The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 6, 2012, 11:04 PM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBundy
So, just to make sure I understand, if I have my loaded .40 in my glove box in a snapped holster that would/should be legal? My only concern is because it would be loaded and I can't buy ammo I could get in trouble for that ...
Does the law say your father can't give you a box of .40 S&W ammunition? I think if you check you'll find that you can't buy it, but you can receive it as a gift. I'll almost bet that the law does NOT say you cannot possess handgun ammunition.
Old February 7, 2012, 04:48 AM   #27
MLeake

I don't get why people are saying he can't have ammo.

He can't buy handgun ammo until age 21, and he can't buy a handgun from an FFL in Florida until age 21.

He can certainly OWN a handgun and its ammo at age 18 plus in Florida; I did a couple decades or so ago. (Unless the law has become stricter, which I don't think it has.) I bought a GP100 in a private sale at age 20, and my mother used to buy .357 or .38 for me to keep it fed.

Not a lawyer, though - and it's always a good idea to get legal advice from a lawyer where you live.

(But he can own both the gun and ammo, and he should be able to keep it loaded, in his closed glove box.)

No on-the-body CCW until age 21, in FL, since FL requires one to be 21 to get the permit.
Old February 7, 2012, 07:38 AM   #28
Don P

Quote:
He can certainly OWN a handgun and its ammo at age 18 plus in Florida; I did a couple decades or so ago. (Unless the law has become stricter, which I don't think it has.) I bought a GP100 in a private sale at age 20, and my mother used to buy .357 or .38 for me to keep it fed.
From what I read from the book I posted about in post 21 he cannot buy the ammo.
As far as muzzle loaders Modern Muzzle loading, Inc. V. Magaw 18 F. Supp. 2d 29 Dist. Columbia 1998 and Bostic v. State 902 So. 2d 225 (Fla. 5DCA 2005)

Quote:
if I have my loaded .40 in my glove box in a snapped holster that
The handgun does not have to be in a snapped holster. Another one of those FLA myths
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; February 7, 2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old February 7, 2012, 10:05 PM   #29
5R milspec

one thing that came to mind.you may be able to carry if your on your way to say fishing or hunting.here in SC I carried in my glovebox my dads little 22.( at the age of 15 )when I got to the place I wanted to fish or hunt I put it on my side ( open carry )now 20 years latter the law still stands.but the pistol has to stay in the glovebox while in the car/truck and when at the fishing or hunting spot it then can be carried on the side.

this law is written in our fishing /hunting guid box( laws ).so you may be able to do the same.you just need to look to see if its a law under your fishig/hunting laws.

if so just make sure you are on your way to a good hunting or fishing spot.this is what I always answered to when asked why I had a pistol in my glovebox.and yes,I was pulled a few times for speeding with the pistol in the glovebox.I would just tell them it was in the glovebox before I went for the pappers he wanted.
Old February 8, 2012, 12:06 AM   #30
MLeake

Not being able to BUY ammo is not the same as not being able to OWN or POSSESS ammo.

Unless FL has changed, he can own or possess it.
Old February 8, 2012, 05:18 PM   #31
XxBulletBendeRxX

I understand your circumstances and think that once 18 you should be able to make your own decisions as an adult. Sure its legal that you have a pistol and ammo that has been gifted to you, that is fine and within the law. I know Being able to carry a pistol is comforting, esspecially in a bad area, [B]BUT[B], IMO I would not risk carring any firearm on your person weather it be, in your car, (glove box, under seat, etc.) open carry or concealed til you are 21 and get your carry permit. If you were to be stopped, and arrested you would never be able to do want you want to do in the near future. Even if you are correct, its probablly not going to stop the arresting officer to "do thier job." Police always say that they are just doing there job and you have to let the courts decide....... I know a couple years may seem like forever but we all had to wait til that 21st b-day to drink booze, buy a pistol and all other things "adults" 21 and over get to do LEGALLY.

Best of luck..... B.B.

Last edited by XxBulletBendeRxX; February 8, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old February 8, 2012, 09:05 PM   #32
MLeake

You don't need a permit to have a gun in the car in Florida.

The OP is in Florida.

Advice about other states doesn't pertain, unless he's taking a road trip.
Old February 8, 2012, 10:28 PM   #33
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
Not being able to BUY ammo is not the same as not being able to OWN or POSSESS ammo.
I agree. And stated as much a few posts above.
Old February 9, 2012, 01:32 AM   #34
MLeake

AB, I wasn't responding to your post, but to some subsequent ones. You and I are in agreement; I suspect the ones who disagree haven't paid attention to either of our posts, or looked at the Florida laws on possession.
Old February 9, 2012, 01:47 AM   #35
MLeake

Since I don't like to give bad advice, I decided a look-up was in order. Turns out my advice in this thread has been accurate... IE I remembered the laws correctly from when I lived in Florida, a few years back.

Caveat: I'm not a lawyer. For definitive answers, ask a lawyer. However, here are links to Florida statutes and regulatory guidance:

From http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf section on Florida:

Quote:
Florida
790.25 Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons
(5) Possession In Private Conveyance.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
790.001 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:
(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
While we're at it, there's a good review of Florida's Deadly Force laws on the Florida Dept of Agriculture website (Ag handles concealed permits in Florida, for some reason):

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/wea...f_defense.html
Old February 9, 2012, 02:31 AM   #36
AlBundy

Thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it.
Old February 9, 2012, 04:31 AM   #37
MLeake

Just remember, you would be legal in Florida, but crossing state lines could put you in potential legal jeopardy.

Check http://handgunlaw.us/ for starters, then figure out what agency controls firearms permits for any state you want to visit, and look up that agency's guidance on its official website.