The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 16, 2015, 09:09 AM   #51
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ettin
These kinds of cases almost always settle, unless one party, or both, are being pigheaded.

It would most likely cost the gun store/its insurer upwards of $100,000 in legal fees to take this through a jury trial. It is a near certainty that the gun store will be found liable. The "wild cards" are the monetary value the jury puts on the plaintiff's injuries and the discount for the plaintiff's comparative fault. And it's real hard to predict either number.

The disposition of this lawsuit is as much an exercise in applied economics as anything else.
I'm going to take this that one extra step that Frank didn't. If the gun store or its insurer figures that it will take $100K+ to defend the case, it makes simple economic sense to settle if: (1) the cop will take something less than $100K to settle; and (2) there's no admission of liability or wrongdoing in the settlement agreement.

Lots of folks like to say that they'll "take it to the Supreme Court," because "it's the principle of the thing." In litigation, principles are expensive.
Old January 16, 2015, 09:22 AM   #52
JimPage

This hard to believe. Long time ago (about 60 yrs) I was in a gunstore/gunsmith shop when a police officer came in with a cocked revolver, and asked the gunsmith to uncock it for him. He (the officer) didn't know how.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Last edited by JimPage; January 16, 2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old January 16, 2015, 05:42 PM   #53
KyJim

Quote:
This hard to believe. Long time ago (about 60 yrs) I was in a gunstore/gunsmith shop when a police officer came in with a cocked revolver, and asked the gunsmith to uncock it for him. He (the officer) didn't know how.
I would have thought that more likely today than 60 years ago.
Old January 16, 2015, 05:52 PM   #54
sirgilligan

I am from Glasgow, well, 7 miles out side of it between Glasgow and Edmonton. My cousins are the Kentucky Headhunters and Blackstone Cherry.

The idea that in Glasgow they have a lower exposure to handguns seems a reach.

There is an old saying, "Accidents happen when two idiots meet."
Old January 16, 2015, 09:56 PM   #55
bamaranger

loaded

Yeah, believe me, I get it. Certainly, ALL guns are loaded. Understood.

Simply thought I had read somewhere that there was in fact jargon concerning "half" loaded v. fully loaded. Seems like I'm just confusing the post.

Sorry
Old January 16, 2015, 11:55 PM   #56
Jim Watson

"Half loaded" was Jeff Cooper's term for an auto with magazine loaded and chamber empty.

Not a widely used phrase. "Condition 3", also a Cooperism, is better known.

Both are shottist (Cooper spelling) jargon with no legal significance. A loaded magazine equals a loaded gun, chamber status notwithstanding.

(Maybe if the chamber is also loaded it becomes "Fully Loaded" as we see in news reports. Or that is just what they teach in journalism school.)