The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 20, 2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Sturmgewehre

Affordable Red Dot Sight: Vortex StrikeFire

If you're looking for a red dot sight that's similar is size and configuration as the Aimpoint Comp M2/3 but don't want to spend $400+, you might want to consider the Vortex StrikeFire RDS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDp-EvgnC94

I've been using a couple of different Vortex products over the course of the last year and have found them to be exceptional values.
Old May 20, 2011, 05:39 PM   #2
snipecatcher

I've got one on my competition AR and it works great. Haven't had a problem with it yet. The only thing I would change is the on/off switch. Seems like every time I take the rifle out of the case, the unit is 'on'. It gets switched on when it bumps into something. Still have not needed to replace the batteries in the almost 2 years of use.
-Dan
Old May 22, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Mannlicher

I have been running a Strikefire on my Mini 14 for over a year now. The performance is everything you could want.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 22, 2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Willie D

Another good video!

Sturmgewehr:

Which do you prefer: the Sparc or the Strikefire? Why? Are there certain applications that would be better suited by one over the other?
Old May 22, 2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Sturmgewehre

WillieD,

I probably like the SPARC more only because it's smaller, lighter and easier to wield on a weapon intended for CQB. The StrikeFire would be better suited to using a 3x magnifier, IMHO. So if you intend to use a magnifier, you may consider the StrikeFire over the SPARC.

I like the cost of the StrikeFire too. It's tough to beat at $135 (using the MAC promotion code in the video). Also, there a quite a few mounting options for the StrikeFire because it shares the same tube diameter as the Aimpoints.
Old May 22, 2011, 04:45 PM   #6
ZEBRARANGER

I've had the Strikefire on my CX4 .40 for about a year now and it has worked out well with no issues. I changed out the AR rings to the lower profile rings so that it now will cowitness with the iron sites.
Old May 22, 2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Ronbo1

Ditto on the switch, always on when in a case if moved at all.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves

Abraham Lincoln