The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2009, 11:18 AM   #1
panhead

Hornady

I just picked up a set of Hornady .40S&W dies and don't know how to set up the seater/crimper die. Can any one help me out here? I bought them on Ebay with no directions and all I have are RC BS dies...Thanks
Old April 27, 2009, 11:47 AM   #2
bozhoz

May or may not work for you, but here is how I adjust my 9mm Hornady dies... I think the theory behind it should be the same.

I put my die in, and back out the bullet seat adjustment (top knob) and crimp adjustment (second bottom ring). I put a case in with a bullet and pull the press to start to seat the bullet. Adjust your bullet seat adjustment until you get the proper depth. At this point, your crimp ring should still be out a good ways and you should not feel any resistance at top of the stroke (other than the resistance of the bullet being seated).

Now, back your bullet seating depth adjustment out several turns. Take the just loaded case to the top of the stroke and leave it there.. tighten your crimp adjustment ring until you just start to feel resistance on the top of the case. Back out your press stroke to the bottom. Adjust your crimp ring in very small increments (1/16th turn) and raise the press back. Repeat until you achieve the proper crimp you desire. Check your OAL to ensure the bullet did not seat any deeper and you are still where you want to be.

Now, finally, once your crimp is adjusted how you want it, raise the press to the top of the stroke again with your loaded cartridge and adjust your bullet seating adjustment knob (top knob) until you just feel resistance on your bullet. You are now set to seat and crimp in one operation. Check your next few shells OAL to ensure it is where you want it and make minor bullet seating adjustments if necessary.
Old April 27, 2009, 01:35 PM   #3
panhead

Hornady die

Boz I thank you for your help...But I think I may have been ripped. Let me describe this die to you and you tell me if it sounds correct...The main body of the die threaded for 7/8 14 has a crimper held loosely with a clip at the business end with everything else removed, Next the bullet seater slides in from the top, Then a kind of anvil like piece slides in on top of that, Followed by the threaded & knurled top piece which has a 1/8" in diameter hole in it but the hole is not threaded. Does that sound correct or did I get screwed?
Old April 27, 2009, 02:25 PM   #4
bozhoz

Based on what you are telling me, it sounds right. Here's a link to the directions on the website... they have a good blow-up of the dies to ensure you have all the parts. I think the "anvil" part you are talking about is the locking ring. You've got the knurled knob on top (bullet seating adjustment) and the second knurled portion which is the main body of the die.. by adjusting this in or out of the press, you adjust the crimp. One other note, if these are the dimension dies, they do not require lube.

http://www.hornady.com/media/new_dim...stom_grade.pdf
Old April 27, 2009, 05:01 PM   #5
panhead

Thanks, You have been very helpfull. It looks like it's all there, I'm just used to RCBS dies. Thank you again Boz.
Old April 27, 2009, 05:17 PM   #6
DEDON45

You may find yourself needing the separate .40 taper crimp die (that's 4 dies total; it is normally sold separately --dunno why-- from the 3 die set); at least in the .45ACP Hdy Die set, the bullet seater/crimp die has a roll crimp, which is not what is needed with a cartridge that headspaces on the mouth... I believe the same is true in the .40SW die set from hornady as well.