The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 5, 2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Earnhardtjr3829

Opinions on JC Higgins/ High Standard model 20

Hey everyone, just wanted to check on and see what everyone thinks about the value and performance of a JC Higgins model 20. It was marketed by Sears and I am pretty sure was made by High Standard as a model 200. Thanks for any input.
Old April 5, 2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Ga Johnny

I think I recall sears selling a model 200, that was similar to a winchester 1200 or 120 pump.
Old April 8, 2006, 02:37 PM   #3
Scorch

JC Higgins was the house brand for that once famous icon of high quality known as Montgomery Wards. Sears sold the Ted Williams line of guns.
Old April 8, 2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

"JC Higgins was the house brand for that once famous icon of high quality known as Montgomery Wards. Sears sold the Ted Williams line of guns"

Sorry, Sears sold guns under the Sears, Ted Williams, Ranger, AND JC Higgins brand names.

Montgomery Wards sold gun under the Wards, Western Field, and Hawthorn brand names.

The JC Higgins Model 20 is the High Standard Model 200.

High Standard got into the shotgun business fairly late, and didn't stay in it too long.
They started making shotguns in 1960, and stopped by 1975.

Most of HS's pump guns were marketed as the Flite King.
They made the Model 200 for Sears, and possible other catalog or chain stores.

HS's shotguns were good quality utility guns, and most owners liked them. Like most American pump shotguns, they were pretty fool-proof.

HS did make and sell a police model as the "Riot" and they also made the famous but ill-fated Model 10-A and 10-B bullpup auto shotguns based on their Supermatic auto shotgun.

Gun Parts Corporation sells most parts for the Model 200.
Old April 9, 2006, 09:14 PM   #5
ddhotbot

the higgens model 20 is a well built gun.its a all steel reciever ,walnut wood and the barrell screws into the reciever.if you are looking for a good hunting gun it will last you a lifetime or more.most only shoot 2-3/4" shells though.it was made by high standard and is good quality.most can be had for $100-$150 in great shape.most people want the new 3" guns with choke tubes.the model 20 can be found with the old polychoke somtimes.hope this helps don
Old April 9, 2006, 10:15 PM   #6
Ruger4570

I owned a JC Higgens, it was my first shotgun and all I could afford at the time. It worked fine and was pretty much bullet proof and never failed me. I just deceided I wanted to step up and traded it in on a Rem 1100 many years ago.