The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 5, 1999, 10:05 PM   #1
BOB89
Retired Screen Name

I have never owned or even shot a shotgun before and was never really interested in one until the other day I saw a Benelli Super 90 M1 and the local gunstore I and decided right there that I want one. The only problem is that I know nothing about shotguns. Could anyone help me with what different shots are ( buck shot, bird shot) and what slugs are. I thought I read somewhere that you needed a special barrel to shoot slugs is this true can the same shotgun shoot slugs and normal? Any info would be helpful or maybe a link to a website that has this info. Also what can I expect as far as recoil with a Benelli Super 90 M1 I only have an AR-15 and a ruger 10/22 (both super low recoil weapons) so any comparison to the ar-15 would be helpful.
Old March 6, 1999, 09:50 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

In many people's (mine included) opinion, Benelli is the best shotgun made for competition, combat and defensive purposes. It even excels at trap (or was it skeet Rob?). You should be aware that the shotgun will have much more recoil than either of the weapons you've mentioned above.
Shot is basically small pellets that are carefully packed into a single shotshell. Sizing ranges from extremely small (9 - dia.=0.08 with 409pellets/ounce) up to various sizes of buckshot (0, 00, 000 dia.=0.32,0.33,0.36 with 140,0115, 98 pellets/pound respectfully). The quarry usually is the deciding factor in determining what loading the shooter will be using.
Slugs are a single large projectile that is loaded into the shotshell as opposed to shot (the pellets). This makes the shotgun more characteristic of a rifle in that a single projectile leaves the barrel after each pull of the trigger.
The reasoning of shooting slugs with a special barrel had to do quite a bit with chokes. Chokes are constrictions built into the barrel near the muzzle that would help direct the shot pattern into the desired concentric sizing. A tighter choke (full, etc) would result in a smaller pattern, i.e. the shot would stay closer together after leaving the barrel. Conversely, a looser or more open, choke (improved cylinder, etc) would allow the pattern to more fully open up . This would allow the shooter more lattitude in pointing (sort of like aiming) thus directing where they wanted the shot to go. Slugs could not get by some of these constrictions and would sometimes destroy the barrel, etc. With most shotgun barrels coming out nowadays there are screw-in chokes fitted to the muzzle ends of barrels instead of being permanently formed within the barrel itself. Thus the shooter need simply only to change the choke insert to be able to shoot slugs instead of buying another barrel.
Can't think of any shotgun web sites offhand that would have the info you're looking for but several books have info on the sizing of shot and it's intended uses. Cartridges of the World has shot size info. Will look and see if I can find a website for you.
Hopefully someone else will add to the many things I've skipped over.
Old March 6, 1999, 01:20 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

fal has done a good job of giving you the basics. He knows my affinity for the Benelli M1. I use it for "tactical scenarios", trap, skeet, duck hunting, sporting clays and just about everything else. I migth take it turkey huinting in a couple weeks, too. I've even cleaned it a few times.
Old March 7, 1999, 12:02 PM   #4
olegunftr

I use any excuse to own more guns. prefer Benelli, Remington and Mossburg. They all have something to offer at different prices. hard to beat the basic Rem 870 or Mossburg 500 for starters though.

------------------
Vinny
Old March 7, 1999, 10:50 PM   #5
Jeff Thomas

BOB89, check out this Federal Cartridge Company ammunition web site for some info regarding different shot sizes, slugs, etc.:
http://www.federalcartridge.com/andex3.html .

If you let us know the uses you would expect for your shotgun, TFL members could probably give you further sources and info. Good luck.
Old March 8, 1999, 04:52 AM   #6
BOB89
Retired Screen Name

Well in reality it would probably be used to kill lots of cans but I would like it for home defense and maybe a little hunting if I can ever move out of Los Angeles.