The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: What To Add To HD Gun?
XS Big Dot Sights 2 8.00%
Trijicon HD Sights 14 56.00%
TLR-1 Strobe 7 28.00%
TLR-4 w/ Laser 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 30, 2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Sheep Doggy Dogg

What To Add To HD Gun: Tac Light or Nightsights?

I'm looking to make an addition to my HD gun and while I'd like to add all of the Tacti-Cool goodies, I'm baby broke. Hence, I'm limited to one choice between a tatical light and night sights.

Here's where I'm at in my thought process:

Night Sights (XS Big Dots or Trijicon HD's) are good for providing a visible sight picture in low light.

Tactical Light (TLR-1S or TLR-4 w/laser) would be good for overall visibility possibly allowing me to see standard sights as well as disorienting a would be intruder.

Help me out here guys.

P.S. It's going on a G17, that's why I posted in Semi-Auto Forum.

Last edited by Sheep Doggy Dogg; September 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old September 30, 2012, 10:40 PM   #2
AKsRul.e

night sights are useless in daytime or in TOTAL Darkness.

A dedicated gunmounted light is overkill unless your dayjob
is LEO.

Get a good handheld light ( surefire or streamlight )
They have models for $50-60
Old September 30, 2012, 10:44 PM   #3
TheNocturnus

Buy more ammo. You don't need all that junk for your gun.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old September 30, 2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

I agree. You should know where your gun shoots without all the gagetry.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:08 PM   #5
ChaseReynolds

I have the TLR 1-S and I love it. I don't use it everyday but I am glad that I have it. It doesn't increase the weight by much and it is easy to operate with just one hand so I can call 911 if I need to or whatever the case may be.

The only thing I have had be an issue is finding a holster that will hold the weapon light combo. Kydex is the way to go but trying to find out what is the best and all that.

Hope this helps.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:18 PM   #6
LockedBreech

I keep a Streamlight TLR-1S attached to my nightstand Beretta PX4 .40. I understand and have considered the arguments about giving away my position, and find them vastly outweighed by the avoidance of killing an innocent person by mistake.

One of the cardinal rules of gun safety is to know your target and what is behind it.

I have found the Streamlight to be a bright, tough, well-built light that is easy to use and priced right. Even if I was a millionaire and money wasn't an issue, there's a solid chance I'd choose the Streamlight TLR over the Surefire X300.
Old October 1, 2012, 04:55 AM   #7
plateshooter

I love the XS big dot sights on my fighting pistols. I have them on my M&P compact, and my Springfield XDm 4.5.

I use them in the action pistol shoots at my local club, and find them to be the best sight set up for defensive shooting for me. They do take some getting used to. You can see them in daylight or darkness, and I never have to hunt for the front sight.

I prefer a hand held light over a gun mounted light.

I took a night time fighting pistol class and found the hand held worked much better for me. I don't like to have to point my pistol at everything I choose to look at, and I have better control with a push button tail cap than manipulating the switches on the gun mounted lights that I have tried.

My personal experience, yours may vary.
Old October 1, 2012, 11:00 AM   #8
dayman

I'd get night sights before a light - they're extremely useful, and you don't have to take them off to fit your gun back into a normal holster. I prefer the traditional 3 dot sights to the big dot, so that's the way I voted.

Quote:
night sights are useless in daytime or in TOTAL Darkness.
That has not been the case with any of the night sights I've used.
During the day they are white, so they look/function like pretty much any other sights. At night they glow so that you can line your gun up. While it's true that they don't help you see your target in complete darkness, the same issue could be said of guns in general.

As far as the gun mounted light goes some people like them and some people don't. I don't think they work well as a replacement for a hand held light, but they can certainly be useful.
Old October 1, 2012, 11:10 AM   #9
loose_holster_dan

none are necessary. it's called a light switch.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old October 1, 2012, 11:20 AM   #10
2damnold4this

Quote:
I prefer a hand held light over a gun mounted light.

I think it's good to have a light we can shine at a potential threat without having to point a gun at it, so a handheld light is the first choice for me as well.
Old October 1, 2012, 11:21 AM   #11
RickB

I'd suggest a good, hand-held light, too (too, as in agreeing with those who think that's the best option). Night sights do no good without a white light to identify a target, and a gun-mounted light means you are covering with your gun, anything and everything that you illuminate.
I think night sights and weapons lights are for people who are hunting things to shoot, knowing that they'll be shooting what they find.
Old October 1, 2012, 11:31 AM   #12
Crow Hunter

I prefer a separate hand held light with a handgun.

Night sights are important if you want to be able to see your sights behind a flashlight.

If you "point shoot" to the accuracy level that you feel comfortable with and can guarantee that you will always be able to turn a light on no matter the situation, neither are important.

My brother had to draw a weapon on a guy in the dark once and didn't have night sights. He was VERY aware of the fact that he could not tell exactly what his gun was aimed at.

He went out and got night sights the next day.

While there are no guarantees in life, I prefer to stack the deck in my favor whenever possible.

Good luck.
Old October 1, 2012, 12:38 PM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
none are necessary. it's called a light switch.

LMAO! ^^^ Oh Dan...

Anyways...lol...

On my nightstand gun I have HD sights. When I was on watch I had a TLR-1 attached to my SIG P226 at all times.

Yes...I'm going to get my ass back in LE eventually.
Old October 1, 2012, 12:40 PM   #14
vba

Nothing! And I hate the new rail fad as well.
Old October 1, 2012, 12:49 PM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I think it's good to have a light we can shine at a potential threat without having to point a gun at it, so a handheld light is the first choice for me as well.

Maybe cause of police work..but, if you're drawing your gun to begin with..doesn't it make sense if it's out anyways? Otherwise, why even pull a gun or take it with you when you go searching?
Old October 1, 2012, 01:09 PM   #16
2damnold4this

The thing about the hand held light is we don't have to pull the gun out to use it. We can still have the gun with us holstered (or in hand) and the hand held flashlight still works. A handgun mounted light isn't without value but I would get a good hand held light first.
Old October 1, 2012, 01:42 PM   #17
dayman

Hand lights and gun lights don't have to be mutually exclusive.
I can see a gun light being very convenient in situations where you might need one of your hands to open a door, make a call, pick something up, etc.. Hand lights are pretty convenient for everything else - even outside of home/self defense.
Old October 1, 2012, 01:53 PM   #18
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I'm looking to make an addition to my HD gun and while I'd like to add all of the Tacti-Cool goodies, I'm baby broke. Hence, I'm limited to one choice between a tatical light and night sights.
If you can only have one--get a weapon light (I voted TLR 1s). Night sights do no good if you can't identify the threat. If you have non-illuminated sights and hit the switch on your TLR your sights are still usable because they'll be silhouetted.

The debate about weapon mounted vs handheld will continue to rage but you have to pick the one you're comfortable with. Weapon lights aren't lasers and to light up a doorway (for example) you don't need to point your gun at it. The TLR1 will illuminate the entire room as soon as you tap that switch.

FWIW--I have a handheld light next to my bed as well as handguns, a rifle, and a shotgun all with weapon mounted lights. I like options
Old October 1, 2012, 02:24 PM   #19
Dashunde

I have a TLR-1 on my Glock 21 nightstand pistol.
It shoots to the center of the bright spot, no laser or sights needed - very handy.

I also have a Surefire C3 too, but I find a gun in one hand and a light in the other just plain clumbsy compared to the G21/TLR package.

Last edited by Dashunde; October 1, 2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Its my 1000th post!
Old October 1, 2012, 05:32 PM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I have a TLR-1 on my Glock 21 nightstand pistol.
That was mine! same still minus the TLR-1... I'll get another

I have Trijicon HD's on it too
Old October 1, 2012, 05:46 PM   #21
Glockstar .40

both serve a purpose. i like my truglo nightsights cuz its easy to find my gun in the dark if i need too. but nightsights dont illuminate the target which is the big one for me. it makes no difference to me if i can see my sights but cant see what im shooting at...imo get the night sights that you want and buy a small flashlight. as mentioned above streamlight has some GREAT ones! if thats too much dough on your budget get a little mag light. good luck
Old October 1, 2012, 05:51 PM   #22
bamiller

I've never had to pull a handgun on or shoot anyone, thank God, but I have done testing/drills under night time conditions in my home. My findings:

1) Weapon light- Obviously lights up rooms very well. I would think it would do well in blinding an intruder as well.

2) Night sights- Does frame the target picture well if there is enough residual light in the room to see the target. If very little to no residual light in the room I can't see what my target is.

3) Crimson Trace laser- I have found this to work best in my home in my testing. The laser not only iluminates the roomenough to where I can see my target but also gives an instant target acquisition.