The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 20, 2002, 01:37 PM   #1
MR.G

HD Shotgun Question

I have a Mossberg 500, eight shot with 20" barrel, which I purchased for home defense. I have a full stock and a pistol grip for it. Currently, the full stock is on it. I do a lot of shooting, but my experience has been only with handguns. I have two questions. Which load is best for home defense, the 2-3/4" tactical 00buck with 9 pellets or the standard 2-3/4" 00 BUCK with 12 pellets? And, do I really need to practice with this gun before relying on it for HD ?
It is a problem finding a place to shoot a shotgun around here.
Old May 20, 2002, 01:48 PM   #2
Ewok_Guy

Of course you should practice with your HD shottie and get to know it well. Either loading would work fine, pick the one you shoot the best.

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Old May 20, 2002, 02:50 PM   #3
hitnthexring

Mr. G, ANY 00 buck load is great for the house. Just don't listen to people who recommend birdshot. It spreads out too much beyond 30 feet to be effective.
Old May 20, 2002, 04:50 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

We've kicked this subject around bunches.... *bunches*!!

If I were you, I'd organize my beverage of choice and use the search key in the upper right hhand corner. Be prepared to spend a evening or two reading.

FWIW, determine what your avenues of approach are and what's on the other side. In my case, I do use #2 bird shot for the first load - in one SG. I have neighbors in a 270 degree fan from the house and masonite walls. Buck shot will tear right through the walls and pose a threat down range. The other SG is loaded with #4 buck, there is one exterior wall, a brick fireplace and another exterior wall between me and the neighbor. Out the back, anything goes.

Study your situation and plan accordingly.

Giz
Old May 20, 2002, 05:41 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A shotgun is a terrific weapon in TRAINED hands. IOW, you HAVE to practice with the thing. Luckily, it's lots of fun.

The discipline is less important than usage. Shoot Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, hand thrown clays or landfill rats. Buy ammo, use up, repeat.

I'd pattern those two loads and go with the tightest. Pattern at the longest distance in your domicile and add a yard for GPs.

Darn near everywhere has a trap or skeet range nearby, or enough open spaces one can throw some clays or bust some beer cans(Remove all thrash please).

As our estemmed moderator recommends, use the search function.

And Xring, my 10 yard pattern with a trap load of 8s from a chokeless 870 is about 6-10". Are you willing to stand 31 feet from same?
Old May 21, 2002, 12:56 PM   #6
ENC

You might as well blow up that pistol grip as well.

Whatever you do don't let Dave catch you using it he might embarass you.
Old May 21, 2002, 01:07 PM   #7
KSFreeman

Measure the likely distances in your domicile. Go shoot those distances with the load you desire. The shotgun does not have the "boulder of death" effect that the movies and gunshop commandos describe. Rememeber, each gun and load is different. Go find out yourself.

Shoot your house. Go shoot the materials that constitute your house to check on backstop. Remember Rule #4!

Go to school. Possession is not competence. We all babble on about the magic sword on Gun Praise, but few talk about their training. Go to school--knowledge is power. Then, as Dave sez, practice. Luckily this is the fun part--"Honey, I have to go shooting because some guy on the Internet told me."