The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 30, 2008, 03:01 PM   #51
Keltyke

Quote:
You've probably seen it already.
I'll add head/eyes on a swivel. Firm-footed stance. Alert appearance. Hands close in to body. Keeping a space around you.
Old July 30, 2008, 03:22 PM   #52
wildturkey76209

Sum it up in four words....

Somebody has already said it. "Don't escalate the situation." Oh I know, we have all (myself included) played out scenarios in our heads where we shoved our guns into some A hole's face who richly deserved it. Pulling one's weapon ought to be the last thing we do, not the first.
Old July 30, 2008, 03:26 PM   #53
Keltyke

Quote:
Pulling one's weapon ought to be the last thing we do, not the first.
Actually, I say, given justification, pulling your weapon is your FIRST option, pulling the trigger is your LAST.
Old July 30, 2008, 08:44 PM   #54
Dwight55

If you want to see the "confident walk" just go to a Wally World some Saturday morning, . . . take a lawn chair, a clipboard & pencil, . . . and a cooler full of cold iced tea.

Get a spot near one of the handicapped parking spaces, . . . and just observe. Ask yourself if that guy in the red ball cap would be a good victim, . . . how about the old guy with the cane, . . . the elderly lady with two grandchildren in tow, . . .

It won't take long, . . . you'll begin spotting folks you would leave alone if you were a mugger or otherwise bg. They are aware of their location, situation, they are observant, . . . and will probably give you the eye going in and out.

Watch for the CHL's too, . . . they're fun to spot.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 31, 2008, 09:55 AM   #55
Glenn E. Meyer

There is significant literature on victim selection based on things like 'walk', alertness, attitude. There are even computer simulations gleaned from filming folks that criminals would or wouldn't select. Kind of like the motion capture they use for movies nowadays. Modern classes like Insights' SVT teaches this.

Scholarship is wonderful.
Old August 5, 2008, 07:42 PM   #56
crebralfix

I am not sure how to maintain situational awareness at all times outside my home. How does one do this?
Old August 5, 2008, 08:20 PM   #57
Edward429451

Do not provoke the situation !!

Do not slough off what Dwight said!!!

Do not toss the body language book aside!!
Old August 5, 2008, 08:24 PM   #58
Edward429451

Quote:
I am not sure how to maintain situational awareness at all times outside my home. How does one do this?
AT low ready?
Old August 5, 2008, 08:24 PM   #59
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Absolute situational awareness is (of course) not possible. Awareness is the key word, eyes up, head on a swivel, watching, looking for suspicious behavior. Avoiding areas, places, times that lend to danger.
Old August 6, 2008, 05:42 PM   #60
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I believe for those of you who are allowed to be armed, you should think of it the way I am forced to, imagine you are un-armed- that is probably the best way to avoid a situation where you may have to shoot.
I agree, that's what I did when I received my CPL. Most don't know I carry because nothing changed in the way I act. I have always carried myself confidently and getting a CPL did not cause me to become more aggressive, nor did it turn me into "Mr. nice guy" like many think it should. My attitude has changed to happier, but that's not CPL, it's retirement.

Sit in restaurants "tactically." I try to have exits within sight and do my best to face the main door to observe patrons' entry. This one upsets the wife.

Head on a swivel. Works for fighter-pilots and works for us as well, especially walking, bicycling, or in a drive-thru. Keep space between you and the car in front of you in a drive-thru also, for emergency egress.

In Michigan we can't go to bars when armed. The bars I visit, which is seldom, are never rowdy and are neighborhood places where it seems everybody knows everybody. The guns stay in the safe, but the seating is the same as above.

Stay out of Detroit.
Old August 7, 2008, 05:07 PM   #61
shortwave

Seems that most of what has been desribed in posts can be summed up as being a bit"street smart". Although any one of us could find ourselves in a situation where having a gun would be in our best interest, being street smart gives us a definite advantage.
Old August 7, 2008, 05:17 PM   #62
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Stay out of Detroit.

LOL. sad but true.
Old August 7, 2008, 07:24 PM   #63
Socrates

Quote:
I guess: she's a bit of a wuss in a lot of ways, but she weighs 65# or so, she's quite territorial, and she seems to have good instincts about people: she's normally very friendly with my customers, but the few times someone I've had a bad feeling about has come to the door, she's either barked, or stood off and kept a close eye on them.

Anyone with a similar work situation? How do you discourage undesirable folks? What else should I be doing?
I was in a gun store in Antioch when a guy came in, pretty clear black gang banger type. Tried to engage the employees in discussion. Didn't know the right questions to ask about the guns, or was scared. His partner came in about 3 minutes after, baggy clothes, etc.

The guys had a giant rott, and, another big lab, but, they didn't react. Both of the guys behind the desk pulled their shirts up, and, tucked them in so they could easily, and quickly draw their Glocks. The bad guy started complaining that it was illegal in Kali to carry a CCW!!! They informed him, correctly, that this was their place of business, and, they could carry whatever they wanted. Meanwhile, all I had was pepper spray.

His partner came in, and, I think he expected to see a really different situation, and both departed. I KNOW they had something in those baggy clothes. The ex-military guy said,

"I knew we were going to have someone try and rob us, but, I didn't think it would be today."

I was well aware of what was going on, and, kept the guy a good distance away, and, was looking for both weapons and cover.

That said, my couple things to do. I'm always in dangerous situations, working with people who are in some ways, from a different planet. What I have learned is that I can trigger a reaction I didn't want, by the simplest innocent comment, being either misheard, or misunderstood. SHUTUP!
It's very hard to misunderstand silence.

Stay away from those situations, if you can, and stay out of the areas I work in, if you can. If you can't, watch your back. Don't get caught alone, and, don't get caught unarmed, law or no law.

I wonder what St. Peter is going to say, if shot or stabbed I die, after working in East Oakland, unarmed? I can see it now,

"Just because you can't get a CCW, because your police chief hasn't issued one in 30 years, doesn't mean on a God scale stupidity is an excuse for getting yourself killed.
We don't let really stupid people in here. Find alternate accomodations."

NEVER assume that you are going to be protected. I remember working a couple weeks for a midnight basketball league, Oakland Police Athletic League to keep thugs off the streets, was a participant. Police had been there every week, and, I was getting concerned about being 'spotted' carrying. So, that next week, just bring pepper spray. NO POLICE THAT WEEK.

If a fight starts, get out of the way, and get distance. Getting punched in the back of the head takes your ability to deal with stuff away from you.

Carry something at all times, and, never let it off your person. Also, never let them know you have it, if possible, until the last minute. The fact that you are carrying often
gives you that air of I'm not the right person to pick on...
Old August 7, 2008, 08:06 PM   #64
bclark1

A corollary to the good ol' USMC adage:

Assume everyone also has a plan to kill you.

I got mashed up pretty good by assuming a couple guys were blowhards and letting them get the drop on me. I assumed I read people pretty well and had a good sense of when people were escalating (as opposed to just posturing). But I got bit by that 1%. Almost anyone can level anyone else if their back's turned, and then it's over. You won't be drawing.

I guess this just goes to situational awareness, but it's another iteration of awareness to realize that potential adversaries might be thinking exactly what you are - or out-thinking you altogether.