The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2002, 09:43 PM   #1
Greg Bell

Cost to reload 1000 rounds of 357 SIG??

I'm getting a 550B for the express purpose of reloading 357 SIG. What is the cost of loading 1000 rounds of 357 SIG? I'm talking about good practice rounds, not junk or sniper handloads. What are your formulas (broken down by component cost if possible) for economical loading?

GHB
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old September 7, 2002, 08:11 PM   #2
Greg Bell

btt
Old September 7, 2002, 08:18 PM   #3
dsteinman

Approx cost per thousand :

Bullets $40
Powder $20
Primers $20
Experience priceless
Old September 7, 2002, 08:53 PM   #4
Long Path

I was figuring it to be the shy side of $100, depending on your availability of existing cases and your bullet choice. Depends if you want standard FMJ or if the more economical TMJ plated is okay.
Old September 8, 2002, 06:25 AM   #5
Swamp Yankee

Assuming you already have the brass.
Checked the last batch of components I bought and here's what target / practice ammo cost me.

Bullets 124 gr PFP .048
Powder (PowerPistol) .023
Primer .017
Total .088 each

Bullets are typically West Coast or Rainier. All items were purchased from a local shop. Mail order on tips is cheaper, but the shop wil stock just about anything you want, so I pay a little more to support him.
Take Care
Old September 8, 2002, 06:50 AM   #6

Not to be rude, but this stuff is easy to figure out and will be more accurate if you do it yourself. The reason being, we don't know what you are going to want to load. We don't know what quantities you are going to buy in etc. By exploring the catalogs and websites, you can come up with an estimate of what YOU want to load. You can pick out what bullet looks good to you. If you have saved brass from factory ammo, then you don't have to consider that etc. Just look at the websites owned by the powder companies; Hodgdon, Alliant etc. You can find the loading data there. You can look at websites like www.midwayusa.com or huntingtons or Graff and Sons. They sell everything you need to reload. Again, you pick the stuff you want to use and total it up. If you are unsure what bullet/powder/primer to use, do a search on here to see what some faviorite loads are. Again, the powder websites will be another source for that info.

By the way, there are 7000 grains of powder to the pound.

Not trying to be a smart a** just trying to get you the most accurate info possible.

If you are trying to save money, just like everything else, you need to buy in quantity. This takes more of an outlay of cash, but in the end saves you money. Also, when you need ammo or just want to relaod for something to do, you have the components there to do it. I actually see guys buying 100 primers at a time. I don't get that.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old September 8, 2002, 01:54 PM   #7
Greg Bell

Not trying to be a smart a** just trying to get you the most accurate info possible.

Nope, this is the type of info I am looking for. Figured I would ask the guys that know before I go around mixing and matching stuff without the benefit of experience.

GHB
Old September 9, 2002, 12:50 AM   #8

Well, I didn't want to sound like I was putting you off, but without a lot more details it would be hard to estimate. You know all the details, not to mention the fact that shoppng for reloading stuff to me is a lot of fun. So.............you can check out all the bullets available, the powders, different brands of brass etc. Decide what you are going to do with the load and buy accordingly. Buy a couple good reloading manuals and read them from cover to cover. Another good source of info is to call the bullet and powder manufacturers and talk to them. They have always been very helpful to me and right on the money with their advice.
Old September 9, 2002, 04:03 PM   #9
kidcoltoutlaw

once fired brass

speer is about 30 a 1000 counting shipping