The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2000, 04:37 PM   #1
Redleg

My next firearm purchase will probably be a shotgun. I don't have an endless supply of cash (yet) so I need to get one that will meet several needs. I want the gun primarily for sport shooting, trap/clay etc., but would also like to keep it behind the bed for those bump in the night scenerios. I may, occasionally, pop a bird or too with it as well but I'm not a serious waterfowl guy or anything. I'm partial to pump actions just because they're fun to shoot but I'm not picky. Is there a single gun that fits the bill?
Old November 17, 2000, 06:00 PM   #2
Jeff, CA

870 combo. 28" vent rib barrel with choke tube and 20" smoothbore, improved cylinder choked barrel with rifle sights. MSRP $436, IIRC. I've got my newbie colleague at work looking at this right now. He only has to get permission from his wife (who happens to be pregnant with #3 - good luck ).

Old November 17, 2000, 07:36 PM   #3
Kingcreek

Jeff's choice of the 870 combo is exactly what I would recommend. I would add I have seen them advertised (esp this time of year) for considerably less than the msrp. I can't swear to it, but seems to me I saw this combo for $359. sale price just a couple weeks ago.
Happy shopping!
Old November 18, 2000, 10:09 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'll make it a straight flush, the 870 is a great tool.
Old November 18, 2000, 10:42 AM   #5
PJR

I'm going to break the string. I love my 870 and will never be without one but if you are interested in skeet and sporting I would go with a semi-auto. It is easier to learn the games without having to pump the action for doubles. A Remington semi with two barrels is a good choice.

If you don't care about pumping the gun between shots then I'm with the majority.
Old November 18, 2000, 08:28 PM   #6
Redleg

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went out and shot a 28" 870 today. I think that, paired with a 20" barrel would do the trick. Ironically, I also saw a Mossberg 500 Pursuader which really turned my head. It came with a pistol grip kit and shell carrier sling for $240. Caught my eye anyway.

Erick,
Let's not forget that FA is the "King of Battle"! I'd park an M109A6 Paladin Howitzer in my front yard if I could get my hands on one.

Old November 19, 2000, 07:37 AM   #7
old hawk

i got a rem 870 express mag in black matte finish and nylon stocked for 244$ at wally werld, with a slug barrel on the side its hard to beat for hd use and can be tricked out with all the goodies ya can imagine very cheaply, older ithaca m37's can be had for the same or less and i still love the feed from the bottom and shuck emptys from the bottom on them as well as that fast 2nd shot with the trench/riot/marching trigger they have.soon ill get the timney kit for my 870 so its just like that.oh yeah everything ya need to know on my 870 page here,ya get stuck email me ..
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2997/870.html