The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Oregonhunter5

eBay

.223 fl standard die set on eBay..... $90.00!!!!
Nuts
Old January 17, 2013, 10:10 PM   #2
lee n. field

Did anyone bid on it?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 17, 2013, 10:37 PM   #3
Oregonhunter5

Not that one. But I believe they did on others.
It's totally nuts.
You can find the rcbs stuff all over for 32.00
Old January 18, 2013, 12:04 AM   #4
dewcrew8

Yep all week long there spending 2 to 3 times the price for the dies! Same with .22 conversion kits.

Last edited by dewcrew8; January 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:03 AM   #5
Sevens

Reloading tools on Ebay are a little bit different. Obviously, we've got the govt induced panic right now and it'll affect...well, everything. However, long before any panic, Ebay has always been a really strange market for handloading tools and we've figured out that it's simply because a lot of the "crazy high" bidders are folks from OUTSIDE the USA that cannot get those tools. They can't get a retailer or e-tailer to ship to their country and/or they can't get the same products imported legally as new, but they can sidestep the rules (or just fly under the radar?) buy purchasing used items from a place like Ebay.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:44 PM   #6
dickttx

I have never seen any reloading gear on e-bay or Amazon that was not higher, delivered, than any of the usual online like Midway, Natches, etc., even before this runup.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Roland Thunder

Ebay is a joke in my opinion. Most of the time when I see things for sale on Ebay, the price is higher than you can get it for in a store or from the manufacturer. This does not just apply to reloading gear either.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:00 AM   #8

To bash ebay as "being a joke" is vanilla at best. You dont have to "buy it now". Place your bid and go from there. My wife has been selling on ebay, and ive never paid more than a big box store or manufacturer etc. i buy 95% of everything on ebay. Been that way for 14yrs. They even have "make an offer" on items. But to each his own....
Old January 19, 2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Roland Thunder

Re:318

I did qualify my statement with "in my opinion"
Old January 19, 2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Xfire68

I have been in need of a Hornady shell plate (#8) for as long as I have owned the LNL Some (2+ years). I check on eBay and there are 2. One sold for $90 and the other for $123. I saw. 223 shell plates selling for $150!
Old January 19, 2013, 11:59 AM   #11
hunter52

I buy quite a bit of reloading stuff off Ebay. Some of what is sold just makes me shake my head , I watched one set of 223 Small base dies made in 1977 sell for $128.00 .
Old January 19, 2013, 12:02 PM   #12
dahermit

Quote:
To bash ebay as "being a joke" is vanilla at best. You dont have to "buy it now". Place your bid and go from there. My wife has been selling on ebay, and ive never paid more than a big box store or manufacturer etc. i buy 95% of everything on ebay. Been that way for 14yrs. They even have "make an offer" on items. But to each his own....
I usually find really good prices on Ebay...but NOT on gun related stuff...usually. I recently purchased a new Sam Browne belt for $20.00 plus shipping. When it arrived I was surprised to find a well-known brand name belt of excellent quality. I could have paid over $80.00 for the same thing elsewhere. Bullet molds however...
Old January 19, 2013, 01:17 PM   #13
mikld

If you know what you're looking for, ebay can be a good source for anything. I've been reloading for quite a while and have a good idea what a tool/item is worth and if the asking price/bid is OK, I'll bid on it. Sometimes though, an item may not be available from a regular vendor which will drive up the ebay prices. Just know what you're looking at and bid appropriately. If someone wants the item bad enough, they will pay more for it. Simple...
Old January 19, 2013, 01:30 PM   #14
4runnerman

I buy and sell on e-bay. Never been a issue. You always find someone to buy your stuff and - as stated,,Make you bid and see what happens. I have never paid ever store cost for anything i have got. It's almost like craigs list. Offer it and it sells.
Old January 19, 2013, 04:25 PM   #15

Exactly. Nuff said pour moi.