The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 25, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1
heatherhamblin

Can someone tell me what kind of gun this is

my papaw had it for at least 50 years if not more, he found it in an old barn. It is a .22, the only stamp, marking, numbers or anything to identify it is the letter A on the end of the chamber next to the barrel on the top. You squeeze the handle up and it makes the barrel slide forward to load it/cock it. It will stay forward and open until you pull the trigger then kicks the handle down and the barrel backwards to fire he bullet. To unload the empty shell you have to squeeze the handle back up to the barrel to open the chamber back up and pop the shell out with your finger. It is a little bit smaller than a normal sized .22 that sells today. I hope someone can tell me what this gun is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 423965_3184871736480_199891237_n.jpg (160.2 KB, 210 views)
Old February 26, 2012, 08:15 AM   #2
SDC

Can you take a picture of the "A" over the chamber? It sounds like it might be a Deutschewerke rifle, and their "D" logo does look something like an "A".
Old February 26, 2012, 09:53 AM   #3
gyvel

I did a Google search and found some pics of a Deutschwerke rifle.

While there are some superficial similarities, none of the rifles pictured had the articulated handle in front of the stock. It seems that the Deutschwerke has a pivoting breech that flips forward to load/eject, and there is a spring driven striker that (I assume) is pulled back to cock.

It's possible that you have another one of DW's products; It certainly is an oddball. If I understand your description, the rifle actually fires when you release the forward actuator handle???

The DW trademark, which does resemble an "A" is actually a reposing lion shaped to look like the letter "D".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deutschwerke rifle with action open..jpg (95.8 KB, 68 views)
Old February 26, 2012, 11:52 AM   #4
heatherhamblin

the "A" is so tiny that I can't get it to show up in a picture and I looked at the "D" of the one you thought it could be and the "A" on mine looks just like the letter "A" only it has the small lines under the sides of the "A"... the handle stays up and the barrel forward with the chamber open until you pull the trigger, once you pull the trigger it drops back down and lets the barrel kick back into place and shoots the bullet out, you don't have to hold the handle up it stays up on it's own until you fire.
Old March 1, 2012, 12:01 AM   #5
davery25

i really cant contribute much so i probably have no business being here but - that thing looks homemade. have you ever fired it?
Old March 1, 2012, 12:18 AM   #6
heatherhamblin

all the time, since my papaw found it 50+ years ago, I would say there have been 1000s of .22s go through it
Old March 1, 2012, 06:31 AM   #7
SDC

Have you ever taken it out of the stock? If this was made in Europe, it'll have a series of proofmarks somewhere on the receiver or barrel, and that'll be a clue as to where to start looking, at least.
Old March 1, 2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've seen a rifle like that, years ago, at a gunshow, but I'll be darned if I can remember anything about it.

I don't think it's homemade, I think it qualifies as a "boy's rifle," an inexpensive rifle with the youth market in mind.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 1, 2012, 08:48 AM   #9
Willie Sutton

The system of operation looks identical to the Phillipine Paliuntod improvised guns that found some small amount of 'factory' production post WW-II. I'd google that a bit.

Willie