The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 26, 2013, 10:47 AM   #1
TheFineLine

Rock River Arms 1st Responder, newb, suggestions-comments?

I just happened into a Rock River Arms 1st Responder with a ton of ammo and mags. It has had no modifications done and only about 250 rounds thru it. I'm very familiar with the AK system but know next to nothing about ARs. I'd appreciate any info. It was sold to LEOs only. Why would that be? Any thoughts on the rifle and suggested modifications would be appreciated. It will probably be used mostly at the range, but I'd like it to have a practicle setup in the event that......

Last edited by TheFineLine; April 26, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old April 26, 2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Quentin2

It depends on the specs and the price paid. RRA is not the best AR nor the worst. Is this built similar to RRA's DEA contract M4geries? A new Colt LE6920 can be found if you're lucky for around $1100 so I'd use that as a benchmark for any other patrol type AR available.
Old April 26, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
slim9300

I'll tell you the RRA trigger is 1000% better than the Colt.
Old April 26, 2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Quentin2

Quote:
I'll tell you the RRA trigger is 1000% better than the Colt.
1000%? Not likely! Which triggers on each?
Old April 26, 2013, 07:53 PM   #5
TheFineLine

The 1st Responder is similar to the LE1070 I think. Here's a link to their page with it and the specs.

I got it, 830 rounds of 556, and 4 mags for a NIB Rossi 357 levergun. Perty good deal!

Last edited by TheFineLine; April 26, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old April 27, 2013, 03:32 PM   #6
slim9300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post
1000%? Not likely! Which triggers on each?
I own both a RRA Entry Tactical (w/ lots of accessories) and a brand new Colt Socom. The RRA standard 2-stage that comes on all their rifles would be a HUGE upgrade for the Colt. Maybe 100% is a more accurate number but the Colt trigger is embarrassing IMHO. (Sloppy, rough and somewhere between a two-stage and single stage)
Old April 27, 2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Quentin2

C'mon slim, you're talking about a sample of one from each AR. And comparing a two-stage trigger to a single. Apples to oranges. I have milspec triggers from Daniel Defense (2), Stag (3), ArmaLite (1, not their two-stage they sell to RRA) and have tried Colt, S&W, BM, DTI and DPMS. Of those, the first thing that comes to mind is how different they are. You just can't say one milspec trigger out of a standard LPK will be better than another. You have to see what luck gave you this time.

Sorry to the OP, I'll try to stay on topic... Sounds like a great deal, especially with all that ammo!
Old April 27, 2013, 09:53 PM   #8
slim9300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post
C'mon slim, you're talking about a sample of one from each AR. And comparing a two-stage trigger to a single. Apples to oranges. I have milspec triggers from Daniel Defense (2), Stag (3), ArmaLite (1, not their two-stage they sell to RRA) and have tried Colt, S&W, BM, DTI and DPMS. Of those, the first thing that comes to mind is how different they are. You just can't say one milspec trigger out of a standard LPK will be better than another. You have to see what luck gave you this time.

Sorry to the OP, I'll try to stay on topic... Sounds like a great deal, especially with all that ammo!
Maybe you are right but this isn't the only Colt that I have fired. They all feel the same to me. Is there normally that much variance in different mil-spec triggers? IDK.
Old April 28, 2013, 12:20 AM   #9
TheFineLine

The trigger on it is a single stage. Check the link I put above on the specs. The trigger feels a bit spongy to me. Not at all crisp and smooth like the tapco g2 I've got on an AK. I will probably either have a trigger job done or replace it with a two stage.

I'm thinking of replacing the tube style foregrip with a rail setup, adding an optic, AFG2, light, and offset backup irons. What kind of accessories have y'all put on yours?
Old April 29, 2013, 10:21 PM   #10
HKFan9

Quote:
Funny considering half of those companies, including Colt for all of their rifles (civilian and military) buy their trigger components from CMT aka (Stag). Along with their uppers and lowers.

Everyone totes Colt like something magical still, and even after all of them I've owned, shot, or worked on, I still don't consider them the best. They are good, but they are still your basic mil spec rack rifle, which a lot of other companies build today.

People are really too nostalgic about them, up until a few years ago they were almost bankrupt, not a good sign for something that is supposed to be so amazing. They just lost a big chunk of their military contract to Remington as well.
Old April 29, 2013, 11:55 PM   #11
Quentin2

Any particular reason you quoted me HK?

Also Colt did not lose the M4 contract to Remington. Try FN.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:24 PM   #12
HKFan9

All 3 of them are producing for the Military now. Remington was also just handed a $80 million contract from the Pentagon to basically keep them from leaving NY also for precision rifles.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...for-m4-rifles/