The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 3, 2002, 12:28 AM   #1
MTNTHUNDER

So what I should I buy to go with my PT-140?

I just bought a Taurus PT-140 and I am putting together a CCW belt. Since 95% of my clothing is untucked button-style shirts, I have no problems hiding anything under my clothing. Right now, I have pepper-spray (in case), extra magazine and case for the PT-140 and a small 2AA maglight with case. I was thinking of a better light (Surefire) and I have no idea what would be a good light. Also, would adding handcuffs to this belt be a practicle (and legal) option?

Thanks,

MTN
Old December 4, 2002, 02:42 PM   #2
boing

"Legal" depends on your state and local laws.

"Practical" depends on how many citizens' arrests you plan on making per week, how eager you are to wrestle with a bag guy with your gun in one hand and cuffs in the other, and maybe how how badly you wanted to graduate from that police academy you washed out of...

Here's a thread on flashlights, which reminds me that I need a little light for daily use...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hreadid=143220
Old December 5, 2002, 02:35 PM   #3
Archer1440

Quote:
So what I should I buy to go with my PT-140?
A few years ago the wiseguy answer would have been a "hockey mask", but I am given to undertstand that they have fixed those issues.
Old December 5, 2002, 02:39 PM   #4
Correia

I would say no on the handcuffs.

Your job as a CCW holder is to protect yourself, not to capture the badguys.

Putting the cuffs on the badguy is probably one of the single most dangerous things a cop can do. You have to give up your tactical advantage and close to within grappling distance to put the cuffs on.

When you do this you are potentially closing with a very violent and dangerous person. Who may have a knife or contact weapon. Plus a career criminal is going to have a lot more experience being cuffed and wresting around than your average CCW holder.

Notice that when the cops put the cuffs on somebody there is usually a second cop a few feet back and off to the side with a drawn sidearm. This is for very good reason.