he arrived at my window, I told him I had a loaded weapon in the car and a concealed weapons permit. He asked me where the gun was and I told him it was in the glove compartment. He asked to remove the gun, but he allowed us to stay in the car. He asked if I knew why I was pulled over and I gave him a straight answer. I told him I knew I was speeding, but I wasn't paying attention to how fast I was going. I had quite a ways to go still and we had the music up (which I turned off as soon as we were pulled over). He came back with a ticket for an obstructed tag (non-moving violation that cost around $50) and told me to drive safe. 32 mph over would have been a $300+ ticket and could have been written up as reckless endangerment. He thanked me for telling him I had a gun on the car and told me to drive safely after he handed me back the gun.

Although Florida does not require me to notify a police officer that I am carrying a weapon, I will continue to do so. First of all, it will greatly reduce the chance of me getting shot if he sees the gun and over-reacts. Secondly, it might get me off with a lesser fine.
Old December 10, 2011, 12:20 AM   #35
nogo

Last week I was pulled over at night for no tag light. I informed the officer that I was carrying--Texas CHL. He issued a warning ticket and then we discussed guns for 15 minutes. This was the 3rd time being pulled over in Texas with a CCH--handgun on me. No problems at all. Of course, I did not give the cop any reasons to do otherwise.

Texas has allowed concealed carry since 1996, and the holders of CCH's as a group have had an outstanding record as nonviolators of Texas criminal law.
Here, if you screw up, you lose it.
Old December 10, 2011, 08:37 AM   #36
Skans

Quote:
Skans, in case this is directed at me, the gun is essentially in my glovebox (the enclosed center console), enclosed/encased as required by law. I don't inform because I'm not required to and as Scout mentioned, some officers get a little weird about it. If he/she asks if I have a gun around, I won't lie, but I don't think officers' problems are with those who carry legally anyway.
I wasn't very clear clear, but what I meant by the gun not being in the glove box is that the gun is on my person or right next to me in easy reach. In that case, I would promptly advise the officer that I am armed and licensed. If its locked in my glove box, I might not mention anything.

However, I am inclined to start making it a habit to advice the police that I'm licensed and armed if I'm ever stopped. My reason for this is that I drive quite a bit in Florida, Georgia, N. Carolina, S. Carolina and Tennessee. When it's 12:00 am I might not remember which state goes with what laws.....

Oh, and I make it a point to never drive my vehicle north of the Mason-Dixon line - that's a different world up there!
Old December 10, 2011, 10:50 AM   #37
MLeake

I had my second encounter with LE while carrying a couple weeks ago. I wasn't pulled over, though. A girl apparently hydroplaned, lost control of her car, and spun into the auto hauler trailer on which we were towing my wife's car.

Had a deputy sheriff respond first. Since there were no injuries, we had to wait a while, in the rain, for the TN state trooper.

The collision had sheared my hitch at the weld, so stopping the rig, connected only by chains, on wet road took a while. Got stopped, and ran back on the shoulder to check on the other driver while my wife called 911.

Girl was ok, though apologetic and crying. My wife, the dogs and I were ok. Some Samaritans had stopped, so I left the girl with them and walked back, in the pouring rain, to my truck.

I had locked my gun in the truck vault when the deputy arrived at the girl's car - or more accurately, the point at which her car left the interstate. (In a ditch; looked totaled.)

Since we were a quarter mile from my gun, I didn't bring it up.

Deputy, as he was leaving, said I should wait at my truck for the trooper.

When the trooper arrived, I told him that I had a permit, and the gun was in the truck. He said "Don't worry about that, let's look for damage and you can tell me what happened."

IE a non-event.

Now in general, I keep my wallet accessible and away from my gun while driving. I keep registration and insurance in the glove box, and the gun on my person or in the console vault. I proactively will not display a weapon by going for wallet or paperwork.

But I still notify. I really do not want to surprise the officer. In his place, I would not like the surprise. I consider it an issue of courtesy.
Old December 10, 2011, 01:54 PM   #38
bikerbill

Pulled over on a freeway in Arkansas a few months ago, immediately informed him I had a Texas CHL and a loaded firearm in the car. He asked me where it was, told him in the door pocket, he said leave it there, got me out of the car, asked me if I had any other weapons, told him a 3-inch folder clipped to weakside pocket, he said he didn't care about knives, patted me down and gave me a warning for right front wheel over the curb white line (!!) .. was pulled over in my own town a few weeks ago for not having a front plate, again informed, told him it was in the glovebox, gave me a warning to replace the plate, which I did the next day. Both guys were very friendly (Arkie asked what I was carrying and we chatted about Kahrs for a bit) ...
Old December 10, 2011, 07:47 PM   #39
Vermonter

pulled over while hunting

I can immagine my buddies and i. "sir there are four long guns in here four handguns and about seven million knives" lol
Old December 11, 2011, 06:11 AM   #40
Sparks1957

7 million knives? Wow!
Old December 11, 2011, 10:45 AM   #41
TexasJustice7

Quote:
SingleSix: As a full-time LEO, I appreciate my fellow citizens exercising their rights. I have yet to pull over such a person who was anything but polite and courteous. Knowing as I do that many LEOs have had their lives saved by CCW folks, I'm all for it. The only way I'll give them a hard time is if they have a CCW license, but yet are NOT carrying.
I suppose you were kidding about giving them a hard time. On trips I make going onto federal property I don't carry. I have yet to be stopped in Texas or anywhere in the past several years, since I got my CWP. But coming from a family who are in law enforcement, I am always respectful toward
law enforcement if I am stopped. I saw where some with lots of traffic tickets say they can't get their CWP renewed. I think that only happens in Texas if someone does not pay their tickets.
Old December 11, 2011, 12:06 PM   #42
Nordeste

Quote:
But I still notify. I really do not want to surprise the officer. In his place, I would not like the surprise. I consider it an issue of courtesy.
You have just nailed it. Everyone appreciates it when you come across whoever makes your life easier, whether they are legally required to do so, or not.
Old December 11, 2011, 12:12 PM   #43
moose_nukelz

While it may be your right not to notify on a traffic stop, just know that we (LEO's) do not like surprises. If you reach for your paperwork and I see a firearm you didn't tell me about don't get upset when I put my weapon in your ear then prone you out on the pavement. Do us both a favor and let us know about it, as long as you are legally carrying don't make a minor traffic stop into something a lot worse.
Old December 11, 2011, 12:57 PM   #44
spaniel

I would never want to allow for a situation where the officer would discover I'm carrying by surprise, of course, but if I'm carrying IWB and hand my documentation over when they arrive at the window that's not going to happen. Now if they want me to get out of the car, I'll let them know.

The one time I did inform (required by law in that state) the officer at first refused to give me my ammo back and said he was afraid I'd reload and shoot him before he could leave...this in a situation where I'd called them as the victim of a crime. A couple times during the encounter he was so jittery I was afraid he was going to draw on me. It was a very stressful experience.

In other threads like this people have shared experiences where a well-intentioned FYI to an officer turned into staring down the barrel of a service pistol...one LEO said if someone was kind enough to inform him he'd "tell them not to do anything stupid or he'd shoot them in the f$%king face". How professional, really encourages voluntary cooperation.

I'm glad people here have had good experiences and the LEO who have chimed in seem reasonable. But in LEO like any other profession, there are good apples and bad ones. I have nothing to gain by informing in a situation where the LEO would not discover the firearm, but significant risk if they are the bad type. I'll pay the extra ticket cost, if that's all it will save me.

I obey laws so I've only been pulled over a couple times...last time I was carrying IWB with my wife and two kids in the car. I had no legal obligation to inform, and nothing to gain if some jumpy officer was going to point a weapon at my family. I did not inform, I was polite and cooperative and had my documents ready when they got to my car, got a warning, and went on my way.
Old December 11, 2011, 10:33 PM   #45
Vermonter

documents ready

For me that would mean digging in the glove box across the bench seat of the truck. I would think that would be an excellent way to make an officer jumpy. I kill the engine, turn on interior lights, keep my hands where they are, and awaite my instructions.

These guys deal with enough scum and bs. I figure it is good to make their lives easier and let em know from the start Im a good guy. I dont do drugs, dont drive if ive had too many, and generally do nothing illegal so i have zero to hide. I just dont see a point in holding back.
Old December 11, 2011, 11:23 PM   #46
farmerboy

For the most part everyone seems very courtesy. I said earlier that a good attitude will carry you so much farther I'n most cases. Most seem like the perfect person I'n a traffic stop. Very nice, don't move quickly and preferably hands I'n plain view, i like people to tell me if carrying up front(though I'n Texas you don't have to unless asked) and try and be polite and that's what i try to give I'n return. Although I know every once I'n a while you get a bad apple to pull you over and show no courtesy but for most part we (Leo) are just doing our jobs and yes occasionally will have to deal with butts. Everyone does have bad days but if a person gets stopped and comes across an a$$ alot of times it doesn't work out in the end I'n their favor. And yes i don't like surprises either
Old December 12, 2011, 08:46 AM   #47
TexasJustice7

Quote:
Farmboy: I'n Texas you don't have to unless asked) and try and be polite and that's what i try to give I'n return. Although I know every once I'n a while you get a bad apple to pull you over and show no courtesy but for most part we (Leo) are just doing our jobs and yes occasionally will have to deal with butts. Everyone does have bad days but if a person gets stopped and comes across an a$$ alot of times it doesn't work out in the end I'n their favor. And yes i don't like surprises either
Not disputing what it used to be but my information in my CWP class was that you must inform any LEO if stopped and present both your CWP and
driver's license. Like anything else it might have changed since then, but
I don't believe it has.
Old December 12, 2011, 09:51 AM   #48
cnimrod

The only thing you can truly control

is your own attitude.
As others have noted being calm and respectful is always a good idea. That said as one of our LEO 's mentioned rookies are still learning. Had a hunting buddy and friends here in NJ go through a local DWI check some years back on their way to NY for rifle season. Don't recall all the details but one stated they were going hunting and had guns in the car. They ended up being detained for several hours while everyone and every gun was checked out. One senior officer who was not on scene originally did apologize to them and explain this only happened because they were rookies.
I've since been stopped for speeding several times while going hunting (always seem to be in a rush to squeeze in more time I don't announce I have a gun in the car (It's always been upstate where guns and hunting are more mainstream) but I am dressed for hunting and I'm sure they know.
I don't carry a handgun but if I did, common sense tells me the last thing i would want to do is startle an officer with a gun or the announcement of one.
Good thread, I'll have to pass on the father who does have a carry license.
Old December 12, 2011, 10:21 AM   #49
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJustice7
I might be driving in Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Lousiana. Anyone know regarding those 3 states which have reciprical agreements with Texas as to whether those 3 states require presenting the permit and the license to the law officer?
The Arkansas statute reads as follows:
Quote:
(a) Any licensee possessing a valid license issued pursuant to this subchapter may carry a concealed handgun.
(b) The licensee shall:
(1) Carry the license, together with valid identification, at any time when the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun; and
(2) Display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer.
Ark. Code Ann. ยง 5-73-315 (West)

The way I read this, if you're carrying, you have to present both ID and your CCL to any LEO on demand. As a practical matter, however, many officers believe that if you have a CCL, you need to let that fact be known to the LEO know upon contact.

My personal opinion: I'd probably go ahead and mention it whether you're carrying or not. I'm not sure which states put CHCL information in NCIC, but Arkansas does. If I run an Arkansas driver's license through ACIC/NCIC, it will tell me if that person has their CHCL. That being the case, I know that if I'm stopped, the officer's going to find out about my CHCL, regardless of whether I inform him or her.

Another personal opinion: I think how you notify is every bit as important as whether you notify. There's a world of difference between:
a) saying, "Good evening, officer. Here's my ID and my CHCL. There's a pistol on my right hip. How would you like for me to proceed?" and
b) screaming, "I HAVE A GUN!"
Old December 12, 2011, 10:36 AM   #50
gofast1320

I would never want to allow for a situation where the officer would discover I'm carrying by surprise, of course, but if I'm carrying IWB and hand my documentation over when they arrive at the window that's not going to happen. Now if they want me to get out of the car, I'll let them know.

The one time I did inform (required by law in that state) the officer at first refused to give me my ammo back and said he was afraid I'd reload and shoot him before he could leave...this in a situation where I'd called them as the victim of a crime. A couple times during the encounter he was so jittery I was afraid he was going to draw on me. It was a very stressful experience.

In other threads like this people have shared experiences where a well-intentioned FYI to an officer turned into staring down the barrel of a service pistol...one LEO said if someone was kind enough to inform him he'd "tell them not to do anything stupid or he'd shoot them in the f$%king face". How professional, really encourages voluntary cooperation.

I'm glad people here have had good experiences and the LEO who have chimed in seem reasonable. But in LEO like any other profession, there are good apples and bad ones. I have nothing to gain by informing in a situation where the LEO would not discover the firearm, but significant risk if they are the bad type. I'll pay the extra ticket cost, if that's all it will save me.

I obey laws so I've only been pulled over a couple times...last time I was carrying IWB with my wife and two kids in the car. I had no legal obligation to inform, and nothing to gain if some jumpy officer was going to point a weapon at my family. I did not inform, I was polite and cooperative and had my documents ready when they got to my car, got a warning, and went on my way.

Wow! What I would have done is ask for a supervisor to visit the scene and followed through with a statement or whatever the supervisor said do. I stopped a fellow about 2 am for speeding who was all jumpy and nervous and when I asked if he had any guns, knives etc he got freaky. Turns out he had a loaded .45 under the front seat. After checking to make sure gun was not stolen and hearing why he had it there (he wasn't carrying to go armed he was returning from his farm where they had been shooting) I unloaded it put rounds in the bed of his truck, uncuffed him and sent him on the way with a speeding ticket- Oh yeah, told him if he wanted to ride around with a loaded gun to either get a job in LE or get a carry permit. Not everyone with a gun is a bad person, lot more good folks out there than bad we just hear about the bad all the time.