The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2006, 09:31 PM   #1
intruder

gun goes click no boom

I just started having a problem with a favorite reload of mine30/06 165 gr rem core loc over 57.4 gr imr 4350 in rem case i've using this load for years always shot great groups. The problem i'm having is every once a while maybe 1 load out of 5 fails to fire. I'm using cci200 primers which are fairly new. this happens in different rifles. I just went on a boar hunt and had a problem. I use a spray on lube so i don't think any lube contamiation occured. Anyone have any ideas?
Old March 26, 2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

Since it is happening in several rifles, it's bad primers, failure to fully seat primers, or, remotely, pushed back shoulders.
Old March 26, 2006, 10:23 PM   #3
Rodger Peterson

I had the same problem with a 30-30 I have using CCI primers just before hunting season last fall. Swithed back to Winchester primers and have never had a problem since. I think some rifles just can't strike the CCI's hard enough.
Old March 26, 2006, 10:35 PM   #4
Ruger4570

I would have to agree with Leftoverdj. Are you getting good solid firing pin strike impressions on the failed primers? If you are, it really only leaves "bad primers" as the culprit if they are seated deep enough. It is unusual to find bad primers, at least it has been for me. In the 45 or so years I have been reloading, I only remember one time I had one fail to fire. You said also it has happened on a couple of guns too so it would make me think it isn't the gun. I have read in the past that CCI has a harder metal cup than some other brands, but I have not experienced it or at least a problem in my guns. I would write to CCI and see if they have an explination.
Old March 27, 2006, 02:32 AM   #5
Ifishsum

I use CCI primers a lot and none of my firearms have a problem with them but my brothers revolver doesn't like them (light strikes). We load his with Winchester primers and the problems disappear. Maybe your FP spring is getting a little worn or there's some fouling in the channel slowing down the pin. CCI seems to have a reputation for harder primers from what I've seen.
Old March 27, 2006, 03:05 AM   #6
mete

You could have gotten a bad batch of primers , it happens.As the problem is in more than one gun I'd say that was it !!
Old March 27, 2006, 11:48 AM   #7
Rivers

The most likely culprit would be primers not seated deeply enough.
Old March 28, 2006, 07:14 AM   #8
dodge

I/ve used CCI primers for years and never had a problem with them so I would check out to see if the primer is fully seated. Did the round went off with a second strike? If so then it's diffently the primer not seated fully.
Old March 29, 2006, 07:43 AM   #9
BIGRED

I have had the same problem with my Marlin 336 in 35 rem. it does not like CCI primers. I have been using the Winchester primers and never had 1 problem. i have had several issues with the CCI's in the past regarding misfires, primers blowing out of the cases, primers falling out of the cases in the ammo can. Winchester makes great primers and they cost less than CCI.
Old March 29, 2006, 03:53 PM   #10
30Cal

What do the primers look like on the rounds that do fire? Are they backed-out a little? Are you FL resizing (and if so, did you use a gage to set the die or just go by the instructions)?
Old March 29, 2006, 07:29 PM   #11
M14

I had a similar problem several years ago. The gun shop owner reported that several people had had that problem with CCI primers. I switched & the problem went away. The gun (M1 carbine) did have a light hammer fall but the primers I switched to showed good indentation.