The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2001, 12:42 PM   #1
tstr

Anyone have a suggestion for the most accurate .44 mag load, target at 100 yards? I'm shooting a Ruger Redhawk.
Old January 27, 2001, 06:53 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

W296, Starline case, CCI350 (or Magnum primer of your choice), Hornady 300g XTP, finish using the superior Redding Profile Crimp die.
Old January 27, 2001, 08:37 PM   #3
tstr

I'll try it.

But I'm unfamiliar with Redding Profile Crimp die. How is it different from a regular crimp die?

Tstr
Old January 27, 2001, 08:43 PM   #4
KP95DAO

Accurate 44 Mag load.

The one that works in my 10&1/2 SBH is: Fed case, WLP primer, 24grs H110, 240gr Hornady HP XTP, seat and crimp in seperate steps. The same load in R-P cases gives groups twice the size, everything else being the same.
Old January 28, 2001, 12:46 AM   #5
Bottom Gun

I use a Bulletmeister 240 Gr SWC with 10.2 grains of Unique and a Winchester primer. The type of brass doesn't seem to matter in my gun.
If you use H110, be sure to use a firm crimp, otherwise you'll have problems. I explained the problem I had with H110 in post 55145 "Bullet Lodged in Barrel"
Old January 28, 2001, 08:42 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

The Redding Profile Crimp die has a gentle 'taper', and finishes with an extremely uniform and symmetrical 'roll'.

In back-to-back testing vs 'regular' crimps (Lyman, Dillon, Lee, and RCBS) the Redding die gives superior groups.
This testing has also been done by certain gun-writers, with identical results.

Worth it for ultimate accuracy.
Old January 28, 2001, 08:40 PM   #7
Steve in PA

Either Hornady 240 or 300 grain HP-XTP's....heavy (near max) loads of H-110....Rem cases....CCI mag primers...decent crimp.....never had a problem with any of these loads. Shot out of a Super Redhawk....9 1/2" with a Bushnell variable scope.
Old January 29, 2001, 01:22 AM   #8
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

KP95DAO wrote:
The one that works in my 10&1/2 SBH is: Fed case, WLP primer, 24grs H110, 240gr Hornady HP XTP, seat and crimp in seperate steps. The same load in R-P cases gives groups twice the size, everything else being the same.

KP--
Most interesting--I've always had good luck with R-P cases. Might you have mixed old and new R-P cases, and used new or once-fired Fed cases, all from the same lot?
You are very specific about the loads and testing them, which indicates to me that you pay a lot of attention to detail. Did you match the cases by weight?

Also: Have you evaluated Star Line cases?

Also: This load of H110 is quite strong. Have you experimented for extreme accuracy loads with somewhat lighter loads? I ask because, currently my only .44 mag is a Ruger Super Blackhawk, and the small trigger guard hurts my arthritic first knuckle on my trigger finger. Literally brings tears to my eyes when shooting heavy loads. If I was a dedicated shooter of heavy mag loads, I guess I'd have to buy a Redhawk, huh?

Best,
Johnny
MOLON LABE
Old January 30, 2001, 12:54 AM   #9
zot

I use Speer's loading data, 240 gr, swc lead 6 grains Winchester 231, its not magnum, but its real accurate at 100
yards,very light recoil,

Old June 5, 2001, 05:29 PM   #10
kidcoltoutlaw

win. cases and cci mag pr with win. 296 the seria accuracy load works but there is a load that works a heck of a lot better but its over the new book standard.with a 240 jsp or a jhp.crimp and seat with different dies.
Old June 6, 2001, 12:20 PM   #11
Unkel Gilbey

This towards Johnny...

About your SBH. I, too, have had problems with that trigger guard coming back and kissing my knuckles. First time I ever shot one, I had blood on my hands from where there was contact made.

Switching to some Pachmyer grips helped some, but I really disliked the way the rubber seemed to imprint my hands with it's reek.

But recently, I've seen advertised in Brownell's either a Steel or Brass grip frame that is in the BlackHawk style, ie: Rounded trigger guard. These are a direct swap onto your frame - although some fitting is required. I've taken a fancy to that Brass frame, and am saving my pennies to the day that I will get one.

Anyway's, these go a long way towards taming the way this pistol bucks in your hand. Another thing, if you can locate a Bisley style grip frame, it's said that this is even more recoil friendly - although I personally haven't seen this for myself.

If you can wrap your hands around a Bisley style pistol and touch it off a few times, you might see that there is an improvement. Then modify yours to suit. Then, touching off the monster would be a lot more enjoyable - and that's all we're after in the end, isn't it? Good Luck!

On the subject of accurate loads... I'll have to dig up the particulars, but my Brother used to swear by a 44 Spl load that used the lead Hornady 240 gn HP bullets with the knurling on the sides. This, STD CCI primers and Unique powder (I'll have to dig up the actual load) were the recipe for many ragged one hole groups shot at about 30 yards Bullseye style. That's one handed and 5 shots if you're wondering - and yes, Brother Tim was a damned good shot! As soon as I can get the actual load weight, I'll pass it along.

Unkel Gilbey

Old June 9, 2001, 10:34 PM   #12
bdhawk

9.6 grs. unique 250 grs. cast keith type bullet. great on the 100 yard ram sillouttes
Old June 10, 2001, 12:51 PM   #13
kidcoltoutlaw

WESHOOT2 Redding Profile Crimp die

is it better than the lee factory crimp die just wondering because i think if it is i would not be able to hold it good enough to tell the difference.for me i shoot from the seated position with redhawk between my knees seated braced i think its called.for me its better than sand bagged.but still i can see the crosshairs or the brass bead move.i just have good timming to get groups that run under 2 inches at 50 yards for 12 shots and under an inch for 3 shots.