The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 17, 2012, 12:08 AM   #1
taurus4life

doomsday preppers

has anyone watch this show on national geographic? seems pretty interesting. gives a lot of good survival ideas, plus some of these guys have very large gun collections.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:33 AM   #2
betterdays

If I was prepared for such a disaster I sure wouldn't want everyone to see it on national television lest the hungry neighbors come knocking at my door when a situation arises.

To keep the thread gun related.. One couple fired .22s at their steel shipping container fortress to test penetration and they were safisfied. Exactly how thick is a steel shipping container and how would it fare against larger caliber rifles?
Old February 17, 2012, 12:47 AM   #3
ScottRiqui

Shipping containers are usually 14-gauge mild steel. I wouldn't rely on one for any kind of bullet resistance.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:49 AM   #4
vranasaurus

Anyone sitting on a hoard of valuables like smaug is going to be a target in such a scenario. It is unlikely that they could defend their hoard against the masses. In a doomsday scenario the sound of gunfire would indicate something worth fighting for and attract more attention.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:51 AM   #5
taurus4life

i do agree that there is no way i would be revealing my plans and where i lived when i've been planning that long. i'm sure there are people out there with 10 times the prepping these people do but are probably smart ebough to keep there mouths shut.

Quote:
To keep the thread gun related.. One couple fired .22s at their steel shipping container fortress to test penetration and they were safisfied. Exactly how thick is a steel shipping container and how would it fare against larger caliber rifles?
most are 14 gauge steel with is about 3/4 inch thick.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:58 AM   #6
SamNavy

^Yeah... those retards with the shipping container fortress are preparing for when the Earths magnetic poles flip-flop and cause massive planet-wide destruction. The guy in charge was very descriptive of how bad the devastating earthquakes would be.

Hmmm... so to prep for massive earthquakes, he puts 20 years worth of food in glass jars on shelves. Brilliant.

As for shooting at the shipping container, they didn't shoot at the side... they shot at the corner post, which has got to be extremely thick as it's a loadbearing and lift-point.

The bottom line from that show is that everybody they featured on it will probably be the first to die off.
Old February 17, 2012, 01:01 AM   #7
taurus4life

Quote:
Shipping containers are usually 14-gauge mild steel. I wouldn't rely on one for any kind of bullet resistance.
i would think is would be pretty effective against most handgun ammunition and even some small rifle calibers
Old February 17, 2012, 01:03 AM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Only peripherally gun related. Plus, we don't do TSHTF or TEOTWAWKI on TFL and that's where this thread will inevitably go if it's not there already.