The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 14, 2015, 05:07 PM   #1
mxsailor803

1911 build

Alright guys, I've decided to take on a 1911 build. I've dealt quite a bit with factory 1911's just never a custom build one. I'm planning on starting with a Palmetto State Armory slide and frame. What I'm wondering does anyone out there sell a "kit" with all the smalls together? Kinda like a one p/n order for a major build up. I've seen different action enhancement kits, pin kits, spring kits, and such. My main reasoning was for when its ready to work on, there won't be a "oops i forgot to order this". Oh, and some people may say just buy a built already, well, this is for my wife and she would appreciate the extra effort of doing it myself a lot more.
Old June 14, 2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Take a look on Sarco, if you're looking for military grade/surplus parts kits, and maybe Numrich. If you want precision parts, you'll most likely have to buy some of that separately.
Old June 14, 2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Roughedge

Your best bet would be to go to Brownells and get the good parts, you will be happier in the end. If you're going to the trouble of building one it might as well be a accurate one.
Old June 14, 2015, 07:20 PM   #4
HiBC

Just one opinion,first investment would be a Kunehausen manual.
For myself,the next investment is a Cylinder and Slide hammer/sear/disconnect kit of your choice.I go with the ones in the 4.5 lb trigger zone.I put them in and they are fine without modification in my experience.
There are a number of good barrels.So far,I like Ed Brown.
IMO,if you look at the stresses on the link and the slide stop,I choose premium parts.I prefer a forged slide stop.
Be advised it is not unusual to find a poorly staked plunger tube.You may want to look very close at this when you get your frame.
If there is anything that looks unreliable,you may need the staking tool.Get the pin that supports the ID of the plunger tube.I'd order a spare plunger tube if I had to do the job to avoid delays if something goes wrong (tube crush)
Choose your trigger and grip safety style with care.Once you get all these parts working in balance as a team....making changes can be a pain.
There is a balance of spring tensions to achieve with the sear spring.Having a spare is good.

Last edited by HiBC; June 14, 2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old June 14, 2015, 08:13 PM   #5
mxsailor803

HiBC - I saw the Cylinder and Slide enhancement kit was wondering how well they worked. Luckily I've got time to build this. I'm doing as a graduation gift since my wife has spent the last 5 years working towards her masters in dental hygene. As far as barrels, I was looking at several with the movable barrel link and some with the fixed hole. What are the advantages to each? I've only dealt with the moveable versions and never given it any real thought about the fixed one.
Old June 14, 2015, 08:34 PM   #6
Hunter Customs

I've whipped out a few 1911s in my day, HiBC gave you some very good advice.

Use all top shelf parts to build your gun, you will be much happier in the long run.

If you want cheap parts to practice on find some factory take off parts that some may have from their custom build.
Old June 16, 2015, 10:16 AM   #7
g.willikers

Before investing all that time and money, make doubly sure the frame and slide are as they should be.
Just a pin hole drilled wrong can really mess things up.
Maybe downloading a blueprint of the 1911 would help make sure things are as they should be before starting.
Just a thought.
Old June 16, 2015, 11:58 AM   #8
dahermit

Consider this: There are subtleties involved in getting a 1911 created from a collection of separate parts to work. If you happen to find that the gun has functioning problems after it is assembled, you will have no recourse as to any manufacturer whereas, if you purchase a brand name gun and it proves to be problematic, you can always go back to the manufacturer for warranty work. Nevertheless, if you are hot to construct one and it is not critical that it works, by all means go for it and enjoy yourself.
Old June 16, 2015, 12:07 PM   #9
CowTowner

Or purchase a kit which can include manufacturer support.
Not a whole lot of savings, but.........

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/handguns/kits
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old June 17, 2015, 11:24 AM   #10
g.willikers

Without intending to discourage you, there's two types of firearms that I wouldn't buy used, unless their history is known.
1911s and ARs.
For some reason, there's a lot of otherwise sensible folks who just gotta' mess with them, even when they shouldn't.
Far more than any other types of guns.
Old June 17, 2015, 08:19 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

DixieGunsmithing - so Sarco is good to go? I'm only looking for frame components. Don't need a slide or barrel.
Old June 18, 2015, 06:04 AM   #12
skizzums

Quote:
there's two types of firearms that I wouldn't buy used, unless their history is known.1911s and ARs.
don't know why a used AR would be an issue. the most your looking at is throwing on a new barrel, I guess possibly a bolt, but not likely. 1911's I could see being a possible headache with worn slides etc though.
Old June 18, 2015, 10:25 AM   #13
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Gary, Sarco buys a lot of military surplus, so they may have everything, one just has to look. They used to have a several page ad in Shotgun News. They have what they call auto build kits for the 1911. which supposed to be everything but the slide, frame, and barrel, according to the kit.

Below is a link to their pistol parts:

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/pistolparts.aspx

1911 kit with barrel:

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911auto...eandslide.aspx