The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 18, 2014, 01:13 PM   #26
maillemaker

Something to consider with homemade powder then.

Steve
Old March 18, 2014, 04:32 PM   #27
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Static ignition of homemade. That would be an excellent question posed to either Hawg Haggen Pahoo or Captchee. And perhaps a few of those other OLD guys well versed in such matters.
Old March 18, 2014, 10:18 PM   #28
B.L.E.

The "g" in FFg and FFFg stands for glazed. Unglazed powders are just FF or FFF.
Glazed powders are graphite coated.

I have read accounts of the commercial manufacture of black powder. They compress the slightly damp powder into dense bricks using tons of pressure. The bricks are then broken up with a burr grinder and the pieces are screened into different powder granulation sizes by being sifted through sizing screens.
Most of this is done in unmanned buildings using machines that are operated by remote control.
Old March 18, 2014, 10:29 PM   #29
maillemaker

Quote:
Wow, I never knew that!

Steve
Old March 20, 2014, 08:39 AM   #30
noelf2

Quote:
Not just graphite coated. The grains are tumbled with it to round the edges. This helps the grains look pretty and pour more easily.
Old March 26, 2014, 10:25 AM   #31
51colt

I am retired and have plenty of spare time. Every month i pick up lead people save for me wheel weights and dental film lead. For wads i buy old wool cowboy hats at the flea market for a few dollars and punch my own with a cheap harbor fright punch set. I lube them with my wife's olive oil. I just started making my own powder. It is not only a lot cheaper i really like it. I am still buying caps but i got my tap a cap out and i am working with them. I am very close to having a good home made caps. After you make black powder you test it by making line and lighting it. My home made powder does not light any easier than kick powder. One nice thing about making powder i don't have buy large amounts to get a good price and then have to store it. I can just make it as i need it.
Old March 27, 2014, 07:58 PM   #32
bedbugbilly

Modernhiogleg . . . . "sugar is sugar"

Geeze . . . the next thing you know, you guys will be hoarding sugar to make your homemade BP . . . which will cause a shortage and put a crimp in making the "corn squeezings" . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 27, 2014, 08:34 PM   #33
B.L.E.

Saying "sugar is sugar" is a little like saying "alcohol is alcohol".
Lactose, dextrose, maltose, sucrose, fructose, glucose....
Old March 27, 2014, 09:51 PM   #34
51colt

No worries i don't use sugar to make black powder. Black willow charcoal, sulfur and stump remover.
Old March 27, 2014, 10:52 PM   #35
B.L.E.

I have heard that some of the commercial black powder substitutes are sugar based, though what exactly is in Shocky's Gold, 777, etc is propriety information.
I'm not sure if I want anything like iron rust as an oxidizer in my gun barrel. Look up thermite on u-tube. (mixture of powdered aluminum and iron rust).
Old March 28, 2014, 01:04 AM   #36
51colt

I need to buy some 777 to play with it. From what i have heard you don't need lube with sugar based powders.
Old March 28, 2014, 12:54 PM   #37
Stormson

Quote:
I'm not sure if I want anything like iron rust as an oxidizer in my gun barrel. Look up thermite on u-tube. (mixture of powdered aluminum and iron rust).
I wouldnt want thermite in the same COUNTY as my gun, much less IN it!
Old March 31, 2014, 11:41 AM   #38
DD4lifeusmc

re shooting not cheap anymore

I realize this may not be the right spot so forgive me.
But I want to help keep this sport as reasonably priced as possibly.
I have access to some wholesale accounts.
I can not always beat the big boy prices, and sometimes shipping does raise prices higher than your local stores.
I am just one small person so I do get behind.
But when you need something, please just PM me.
I will see if I can help you out.
I have or have access to most every accessory you might need and am now starting to stock a few internal pieces for pietta / traditions. cva revolvers
I don't have deep pockets so can't stock every thing.
I try to ship within 24 hr and use USPS flat rate almost exclusively as it is insured and tracked. Most times if a a package is over 4 oz the flat rate might be cheaper.
No haz mat stuff don't have time.
I will be returning to work this summer as it appears, about a 100 mile from home, so ordering and shipping may be slowed somewhat.
Thanks for your patience and understanding (about this post) and for past orders.