The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 21, 2002, 11:00 PM   #1
jcoiii

re: carrying

i intend to obtain my CCW shortly after christmas. i am curious to know the most efficient way to carry my firearm given my dress style. of course, i realize that changing my style would make this tons easier,but before i consider that, i want to pick the brains of the best and brightest to see if i can carry with my style of dress now. so here is my style(s). semi-loose fitting slacks, pants, jeans, shorts. shirts always tucked in w/ belt. sometimes i wear a jacket, though often that is not the case. not wearing a jacket in addition to always tucking in whatever shirt i may be wearing eliminates a few options such as shoulder harness, OWB, and some IWB (like a small of the back holster). so my question to you knowledgable ones- what other options are left for me? i am familiar with the pager pal, for one. but that is about it. (and yes, i know i can change my dress habits, but i don't want to if i don't have to). thanks in advance for your tips and advice.

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old November 22, 2002, 12:11 AM   #2
Navy joe

Look at smart-carry(careful, sensitive area), Pager-pal, Comp-tac Shirt Tucker, and ankle options.
Old November 22, 2002, 09:10 AM   #3
Iggy

Last edited by Iggy; November 24, 2002 at 05:25 PM.
Old November 22, 2002, 07:35 PM   #4
youngun

You didn't mention what your CCW would be, but it sounds like you may be a candidate for ankle holster carry.
The objection is that it's so far away, but I'd say the same about Thunderwear and the like. With good technique and practice you could get pretty swift I'm sure, may even help you get moving on the draw - a common problem.
No offense Iggy, but it's a lot easier to take a good photo of a well-hidden gun than to walk around, bend, stretch and go shopping without a hammer or beavertail stickin' out.
For that reason, I never tuck. Not comfortable with it myself.

And I'm not too sure a shoulder holter is out of the question for you either. Lots of suits have a gun under the armpit.
And my opinion is that ankle carry is superior to others for extended speels in a chair or driving. Get an ankle weight for the other side, so you don't develop a support-side list!

Oh, and then there's my proprietary piece, still trying to find a manufacture.
It's based on the pager pal, but instead of a pager, it's a colostomy bag.
I call it the "Pooper Pal."
Folks tend to give you a little more room as well.
Old November 22, 2002, 08:17 PM   #5
logical

I know it isn't given much consideration around here as a serious round, but you could easily carry a NAA Guardian .380 in a pocket holster given your loose pants.
Old November 22, 2002, 09:56 PM   #6
Jim V

Kramer makes his Confidant shirt with the built in holster, wear it like a formfitting shoulder holster. KRAMER.

There are several makers of belly bands that may work for you.

A good pocket holster for the times you are wearing your "semi-loose" fitting trousers, if they are of the Dockers style..
Old November 23, 2002, 12:47 AM   #7
jcoiii

thanks

for the input from everyone. i guess to answer one question, i have a glock 27, just to help anyone envision what i'm looking to conceal. i haven't had time to pull up any of these ideas and look at them, but i'm sure they'll be wonderful. you guys are great! i love this place

Old November 23, 2002, 08:08 AM   #8
Iggy

Last edited by Iggy; November 24, 2002 at 05:26 PM.
Old November 23, 2002, 09:41 AM   #9
Hkmp5sd

If you're like most of us, you will go through 10 or so holsters before you finally get to one you like (of course, you will then get a new gun and have to start all over). Unfortunately, it is a lot of trial and error. My preference for the G27 is a strongside IWB holster. Well hidden and stays in place.

NRA Life Member
Old November 23, 2002, 08:41 PM   #10
don't shoot it's me

http://www.delfatti.com/webdoc5.html
Old November 24, 2002, 12:43 AM   #11
John in ca

Probably a dumb question, but...

For those of you guys that use the "inside the waist/ belt" style, are you ever concerned that with all your movement, bending, sitting, running, etc, it might go off? I've seen that style mentioned in a self-defense book and the author recommended putting it right in the front. I know it may sound ridiculous, but couldn't a DA auto or revolver just go off with all that contact?
Old November 24, 2002, 09:39 AM   #12
Iggy

Last edited by Iggy; November 24, 2002 at 05:27 PM.
Old November 24, 2002, 03:21 PM   #13
another okie

A good holster covers the trigger, and if the trigger is covered nothing is going to make a Glock go off. If you're worried about it, drop the slide (gently) on an empty chamber, then insert a magazine and go forth into the world. At the end of a week see if the trigger is still set. If it is, you know it wouldn't have gone off.

I often carry a Glock 26, which is the same size. I use IWB or ankle; it seems too big for me to go in a pocket, and I think a tuckable is unlikely to actually conceal the gun over a day of benidng, lifting, moving, and so on.

I alternate between a Sidearmor IWB with belt loops, 15 degree cant, arrived at after much experimentation, and a Don Hume clip on if I'm going to be taking the holster on and off a lot. Sidearmor makes good quality j hooks for easy on and off, but I feel more secure with the clip, and I don't want to have to be changing the J hooks for the belt loops all the time. A vest from concealment clothiers can conceal the IWB when you don't want to wear a jacket.

I use an Alessi ankle holster, which is a very good holster, but you need big pants. A galco or renegade conceals better.

To be honest, it is very hard to carry a gun around people who know you eight hours a day without them knowing.
Old November 25, 2002, 11:48 PM   #14
jcoiii

JimV

I looked at the kramer web page, and just from reading the descriptions, the belowthewaistband model seems to be what i would probably want. by looking at the other models, they seem to still stick up out above the pants, and since i don't wear a jacket on a regular basis, i figured that those holsters would probably not do too good a job concealing the handle.

hk,
just by thinking about where i would like to carry as far as access goes, i think i agree with you for a strongside IWB. my step dad, who gave me the weapon as a graduation gift, also gave me his IWB holster, which is designed for small of the back, so i've played around putting it in different places and i think i like the strong-side as opposed to the cross draw.

so i guess i'm narrowing it down with everyone's help. thanks for the links and webpages. i'm also doing a word search here on TFL to examine the others mentioned. once again, thanks for everyone's input.

Old November 26, 2002, 12:15 PM   #15
Clemson

jcoiii, I dress about the way you do, and I have found that pocket carry with a lightweight, 5-shot revolver was my best option. In the winter, with a jacket or even a sweater vest on, I can use a belt holster and just about any gun. When I can't use the vest, jacket, etc., however, the pocket carry is what works for me. Dockers with a decent pocket holster and a Ti S&W make for an invisible package.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old November 27, 2002, 09:34 PM   #16
yotehunter

Although I personally do not like them alot of the people around here use fanny packs. They make them for CCW carry and some of them are well made. I just feel that everybody that sees someone wearing one knows whats in it, at least I do.
Old November 28, 2002, 10:23 AM   #17
WESHOOT2

CARRY vs WEAR

Learn to 'wear' your gun rather than 'carry', like you 'wear' a belt or watch.

Fanny pack with non-gun patches; pocket carry; lanyard around neck; ankle; IWB -- either side; think outside the 'box'.

First rule............