The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 8, 2005, 01:16 PM   #1
dwatep

Winchester Model 1903 22 cal. take down

Does anyone know where I can find info on the Winchester Model 03 22 cal semi auto rifle

I inherited this from my grandfather and want to shoot it. Found ammo but I need to take it apart and clean and inspect before I fire. Don't want stuff to blow.

Thanks
Old October 8, 2005, 05:33 PM   #2
BK-TX-XIII

The 1903 is assembled pretty much like the model 63. The "Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part III: Rimfire Rifles" contains the instructions. Also, you can download an owner's manual for the model 63 at http://www.again.net/~steve/page7b.htm (and a whole lot of other models).
I have a second-year 63 that's a real shooter, super accurate, S/N 35xx, with a 20-inch barrel; the shorter barrel makes it a jewel to carry. Wish I had a 1903. Lucky you. - BK

Last edited by BK-TX-XIII; October 8, 2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old October 14, 2005, 07:43 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know how many times this question has been posted, but I will repeat my previous warning that the Winchester model 1903 was made for a special cartridge called the .22 Winchester Auto, which is long obsolete. Firing .22 Long Rifle in it may cause split cases and/or damage to the rifle.

That is why when Winchester came out with an autoloader in .22 LR, they gave it a new model number, 63.

Jim